TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dscovery, Golf TV and Tiger Woods Partner on New Streaming Venture

Golfspy_CG2

I think there is a lot to discuss here, and I'm sure more details to come but here's just one article announcing  the new venture. 

Tiger Partners with Discovery and Golf TV

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

To me I think the timing of this announcement has to be the positive results that came out of The Match pay per view event.   I know some on here will argue and not unreasonably so that there is too much Tiger coverage.   Well as we have discussed before the overall viewing public has proven with their money and the viewing habits, that they will generally watch anything Tiger related. 

You will note the article does not mention any coverage during the actual tour event, as that is currently under contract with the networks.  But it appears anything post and pre round is fair game.    

Also I don't think it's a major leap to see Tiger creating more of his own off schedule events wither with limited fields or one on one matches, but tournaments or matches outside of the PGA Tour that he would have the rights to. 

This will definitely be something worth following to see how it all shapes up.

I, for one, am pretty excited to hear this.  Let's take advantage of watching this guy play while we can.  It's not every year that an all time great gets his tour card and dominates the sport for the next decade.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I was reading an article yesterday at Outkick saying that ESPN has lost 2 million subscribers in fiscal year 2018, and they are down from 100 million subscribers to just 86 million since 2011, this announcement is a reflection of that trend, and I think it's the direction that all content providers are heading towards.

Bluntly put, the cable TV model is dead, which I also see reflected in the PGA Tour trying the online streaming PPV service during morning portions of PGA Tour events.  This venture with Tiger Woods was something I at hypothesized with friends, saying that they might as well give Tiger his own channel, and charge people whatever a month to subscribe to it, because that is where all of this is headed.

The disconnect I see is between the popularity of someone like Woods, and the willingness of young tech savvy viewers to pony up $10 or $20 a month, or whatever the subscription fee is to pay to watch Tiger Woods on his own video on demand streaming network.  People are cutting the cable cord because of cost, and opting for more economical options that are a lot more limited, like Netflix, but are offering them content that they want to see.  And the reason people are willing to pay Netflix a monthly fee is that they feel that the value of the offerings they are receiving for their money is justified.

Therein lies the ultimate question.  Is just offering people the option of Tiger Woods on his own channel enough to persuade enough people to pay for it?  Personally, I think that even as incredibly popular as Tiger is you are going to need a lot more content variety then just Tiger Woods on this channel to make people want to pay for it.  Now whether that means you start with just Tiger, and then sign on some other big name golfers/athletes/celebrities later down the road once this thing takes off, is something I would think is already being discussed.  Because I think Tiger by himself has very limited potential from a profitability perspective.  But mix in 6 or 7 other really popular golfers/athletes/celebrities, and I think you have a winner that would entice enough people to pay for it to see it.

All that said, you have to start somewhere, and I think this is the wave of the future, and you are going to see a lot more of these types of announcements in the near future as more people fire cable, and choose to stream their content online.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I agree with a lot of that GSwag.  Particularly to sustain the viability of it, it will take more than just Tiger.  And also it being the way content is going to be distributed an consumed as we get further down the road from the typical cable package.   I believe the numbers you stated in regards to ESPN are very similar to what I have read as well.

This venture also says to me that we as consumers are going to have a lot of "Ala Carte" choices in what we subscribe to and view online.   Until this summer when TXG announced it was going on Patreon, I had never herd of it.   Since then I have seen two other media outlets that I have followed--for free mind you--go that route.    While I think it's a unique way to engage, I certainly don't see myself shelling out anywhere from $4 to $50 per month depending on the level of each channel that you subscribe to.   I think you put this as just one example along with the growing number of pod casts, and subscription services such as NetFlix, Hulu, Apple TV and I'm sure others I'm not aware of.   You could end up paying several hundred dollars a month, and I'm sure not even have the time to watch all the content.

Ok, I got down a rabbit hole there that got off track of the topic, but in summary.   I agree it will ultimately take more than Tiger to sustain this type content I would think.   But he's a great place to start. 

