Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Quitting golf cold turkey

Big money

Ran into a former colleague while Christmas shopping.We started sharing old past stories about our lives.Knowing he was an very avid golfer. I decided asking him how his golf game was going.Was very shocked when he told me he quit ‘cold turkey’ a few years ago.His reasoning was lack of interest.Ive never heard of avid golfers just quitting (barring injuries or life changing events).Anyone else have past avid golf buddies just up and quit?

Keep it in the short stuff

I had a friend who gave it up for similar reasons. He started playing again 3 years ago after about a 10 year break

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I've given up on interests in the past when they got boring. Generally, for me at least, they got boring because I had gotten so good at them that they were no longer challenging. Golf is an entirely different animal I can't ever imagine golf becoming boring unless I only played the same 9 hole course every day. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I have a friend that just quit (although I've managed to get him on the course once in the last few years) - his priorities changed. He was single when we started playing and now has a family. He was also a pretty good golfer but decided he didn't have the time to maintain and got frustrated with not being able to perform to the level he was used to. I get that. That is exactly why I quit playing softball - when I lost a step or two (or ten) and could no longer make the throws I used to.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Not necessarily in golf, but other sports I know of a few friends who although talented just decided it wasn't worth the time anymore. I have done the same with curling. Played for 24 years and lost interest in playing competitively so this year has been the first year I haven't thrown a stone. Don't even know where my gear is.
At some point for many if you don't have the desire to get better or continue to practice in order to play at a certain level it isn't worth it to continue.
I think eventually most will come back because they miss certain aspects of it, but it may be on a different level then before.
I'd say this happens more with golfers who are really good when they are young and just get burnt out!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

There are days I've certainly thought about it 🤣.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I’ve just recently quit playing drums cold turkey-

Late nights and all the hassle of set up and tear down along with band drama 101 reached the point of nah, I’d rather go to bed and wake up early for golf or fishing. And actually my game has improved...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I quit playing for roughly 3 years. Granted a fire was a big cause of that burning my clubs to a crisp, but I was kind of in the same boat. I didn’t have the time to put into my game to improve and I was tired of being stuck at a 4 handicap so I just stopped playing. My best friend was about to get married and I was in his wedding and his bachelor party was -8 holes at a private club. He told me he would loan me a set for the round and that I had to come play. I shot a 74 and at the end of the round he gave me the set of clubs.... talk about good friends. With that experience I have yet again been bitten by the golf bug.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I almost went cold turkey on golf this season. Was always looking for improvement.So I did the smart thing and took numerous lessons over the last decade  thinking this would make me better. I’ve always followed their advice and worked my tail off for a chance of playing better. No matter how much effort my return was terrible. My game completely tanked into the abyss. The lack of interest from complete frustration was overwhelming. Now I’m going into golf next year with a thought of just have fun and swing your swing . I’m still amazed how I can hit a ball always in play with no thought using a terrible swing according to them. Versus their ideal motion for me and hit it all over the place. 

When one quits in a perceived "cold turkey" manner, perhaps in the back of their mind, they know they can return if they wish.   Believe me, when your doctors won't let you play for almost a year and creates fear that you may never play again, the concept of "cold turkey" is not an option.  In my case, due to age and health concerns, my opportunity to play is limited (excessive heat and CPO will do it).  But when I quit trying, it will be because I have become a "cold turkey", in a manner of speaking.  

21 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

I’ve just recently quit playing drums cold turkey-

Late nights and all the hassle of set up and tear down along with band drama 101 reached the point of nah, I’d rather go to bed and wake up early for golf or fishing. And actually my game has improved...

Oh man I could NEVER quit drums cold turkey, but I have quit playing gigs for those exact reasons. 

Back on topic - I have 2 friends who quit. They put the clubs away one winter and never took them out again. Their interests changed and they moved on to other hobbies. It happens. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

thats A big fear of mine actually. This will be the start of my 6th season and I’ve gotten pretty decent on my own. Since starting a family and wanting to spend time with them I’m wondering when/if the golf game starts declining if I’ll be able to accept that. But then again I just shot a 79 without swinging a club once in the last month. So who knows maybe golf is a natural movement for me now 

I know several people who have done this - one played in the US amateur when he was younger. He’s come back to the game with a vengeance.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've quit for months two or three times even though the weather was fine. The first was in college, just had a lot of other things going on at the time and wanted to focus on those. The second was a few years later when I first started work and was struggling with that. Both times I just plain stopped playing. It took months for me to pick up the clubs again and it was more or less just getting in the habit of playing and enjoying the game again. I wonder if that's what happens to the others that just give up. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I quit for 15 years..only to return when the pressures of career and family eased off.  Now I play and or practice 3-4 times a week and find that the game is actually much more fun than it was when I was trying to squeeze in 9 on a Saturday evening. 

