Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver age

Walkin

I could be wrong (have I ever said that and meant it?) but didn't they freeze the rebound on drivers in 2007? To my limited thinking the only

improvements would be adjustments for left and right and high and low ball control. So I haven't upgraded my 07 Taylormade. Your opinions

on what I'm missing and why would be appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, Walkin said:

I could be wrong (have I ever said that and meant it?) but didn't they freeze the rebound on drivers in 2007? To my limited thinking the only

improvements would be adjustments for left and right and high and low ball control. So I haven't upgraded my 07 Taylormade. Your opinions

on what I'm missing and why would be appreciated. 

While you are correct in the fact that the CT or "rebound effect" has been capped at 242 (+/- 15), drivers today offer more consistent distance.  If you hit the center of the face every time you aren't missing anything, however if you miss the center you are missing the forgiveness of newer offerings.  When people talk about forgiveness, not only are they talking about hitting the ball straighter, they are talking about not losing ball speed on off-center hits.  This leads to more consistent distance across the face.  

Another thing worth noting on drivers from the last 5 or 6 years is the fact that they have a lot of adjustability.  This allows a lot more options in getting a correct fit.

I would suggest going to a fitting to see if you are missing another with your current driver.  That is the only way to know for sure but if you are happy with the results of what you have, that is all that matters.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Blackngold…………...ok I'm busted. Was just looking for a good excuse to buy a new $500. (?) driver. I knew people here would come up with good reasons for updating. You are correct a fitting for head AND shaft would be "required". Appreciate your input.

New materials, changes in face design, different center if gravity  placement, shafts designed better to work with heads. Once getting beyond 2-3 years improvements will be seen

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If you watch the Rick Shields video comparing 5 generations of Ping Drivers he got a very small distance improvement between the G20 and Ping's most recent G400. My personal experience is between my old driver (I use to game a G20) and my most recent driver an Epic GBB is that the distance isn't much different  but the dispersion is a lot tighter (especially now that I have it dialed in).  

BTW, mod's if you're reading,  I'd love to be a tester for the new F-9 or whatever is the next version of the G400 😉

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Well, newer drivers are more forgiving on off center hits, the dispersion is tighter, the spin is lower, and there have been many advances in shaft technology. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Like other posters have noted, there have still been plenty of advancements in material design, weighting, shafts, you name it. Distance on center hits may not vary very much, but for the majority of golfers who need help with dispersion, even a driver a few years newer could yield much better results than something that's been in your bag for a few seasons.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 12/2/2018 at 9:30 AM, blackngold_blood said:

While you are correct in the fact that the CT or "rebound effect" has been capped at 242 (+/- 15), drivers today offer more consistent distance.  If you hit the center of the face every time you aren't missing anything, however if you miss the center you are missing the forgiveness of newer offerings.  When people talk about forgiveness, not only are they talking about hitting the ball straighter, they are talking about not losing ball speed on off-center hits.  This leads to more consistent distance across the face.  

Another thing worth noting on drivers from the last 5 or 6 years is the fact that they have a lot of adjustability.  This allows a lot more options in getting a correct fit.

I would suggest going to a fitting to see if you are missing another with your current driver.  That is the only way to know for sure but if you are happy with the results of what you have, that is all that matters.

@Walkin

@blackngold_blood is spot on! It's misleading for sure, but when golf ads say "X" driver is longer, it's because it is - based on averages across the face. That's not to say that every new driver is going to be longer for every player (there are a variety of factors that contribute to one's ability to hit the ball further), but more than likely you will have little to no trouble improving on your '07 model. Even making a 5-6 year jump in technology would be noticeable.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 12/2/2018 at 10:52 AM, tony@CIC said:

If you watch the Rick Shields video comparing 5 generations of Ping Drivers he got a very small distance improvement between the G20 and Ping's most recent G400. My personal experience is between my old driver (I use to game a G20) and my most recent driver an Epic GBB is that the distance isn't much different  but the dispersion is a lot tighter (especially now that I have it dialed in).  

BTW, mod's if you're reading,  I'd love to be a tester for the new F-9 or whatever is the next version of the G400 😉

That's a subtle hint Tony. Love it

😍

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

That's a subtle hint Tony. Love it

Hopefully it wasn't too subtle.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

31 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Hopefully it wasn't too subtle. emoji23.png

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I think they might be able to dechipher it.😉

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

On 12/2/2018 at 10:39 AM, Walkin said:

Blackngold…………...ok I'm busted. Was just looking for a good excuse to buy a new $500. (?) driver. I knew people here would come up with good reasons for updating. You are correct a fitting for head AND shaft would be "required". Appreciate your input.

If you're looking for excuses to buy stuff....stick around here and by tomorrow you'll have reasons for 14 new clubs, a bag, and a ton of other goodies!

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Archived