TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club Condition and Maintenance

ga_pike

Recently, GSwag and I had an informal discussion about clubs and condition.  I prefer the work look and he seems to prefer the clean, pristine look (at least in putters).  So I went back and looked in my bag and my clubs are beat up, worn in and well used.  My putter is rusty (on purpose) same as my wedges.  My irons (both the XR Pro and Miuras) are nicked and show wear on the soles and faces.  My woods, while I do keep them in headcovers, show normal wear and I don't do anything extra special to keep them looking new other than wiping them off after shots.  

I really like seeing a tour player with irons that have the wear dots on the faces...  nicked and dinged up.  Makes them seem more like a players club.  I guess it's similar to guitars to me.  A brand new, perfect guitar just looks like a wanna be player...  not to mention that they play better when broken in good.  

So what do you prefer? 

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

36 minutes ago, ga_pike said:

Recently, GSwag and I had an informal discussion about clubs and condition.  I prefer the work look and he seems to prefer the clean, pristine look (at least in putters).  So I went back and looked in my bag and my clubs are beat up, worn in and well used.  My putter is rusty (on purpose) same as my wedges.  My irons (both the XR Pro and Miuras) are nicked and show wear on the soles and faces.  My woods, while I do keep them in headcovers, show normal wear and I don't do anything extra special to keep them looking new other than wiping them off after shots.  

I really like seeing a tour player with irons that have the wear dots on the faces...  nicked and dinged up.  Makes them seem more like a players club.  I guess it's similar to guitars to me.  A brand new, perfect guitar just looks like a wanna be player...  not to mention that they play better when broken in good.  

So what do you prefer? 

I'm the opposite and probably too OCD. I clean mine after every round including grips then they all get headcovers put on til the next round. But then that's the way I am about everything. Don't even ask about my boat and cars 😂

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I am in the clean and nice look. I work to avoid dings and nicks in my clubs. Wedges are probably at the bottom of the list, they need to look used.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

55 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I'm the opposite and probably too OCD. I clean mine after every round including grips then they all get headcovers put on til the next round. But then that's the way I am about everything. Don't even ask about my boat and cars 😂

+1 except my PE2's have, arguably, the best wearing finish of any irons made, so no covers for them.  They do get cleaned after every round or practice session.  Clean clubs = improved aerodynamics and faster club head speed 👍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

13 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Clean clubs = improved aerodynamics and faster club head speed 👍

Yup the caked on mud from my fat shots always slows down my SS 🤣🤣

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Lol. I need to introduce you to Eric. If you think my clubs are clean. Lol. Dude spit shines his clubs after every shot and has headcovers for all 14 of his clubs. According to him, I’m a slob. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I try to keep mine looking as nice as possible but it’s only a personal preference. If a wear spot appears then oh well but I do clean my gear frequently...

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I keep mine clean and looking as nice as possible. Same with my drums, cymbals, and guitars.

Why would someone want anything of value that intentionally looks like crap?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I keep all of my clubs except wedges in perfect condition. My woods, irons, and putter are cleaned after every shot and after every round. My wedges on the other hand... I like to look a little beat up. I still clean them after every shot, but I let them get a little dinged up and like the dime sized wear spots in the center. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Something I picked up in the military... “Take good care of your gear, and your gear will take good care of you.”

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

11 hours ago, CFrazier said:

Something I picked up in the military... “Take good care of your gear, and your gear will take good care of you.”

Indeed! I don't spit-shine mine like GSwag's buddy, but I do scrub them all down after every round in hot soapy water with an old toothbrush. I've also gotten into the habit of wetting one of my towels so I can wipe down my clubs after each shot-especially my wedges. I also have a brush on my bag to scrub into the grooves if needed. Clean clubs simply give me confidence that they'll perform like new every time.

There's a lot of differing opinions on wedges, but I see a lot of fellas lean toward the "rusty patina" look. I'm a little unsure about this for me, but thus far with my Stealth wedges, the finish on them have held up very well and still look real good when cleaned up. Very impressive and it suits my OCD.

A dinged or crusty putter wouldn't make it into my bag. Putters should look brand new and shiny even if 100-yrs old. But that's just me.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Things are just things but having to work hard to get things no matter what things they are I always take good care of my things.

While I do believe there is a performance advantage to taking care of your golf equipment I also prescribe to a certain level of karma and superstition.

Incidentally I wipe my shoes after every round then finish them off with a spritz of auto leather interior cleaner/conditioner.

By the way I wash both my carry bag and cart bag once a month with fabric cleaner.

Finally, I iron everything and will not wear a pair of shorts, pants or shirt out of a hot dryer without going over them with a iron.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I clean my clubs after each shot but not after the round. My clubs look used and that’s how I want them.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Wipe after every shot, they stay nice

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

My cars are always perfectly clean...  but that comes with being a car nut and owning classics.  

And it's not that I neglect my clubs...  but I dig the look of worn in stuff that shows signs of use.  Brand new looking, spotless, perfect clubs (or guitars) just scream that they don't get used much and someone is more about their looks as opposed to their game.  

To each their own...  but I am a bit surprised at the number of responses that people prefer to keep their clubs pristine.  I expected to see the opposite.  Interesting. 

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

14 minutes ago, ga_pike said:

My cars are always perfectly clean...  but that comes with being a car nut and owning classics.  

And it's not that I neglect my clubs...  but I dig the look of worn in stuff that shows signs of use.  Brand new looking, spotless, perfect clubs (or guitars) just scream that they don't get used much and someone is more about their looks as opposed to their game.  

To each their own...  but I am a bit surprised at the number of responses that people prefer to keep their clubs pristine.  I expected to see the opposite.  Interesting. 

I think there's a difference between worn looking and clean. I have a set of G20s (now retired) that are definitely worn on the face but on the other hand they're also clean. I do use covers even when I'm in the cart, especially on my long irons because I don't want them nicking the shafts of my hybrids. Oh and my putter - definitely worn looking but the grip is always nice and clean. Just personal preference. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I like things that are worn due to proper use, but still clean. My guitar shows wear on the fretboard but the body is not banged up. Likewise, my club faces show wear (I wish it was always in the center of the face) but are still in great shape for clubs that are 9 years old. I don’t clean them after every shot but I do clean them after the round.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:
pxg-small.jpg 0811 Prototype Driver: (10.5 / s-flex)
image.png.cb4b01bb138fdc7ddf4f5e9396a76d82.png   Sub 70 Pro Tour Fairway 3W (15 / s-flex)
pxg-small.jpg 0341 Prototype, 5W (18, s-flex)
pxg-small.jpg 0311, 4-PW, (+1/2" / +2 up) ProjX LZ 6.0
pxg-small.jpg 0311 wedges, 52, 56, 60 degree
TommyArmour.jpg.d3c9da7d74a401e95b625f92af834200.jpg Impact No.3, Putter 35"

Dexterity: Right-handed

Archived