Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Trouble with the hybrid

As we all know, in our sport, we have our favorite clubs and our weak clubs. My favorites are my 7i, 9i, PW. Those are the clubs that I never seem to fail on making decent contact. But my worst clubs are my hybrid and 3 wood. I cannot hit those...about 3 weeks ago I was at Dicks Sporting goods, hitting some hybrids and the pro there told me to slow my speed down and use it like an iron. I must say it worked rather well. So I’m hoping towards the middle of this coming season I can find a constant performance with my hybrid. I found that if I address the ball mid front, slight bend of knees and slow swing speed, I make solid contact...my question is, for the more experienced players, any other tips on finding constant performance with the hybrid? I love mine to death but I can’t seem to be consistent and it drives me crazy on the course. And I know that if I can find that happy medium, it will also help improve my game and scores.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

SFT. 

SEE IT. FEEL IT. TRUST IT. 

If you hit your irons really well, try taking the hybrid out of the bag and replacing it with the iron of the same degree. The hybrid was designed for those who couldn't hit an iron. But perhaps you'd be better off with irons. Everyone is different in what they hit well, so experiment a little until you find a club that works for you.

You mentioned the 3 wood being hard too. Try switching to a 4 wood, which I did, and found that a 16.5 degree fairway wood works much better for me then a 3 wood.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

As we all know, in our sport, we have our favorite clubs and our weak clubs. My favorites are my 7i, 9i, PW. Those are the clubs that I never seem to fail on making decent contact. But my worst clubs are my hybrid and 3 wood. I cannot hit those...about 3 weeks ago I was at Dicks Sporting goods, hitting some hybrids and the pro there told me to slow my speed down and use it like an iron. I must say it worked rather well. So I’m hoping towards the middle of this coming season I can find a constant performance with my hybrid. I found that if I address the ball mid front, slight bend of knees and slow swing speed, I make solid contact...my question is, for the more experienced players, any other tips on finding constant performance with the hybrid? I love mine to death but I can’t seem to be consistent and it drives me crazy on the course. And I know that if I can find that happy medium, it will also help improve my game and scores.

Jonathan, we're in love with the same clubs 7-PW. My hybrids (19*,22*, 26*) are temperamental on the fairway but excel in the first cut and the rough. I also use my hybrids on long par 3's off the tee - especially on holes where the greens are elevated.

There are quite a few videos on hybrids - better yet, a quick lesson with your pro will solve the problem. While ball position is important, for me, tempo is even more so.

Now a 3 wood - different story. I was so frustrated with mine that I sold it. However, I'm committed in 2019 to learning how to hit this club since I need the distance of a 3 wood. So in order: get fit/buy new 3 wood, take a couple of lessons, and practice, practice, practice.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If you hit your irons really well, try taking the hybrid out of the bag and replacing it with the iron of the same degree. The hybrid was designed for those who couldn't hit an iron. But perhaps you'd be better off with irons. Everyone is different in what they hit well, so experiment a little until you find a club that works for you.

You mentioned the 3 wood being hard too. Try switching to a 4 wood, which I did, and found that a 16.5 degree fairway wood works much better for me then a 3 wood.

I’ll have to try that. Never thought of that.

Jonathan, we're in love with the same clubs 7-PW. My hybrids (19*,22*, 26*) are temperamental on the fairway but excel in the first cut and the rough. I also use my hybrids on long par 3's off the tee - especially on holes where the greens are elevated.

There are quite a few videos on hybrids - better yet, a quick lesson with your pro will solve the problem. While ball position is important, for me, tempo is even more so.

Now a 3 wood - different story. I was so frustrated with mine that I sold it. However, I'm committed in 2019 to learning how to hit this club since I need the distance of a 3 wood. So in order: get fit/buy new 3 wood, take a couple of lessons, and practice, practice, practice.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I’ll check the videos out. Thanks Tony

SFT. 

For me,  hitting both clubs is about not over swinging and finding the right ball position.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I always thought that I needed a 3W, but I could never hit it very well so I went to a 5W.  It was better, but not all that much different than my 22º 4H which I hit pretty well.  I finally decided to try a 17º 2H, and it has quickly become one of my favorite clubs.  I hit it further and higher than any FW, and I have been pretty consistent with it.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Depending on your swing speed you may actually hit a five wood farther due to the shorter shaft making a better strike more likely. I have a 3 wood I've had for the last five years and the one prior a bit longer. That's the club in the bag that is hardest to find for many and when you do - it stays put!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Lol be like Nike and just do it🤣🤣🤣 love ya bro, but seriously there is so much involved in a swing it’s truly hard to keep track of everything. What I will tell you is start with something “simple”
There was a great (at this time I don’t remember who) and it won’t be exactly right, but they said something along the lines of. 90% of the game of golf is played between the space of your ears. You need to get out of your own way first. I you don’t think you can hit this club then you never will. And when all else fails I know a guy who knows a guy who’s going to be getting their pro card to allow for teaching next year.

For me,  hitting both clubs is about not over swinging and finding the right ball position.  

I am in Cnosil’s corner on this one. I struggled for years with my 3 wood and then I didn’t! I didn’t because I changed my set up by moving the ball a little back from my left heal closer to center. Changed the swing to more of a downward strike rather than a sweeping motion. Slowed my tempo and accentuated a more draw swing path. Now it’s probably my most versatile club.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Like a few other posters mentioned, sometimes getting either the equivalent iron or fairway wood is better. I hit my Heavenwood far better than any hybrid, so I keep a 4i in my bag for punch shots and that's it. Hit a few different style clubs and see what works best, sometimes the "easy to hit" hybrid isn't always the answer. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I too struggled with hybrids despite buying 3 of them for the bag. I then discovered the Maltby KE4 HDI iron hybrid (sadly, no longer available) and loved them. You could do a demo with the Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Hi https://benhogangolf.com/collections/demo-clubs-program/products/demo-ft-worth-hi-22-utility-iron and see how you go with that.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I too struggled with hybrids despite buying 3 of them for the bag. I then discovered the Maltby KE4 HDI iron hybrid (sadly, no longer available) and loved them. You could do a demo with the Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Hi https://benhogangolf.com/collections/demo-clubs-program/products/demo-ft-worth-hi-22-utility-iron and see how you go with that.

I will check that out.

SFT. 

Anything I’d want to say has been said. Go with the lessons and ask the teacher, who sees you swing, what he or she recommends. Tons of great advice here, the question is which piece of it is best for you.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went and seen the “pro” at dicks sporting goods and he let me swing one hybrids on their simulator and he watched me swing about 50-60x. He told me one simple thing.....swing it like an iron. I said ok. Took another 20 swings with my hybrid that I brought with me and to my surprise....not many issues. I still caught some thin a few times but in the end, I just have to remind myself to play it like an iron and I’ll be fine.

SFT. 

Archived