ConnorStephenson

Irons for Amateurs

I am 17 years old and am going to be competing at the collegiate level after high school. I am looking at getting some new irons soon. I swing the club decently fast and hit the ball plenty far enough. Any suggestions??

• Like 1

See a fitter.

If you’re going to be competing in college, get a set that’s the absolute best fit for your body and swing as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

See a fitter.

If you’re going to be competing in college, get a set that’s the absolute best fit for your body and swing as possible.

That's by far the best option. You can use the most wanted testing as a place to start your search and narrow it down from there.

• Like 1

If you already have a college selected, most likely they have a deal with an equipment company on some level, I'm sure there would be an opportunity to be fit by a rep with the company or if your coach has a PGA or fitting background.    Short of those, definitely invest in your future by seeing a professional fitter.   Any clubs even the best players here recommend might or might not be  good fit for you. 

All that said, I know you posted to get some help and specific answers, so Mizuno has a great offering from blades (MP18) to GI (JPX Hot Metal)-- and in between  (MP MMC and JPX Forged)--and they are really big with college players.    Callaway actively works with college players and teams and has a great lineup.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

If you already have a college selected, most likely they have a deal with an equipment company on some level, I'm sure there would be an opportunity to be fit by a rep with the company or if your coach has a PGA or fitting background.    Short of those, definitely invest in your future by seeing a professional fitter.   Any clubs even the best players here recommend might or might not be  good fit for you. 

All that said, I know you posted to get some help and specific answers, so Mizuno has a great offering from blades (MP18) to GI (JPX Hot Metal)-- and in between  (MP MMC and JPX Forged)--and they are really big with college players.    Callaway actively works with college players and teams and has a great lineup.  

This guy covered what I was going to say about college programs and getting fit. 

• Like 4

Unfortunately, that is a question that is almost impossible to answer without more details. “Decently fast”’and “plenty far” don’t provide a lot of insight. Also asking a group of people will result in a lot of answers. As was said go see someone that can fit you. Prior to going prepare your story to explain things like your goals, where you miss, what kind of ball flight you want, and budget.

• Like 4

If you plan on competing in college, you need the best equipment for your game. That said, see a reputable fitter!! The competition at an elite amateur level is razor thin. You need to be fit to have the best opportunity to win. 

• Like 2

Everyone above has your answers. Talk to the college coach. Best place to start

• Like 1

I would think your college coach would be a great resource here, him or the pro at the place your high school team practices.

It’s a big ask for us to help because we don’t know your game much at all. Consider the equipment difference among guys on tour for a moment.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Good luck on your search. Let us know what you decide to go with and how you got to that decision.

Lots a great companies out there making equipment these days. I recommend doing some research for demo days in your area. Demo days are usually conducted on driving ranges so the performance feedback will be a little more usable. I believe you could probably make your way through all the major brands in less than a month. If you earn your way onto a college team there will be greater opportunity for custom fitting. Good luck. Remember...... you have to believe to achieve.

11 minutes ago, ConnorStephenson said:

I recently was fitted with my coach, we went with the PING i210 in 4-PW, in the DG 120 X100 shaft! Thanks for the recommendations

Great set! Let us know how you make out with them. I am a big fan of mine and sadly haven’t had a chance to hit them recently with all this snow!

1 hour ago, ConnorStephenson said:

I recently was fitted with my coach, we went with the PING i210 in 4-PW, in the DG 120 X100 shaft! Thanks for the recommendations

Enjoy the new sticks

If you haven't already, maybe you could start a thread on your journey as a college golfer- I'm sure many of us would enjoy a peak into the life of a student athlete.