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

I "quit" about 2 years ago...  other priorities took over.  But now I'm ready to get back into the swing (pun intended).  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

I think more avid golfers quit golf cold turkey than we assume.There are some hobbies that are extremely demanding. Both physically , mentally , monetarily and time consuming. Unfortunately golf fits all of those categories.Many just can’t continue giving all of their efforts for golf and playing well.

I quit cold turkey...

Now I only eat it hot.. hahahahahahahahahahah. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I believe most people share to the degree that they are either comfortable with sharing or to the same degree they trust the person they are sharing their story with. My point here....... I would be willing to bet there is more to the story than “I just quit”.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

1 hour ago, SteddyGolf said:

I believe most people share to the degree that they are either comfortable with sharing or to the same degree they trust the person they are sharing their story with. My point here....... I would be willing to bet there is more to the story than “I just quit”.

No, said he had a round of golf that afternoon.Called he wouldnt be able to make it.And never came back.That is some perseverance there.A real honest good chap

16 hours ago, Edveed said:

I think more avid golfers quit golf cold turkey than we assume.There are some hobbies that are extremely demanding. Both physically , mentally , monetarily and time consuming. Unfortunately golf fits all of those categories.Many just can’t continue giving all of their efforts for golf and playing well.

I think it happens quite a bit as well 

I quit for 3 years after I left the golf business. It was golf overload and I was absolutely burnt out.

Playing golf for “fun” is now actually fun.

My time spent as a club pro was invaluable to my life but I wonder what life would have been had I listened to those who told me not to go into the golf business.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

I quit for 3 years after I left the golf business. It was golf overload and I was absolutely burnt out.

Playing golf for “fun” is now actually fun.

My time spent as a club pro was invaluable to my life but I wonder what life would have been had I listened to those who told me not to go into the golf business.

It’s life.You live and learn.EVERYONE I’ve talked directly with that was either an asst pro or head pro.All wished they never got in the business.They work people until they can’t take it anymore.Terrible benefits,little pay , long hours, unfriendly clients.The one benefit is free golf. But who wants to play after a 70 hour work week? Basically a slave for the elitist. This is one industry that needs a complete pay restructuring.One can make more money working less at a fast food counter than golf 

I think if you play golf for the golf, you can easily get burned out. Which can make you up and quit the game. I don’t play golf for the golf, I play golf for the fellowship with my friends,  Golf just happens to be the Avenue in which I get to have fun. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

It’s life.You live and learn.EVERYONE I’ve talked directly with that was either an asst pro or head pro.All wished they never got in the business.They work people until they can’t take it anymore.Terrible benefits,little pay , long hours, unfriendly clients.The one benefit is free golf. But who wants to play after a 70 hour work week? Basically a slave for the elitist. This is one industry that needs a complete pay restructuring.One can make more money working less at a fast food counter than golf 

Exactly.

The silver lining for me was the experience in dealing with people. It taught me patience, restraint and elevated my strength in public speaking. It was a grind but the lessons learned were invaluable and ones I’d never learn in any school.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

16 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Exactly.

The silver lining for me was the experience in dealing with people. It taught me patience, restraint and elevated my strength in public speaking. It was a grind but the lessons learned were invaluable and ones I’d never learn in any school.

