TESTERS WANTED! ×

Set it an go or tinker?

RickyBobby_PR

As a follow up to the visible tech thread I’m curious how many set it and go or spend time tinkering and when/why?

It’s rare I don’t get some sort of fitting for my clubs especially top end of my bag.

Once I get fit I don’t change the adapter settings as any issues I’m seeing are operator related and not the gear.

As much as I like the adjustability technology has brought in clubs imo it’s more for fitters to better dial in a setup and can confuse the avg golfer or even cause them to adjust wrong and if too much adjustability (think R15 driver) make one change that counters another setting on the club.

What say you fellow spies. Are you a set it and go or do you tinker even after a fitting?

Would you prefer if companies kept the adjustability to demo heads and then place you order and build to your specs/setting like ping does with G400 hybrid 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

set it and go- however, at the range I might change the driver settings for an experiment or just for fun.

Hybrid was set at neutral when I bought it and hasnt moved in 9 years!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Generally set it and go, but I might change every now and then if I see a repetitive problem. I may also loft up or down depending on the course conditions. I loft up if it is soft so I get more carry, and I loft down if it is firm so I can get more roll. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

51 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Generally set it and go, but I might change every now and then if I see a repetitive problem. I may also loft up or down depending on the course conditions. I loft up if it is soft so I get more carry, and I loft down if it is firm so I can get more roll. 

I'm with GB13; generally set and go, with the occasional loft adjustment. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If I was fitted for it, then whatever was recommended at the fitting and it stays there.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Set and go for me.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Set and Go.

I've been playing for almost 5 years with a now ancient SLDR. It's been set in the same position since the day I got it dialed in. Like Gregg Allman sang, "Don't mess up a good thing"...

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I agree with the consensus.  Once I find a setting that works, I set it and go.  I will say though that if I have a bad month of driving, I will go to the range and start tinkering until I get back to what works and feels comfortable.  Normally I end up right back where I was before.  Sometimes it just takes a different feel to get back to what was working before.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Set it and go for the most part.  I tinkered a bit more this year due to some swing changes but once I got dialed in the clubs have not moved.  The only change that I may make other than that is to move the heavy weight forward in the driver when the wind is out of the north at my club.  Most tee shots are into the wind and a little less spin seems to work well.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Are you kidding - I’ve been on this site way too long for that.

Have wrench will travel! Heck I keep extra driver shafts in the bag at the range half the time. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm usually set it and go, with a caveat - usually early in the season I'll have it on the D setting, and then as I play more, I'll go back to neutral. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I'm usually set it and go, with a caveat - usually early in the season I'll have it on the D setting, and then as I play more, I'll go back to neutral. 

So you set the shaft to "D", do you also move the sliding weight to a draw setting as well? 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

3 hours ago, revkev said:

Are you kidding - I’ve been on this site way too long for that.

Have wrench will travel! Heck I keep extra driver shafts in the bag at the range half the time. 🙂

That is tinkering to the extreme Rev

So you set the shaft to "D", do you also move the sliding weight to a draw setting as well? 

Sleeve. The F6 weight is only front to back for ballflight so I leave that alone.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

27 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Got it. 

Sleeve. The F6 weight is only front to back for ballflight so I leave that alone.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

The term tinker gives the impression of not knowing what is happening. I use the loft adjustments for what they are designed to do, adjust the loft. I typically use 2 FWs, but sometimes want to add another if the course demands it. I can go from 15 & 20 to 13, 16.5 & 20. But I still only need 3 FWs. Sometimes I want a bit different driver trajectory depending on whether I need max carry or max distance. 

BT

I always fit myself so the clubs are usually fine where they are. I’ve had to do some putter and wedge bending more flat lately, but most of the time, I set it and forget it.
However, if I have a few bad rounds with the driver, I’m tinkering. If I feel like my swing is ok and I’m not seeing the flight I want, I’ll make the adjustments until my swing is back to where it should be and then I’ll reset it.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I usually set it and forget it with a caveat. Each spring I will go to the range and work the kinks out from a winter of really non golf.. At which time i will dial in the Driver or 3W.. Then it will be set until Mid-season when I will have gotten to a point where I am playing and swinging well and then go to the range and double check it.. Usually just a loft adjustment but have had to move weights early and then back later in the season.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I mostly set it and forget it but I will occasionally tinker with weights (lighter/heavier and spin) and loft. I do mostly for feel or a flight I'm looking to see but even then I typically go back to where it was. It's fun to have options but it has surely caused a lack of confidence at times ("maybe another setting would be better...").

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

if if was fit a true fitter, I'll usually set it and go.  One of them a while back gave me a hint to take a picture of it on my phone once he got it set.  For a couple reasons, one when travelling via airplane it's safest to remove the adjustable head and store it in a pocket to prevent it from snapping due to mishandling, then you know the settings when you go to put it back.

And of course if you were to decide to experiment with a different setting or two or three, there's no guessing as to what the original setting was.  

If it's a club I bought without being fit....or the horrors!!! Then I'm more likely to fiddle around with it over the first few range sessions and rounds to see what works best. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I have 2 adjustable drivers period---- After i do extensive experimentation ( since I fit all my stuff myself) I leave them alone. My 915 D-2 has been on the same setting for I guess 3 years now ( A-2). Now that Homna G1-X is another story. The settings on it are very precise and it uses a 2 way special wrench. I took me about 6 months of fiddling with it to finally get it right for me. I also mess with weight a lot and do change around in the process with lead tape. But both of those drivers are set and so I do not carry any wrenches with me period. I think I have had the Homna set for over a year now. I did forget I do have a Nike driver that is adjustable and I have never adjusted it period or really worked with it. I did a trade deal for it just for the shaft that matches my 915.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived