Tried the Wilson Cortex - Initial Thoughts & Pics

Our Sponsors

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a chance to go to Golf Galaxy over the weekend and they had the Wilson Cortex on display.  Tried out the 9* head w/ the Fujikura Atmos Blue which on paper is the shaft that should suit me the best

This, in my opinion, is an out-dated and not entirely convincing argument. Callaway and Tour Edge both make boxed sets available at places like WalMart. Tour Edge's higher end line is the Tour Edge Ex

I have to agree with you on this. Using my BMX history as an example, I used to get a bunch of flack from other kids because I rode a Mongoose (we're talking early 2000's Mongoose, not 1970/80's Mongo

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

Every review on youtube so far has had 2-4 mph less ballspeed, same with the C300. 

Everyone?  Rick Shiels review shows 111 CHS and 160.9 BS and that is 1mph slower than his optimal swing speed and above average for ball speed.  Plus keep in mind if he went with a shaft that is better suited for him to reduced the spin and help with launch, the cortex may very well be better than his G400 LST.  As it is he is within a yard or 2 in carry with of his fully fitted driver.  I just don't think your blanket statement that everybody is seeing less ball speed is correct.  It may very well be true for you and some others but certainly not everybody.  

On a side note, not everybody is concerned with ball speed.  I will gladly give up 5-10 yards to find the fairway more often.

• Like 2

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

Thank you so much for the review. I enjoyed reading it immensely.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

On 12/8/2018 at 3:35 PM, Kor.A.Door said:

. I wish I could like this one after watching the show,

Why?? It' s just a driver that got hyped up by a television show.  

• Like 1

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

14 hours ago, JbcobbIII said:

If the Cortex is equal to the major OEMs in performance and price, most people will choose the other brands! Wilson should have priced this driver at $400-450 to get more people to stop and take a look.

I agree. To win at retail this driver has to outperform other drivers, because at the price point people will go with more trusted brands. This year is shaping up to the Year of the Driver, so Wilson will have it's work cut out for it. 

A high-spin driver is not what the majority of the golfing public wants either, so it will be hard to win on the launch monitor if that's the reality. If I can spin an M1 above 4000 with the weights forward, I wonder what score I can get on this one!!!

• Like 1

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

16 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

Why?? It' s just a driver that got hyped up by a television show.  

I didn’t like this one at all through the show, I felt like the Rozwell was better. I should have clarified why. I watch every elisode, and for me, as I watched, the better numbers all came from the Rozwell, I was looking forward to hitting that one, so I have no desire to hit a 400 dollar driver that I have no interest in. 

• Like 2

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

8 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

I agree. To win at retail this driver has to outperform other drivers, because at the price point people will go with more trusted brands. This year is shaping up to the Year of the Driver, so Wilson will have it's work cut out for it. 

A high-spin driver is not what the majority of the golfing public wants either, so it will be hard to win on the launch monitor if that's the reality. If I can spin an M1 above 4000 with the weights forward, I wonder what score I can get on this one!!!

The WS technology hasn't caught up with the WS marketing. DvD has an appeal to a niche customer base. But, that base also has pretty good knowledge about what they're looking for (re:data). So again, as stated in an earlier post, this driver once the price is lowered may have an appeal to the non discriminating economic buyer wowed by the looks.. 

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

This is why the Tour Edge EXS driver has moved up to #1 on my list. Good reviews, performance numbers look good, low spin and good MOI, and $299.99. That's hard to beat!

To be fair it goes the same way for the TEE EXS at $299. For that price you can get a new Ping G400 (non max) driver with the drop in prices now.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

I hit the G400 Max. I didn't care for it. Felt like swinging a shoebox on a stick.

Did you try any other G400’s?

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

The G400 LST is a special club!

Ohhh it sure is

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

The Cortex is a driver that can stand with the other drivers.

I did a review of the driver cortex review

The specs are interesting at not the standard OEM specs. particularly in length and swing weight.

I really didn't think the Fuji shaft was going to work in the club because of my previous bias to the construction of other models, thinking they were all the same. Wellllll,.. come to find out Im a bonehead and this white ATMOS is a pretty nice shaft.

I only wish Wilson would make this a part of one of their categories. There is a driver for the D and C models. How about putting it in the F category and follow it with a hybrid or FW. 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg ACCRA tour Z GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - 33" 3 deg loft 70 lie, lrg slight line slightly toe hang

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

No matter what the ball speed or distance numbers are, the only number that really matters is price. I can't see anyone picking this up at $499, even W/S homers.

• Like 4

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

21 minutes ago, JbcobbIII said:

I can't figure out why the DvD drivers (that sounds ridiculous as I type it), are stand alone clubs. As mentioned above, why not make it an F, C, D model? 

Because it’s not as much about the driver as it is the show and  uioding brand recognition and changing the perception of the brand.  The driver and “design” process is the tool used to draw attention to the show and brand 

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

45 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Because it’s not as much about the driver as it is the show and  uioding brand recognition and changing the perception of the brand.  The driver and “design” process is the tool used to draw attention to the show and brand 

The problem with Wilson trying to build brand recognition is that Wilson still makes boxed clubs. They really should change the name of the upper line from Wilson Staff to Prostaff or something similar. That would take away any perception of Wilson not being an upper echelon brand.  

• Like 2

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock