Org Change: Reviews Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Edveed

Are you a no thought swinger of the club?

I am completely a no thought player however there is sometimes I step up to a ball and something doesn’t feel right I will have to step back and then address the ball again until I feel comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Depends on what you consider no thought. During the swing I am not thinking about anything. Before the swing there are certain things that I am trying accomplish. 

• Like 2

All of my thinking takes place in a couple of practice swings. Then I go for it with no thought in mind. 

• Like 1

No thoughts here. Just step in and swing. If I think, things go awry. 

• Like 2

Nobody has mentioned the 7-4-7 swing thought system? Try that!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

EDIT: I thought I should provide some detail.

I teach all my students the 7-4-7 system. This is a method I developed that requires the student to memorize and recite 7 swing thoughts from takeaway to transition, 4 swing thoughts during the transition, and 7 final swing thoughts from transition to impact. Hence 7-4-7. (NOTE: In high pressure situations the 7-4-7 system becomes the 11-7-12 system but I don’t want to get too deep in the weeds here).

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Other than visualizing and talking myself through the shot,  I try to avoid swing related things once I am in setup and swing mode.   Most I would think about during that is something like good tempo, make a good swing,  or you can do this.  

• Like 1

With my driver I have to remind myself to keep my hands outside and to turn my back, otherwise I slice the heck out of it. Other than that I don't think about anything.

I am like Mizuno_fan, where I have learned to step away from the ball if I don't feel comfortable. I sometimes struggle to get my feet in the right spot. That's not a swing thought, though.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Nnnnnnnope. I’m the best player in the world at GOLF SWING! I can think about anything, and everything, at ANY given moment during my swing. When it disappears, I shoot even par like I did at Barton Creek. The ol’ noggin’ is my game’s nemesis!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I teach all my students the 7-4-7 system. This is a method I developed that requires the student to memorize and recite 7 swing thoughts from takeaway to transition, 4 swing thoughts during the transition, and 7 final swing thoughts from transition to impact. Hence 7-4-7. (NOTE: In high pressure situations the 7-4-7 system becomes the 11-7-12 system but I don’t want to get too deep in the weeds here).

I’m assuming this isn’t while standing over the ball and during the swing at said ball because that’s way to much info for me to even consider at that time and if I did I would probably make Charles Barkley swing look good.

That also seems like a lot to even think about on a practice range. 

• Like 1

If I am practicing something specific, I absolutely think about it through the whole swing. I'm trying to change what happens when I swing without thinking, or change what that swing should fee like.

At the end of practice, or once I start playing, I usually go on feel. A practice swing to make sure it feels right, then hit it while trying to think as little as possible.

But total swing time is less than 2-3 seconds......... Hmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Are you clubproguy on twitter?

https://twitter.com/ClubProGuy?lang=en

https://clubproguy.com/collections/7-4-7-collection

Personally, I find that I do better if I approach golf as an "empty headed" game.   Throughout the winter months my brain has been instructing my body.   On the course, its time to see if my body has listened.   Off the course, I may get the brain to send a reminder.  For reasons that I cannot explain, on tee shots, I find that I do better if I do not take a practice swing.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Hmm, I've found the 11-7-12 system to not be detailed enough. I always seem to lose my train of thought some where in the 5th though of the transition. That is why I prefer the 17-5-30 system. 

• Like 2