Total respect for what you learned.And best of wishes outside of golf

we just hired a young man 6 years out of college with a bachelors.He was in the golf business as an assistant pro for 5 years.And has a young family he is raising as well.Also finished all of his pga golf classes and player Ability test.The club he worked at was very high end with a extremely large membership base.The yearly cost was $20k or more per couple or single.His yearly income was a poultry $30k a year.Working 6 days a week 12 hours or more.I played golf with his one of the board members who gave this man an excellent recommendation.During our talks, I asked my friend how can a profitable club pay this man only $30k a year?He said that was the going rate for an assistant .And their head pro made a whopping $50k last year.I asked where all the money goes.Since they don’t seem to paying the help what they are worth.He said whatever is left over all goes in a reserve fund Incase the economy crashes again.We both agreed that with a college background and young family this man made the right choice leaving.The club keeps on raising rates, but fails paying the help what they deserve.This young man has a bright future with us.Glad he came aboard.This golf business is a real head scratcher 

Edited by Big money

Total respect for what you learned.And best of wishes outside of golf
we just hired a young man 6 years out of college with a bachelors.He was in the golf business as an assistant pro for 5 years.And has a young family he is raising as well.Also finished all of his pga golf classes and player Ability test.The club he worked at was very high end with a extremely large membership base.The yearly cost was $20k or more per couple or single.His yearly income was a poultry $30k a year.Working 6 days a week 12 hours or more.I played golf with his one of the board members who gave this man an excellent recommendation.During our talks, I asked my friend how can a profitable club pay this man only $30k a year?He said that was the going rate for an assistant .And their head pro made a whopping $50k last year.I asked where all the money goes.Since they don’t seem to paying the help what they are worth.He said whatever is left over all goes in a reserve fund Incase the economy crashes again.We both agreed that with a college background and young family this man made the right choice leaving.The club keeps on raising rates, but fails paying the help what they deserve.This young man has a bright future with us.Glad he came aboard.This golf business is a real head scratcher 

Thank you. Life for me has been incredible ever since. It took two years of fire and paramedic schooling to obtain a great career for a great Fire Department and I’ve never been happier.

I am glad to hear you found a gentleman with this background. One thing that many who left the business have in common is discipline, organizational skills and above all, a true appreciation for work knowing what true hard work and tough hours really means.

I would call most country clubs unfunded mandates. It’s no guarantee that they’ll retain their membership, unforeseen expenses always seek to eclipse their revenue stream. The dining room always seems to be a net loser in revenue. It really makes you wonder how a collection of some of the Nation’s most financially successful people could belong to an institution that cannot turn a profit. Save the top 50 or 100 clubs that have waiting lists, many struggle to stay afloat. They’ve learned to do so while squeezing every ounce of labor out of staff. Don’t hire five cart barn guys when three will do.

Anthony Bourdain in his final season said this:

“All values
Every important skill
Every good thing about my character
All important lessons in life were learned while working my first basic jobs.”

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

I would love to quit cold turkey so I wouldn't have to keep listening to my wife about spending  money on golf.   Sometimes I think.... Wife or Golf???? 

Just kidding honey. I love u

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

I quit golfing right after High school for about 10 years.  It was a lack of interest, lack of cash to play the game, and all my buddies had also quit.  

Now I’m much older and wiser and realized how much I missed. I didn’t even get to watch most of Tigers terror streak.  Didn’t know who Pat Perez, Rickie Fowler, or Jason Day was when I got back into golf.

I was at a point this year where I was extremely bored with the game, and almost just hung it up again... but I think getting into the Hickory and History side might help next season, that and I’ll be at a new location with new courses, so it won’t be the same old place every time.

On 12/6/2018 at 12:13 PM, Kor.A.Door said:

I think if you play golf for the golf, you can easily get burned out. Which can make you up and quit the game. I don’t play golf for the golf, I play golf for the fellowship with my friends,  Golf just happens to be the Avenue in which I get to have fun. 

...  One of the main reasons I play golf is for the golf no doubt, pushing myself to be the best I can be. Even playing alone I relish competing with myself and the course. That said, If I had to always play alone my interest would wane and I would still play, just less often. The fact that I get to walk beautiful courses with amazing scenery and often equally amazing wildlife is a huge part of it for me.  I will be wintering in Phoenix playing most every day and I will meet and spend 4-5 hours with interesting people from all over the country. I played every day for 6 weeks last spring but 2 and was only paired up with one slightly unpleasant group. 

... Last year one day I played Papago with an 80yr old couple from Minnesota that were just delightful although they couldn't play very well and yet they loved the game. The next time at Papago I was paired up with Desmond Clark, the TE for the Chicago Bears. I am a huge Bears fan and his favorite movie is The Dark Knight so it was really an amazing day on the course and we peppered each other with questions about the Bears and the movie. Very few activities give you a chance to play a sport, get some exercise walking in the great outdoors and meet awesome people. So I love everything about the game and can never imagine quitting.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x