31 minutes ago, GSwag said:

I was reading an article yesterday at Outkick saying that ESPN has lost 2 million subscribers in fiscal year 2018, and they are down from 100 million subscribers to just 86 million since 2011, this announcement is a reflection of that trend, and I think it's the direction that all content providers are heading towards.

Bluntly put, the cable TV model is dead, which I also see reflected in the PGA Tour trying the online streaming PPV service during morning portions of PGA Tour events.  This venture with Tiger Woods was something I at hypothesized with friends, saying that they might as well give Tiger his own channel, and charge people whatever a month to subscribe to it, because that is where all of this is headed.

The disconnect I see is between the popularity of someone like Woods, and the willingness of young tech savvy viewers to pony up $10 or $20 a month, or whatever the subscription fee is to pay to watch Tiger Woods on his own video on demand streaming network.  People are cutting the cable cord because of cost, and opting for more economical options that are a lot more limited, like Netflix, but are offering them content that they want to see.  And the reason people are willing to pay Netflix a monthly fee is that they feel that the value of the offerings they are receiving for their money is justified.

Therein lies the ultimate question.  Is just offering people the option of Tiger Woods on his own channel enough to persuade enough people to pay for it?  Personally, I think that even as incredibly popular as Tiger is you are going to need a lot more content variety then just Tiger Woods on this channel to make people want to pay for it.  Now whether that means you start with just Tiger, and then sign on some other big name golfers/athletes/celebrities later down the road once this thing takes off, is something I would think is already being discussed.  Because I think Tiger by himself has very limited potential from a profitability perspective.  But mix in 6 or 7 other really popular golfers/athletes/celebrities, and I think you have a winner that would entice enough people to pay for it to see it.

All that said, you have to start somewhere, and I think this is the wave of the future, and you are going to see a lot more of these types of announcements in the near future as more people fire cable, and choose to stream their content online.

GSwag, I'd agree the cable model is dead - they just don't realize it. I'm all for the Discovery venture - they've been pretty effective with their channels and content. Bringing in TW is a nice add, however, I hope they add other Pro's as well. The ability to get behind the scenes and see the practice routines, prep for Tour events, the decision making that goes into which event to play would be hugely interesting to golfers. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

This is a very interesting development.  I wonder if this sparked from THE MATCH to bring a bigger audience to golf. Regardless, I wouldn't mind watching content of TW doing his best golf and sharing to the world! 

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

I'm not going to wade into the whole is Cable dead/is Streaming the future debate that we may have been doing here because it would take a long time to parse my thoughts on all those surrounding issues. I'm going to take this this time to present what I think may be some unique programming opportunities that this type of collaboration could bring to golf fans.

- Mondays At Medalist: This was the first thing I immediately thought of. Building off the tradition of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf and the success of The Match, every week for a 12-16 week run, taped over the winter break and aired after the golf season ends of throughout the year get some of the best from the the multitude of touring pros who live in the greater Jupiter area for head to head matches, for charity or their own cash. Easy way to get golf content and good content people would like to see

- TGR By Design: So, TGR Inc. has a design branch and I'm a design nerd and think hearing how one of the best players of his generation approaches designing golf courses to be enjoyed by the masses. An in-depth look at TGR Design including site visits and renderings of potential layouts and tracks would be really cool for us golf course design nuts out there.

- Junior Golf: Look, I know people have said that Tiger has no duty to give back to golf and he doesn't, but a junior golf tour for minorities would be really really cool. I'd love to see it and it would be a cool thing to have out there, maybe even playing for scholarships to the Foundation

- The Foundation: Speaking of, I could see Discovery working with Tiger to provide some cool experiences and educational programing for his Foundation, especially in the STEM space which is what the Learning Lab focuses on.

- Tiger Ambush: Did you know that a group of Tigers is called an ambush? I didn't, just learned it as a matter of fact. Could you imagine a Tiger Woods/Undercover Boss limited event series for hardcore Tiger fans? Could be fun.

Those are just some out there ideas past the first one, which just makes good sense. We'll see.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Archived