Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Most wanted wedges

tommc23

So the most wanted wedges came out and it makes me wonder if the glide 2.0 are that much better than the 1.0 wedges. The Hogan equalizers kicked the 1.0 out of the bag and I really like the wedges, but not a big fan of the shafts. Now I wonder after seeing how low they were in the ranking, but they did have some of the farthest distances from what I saw.

Lets see what everyone else thinks about the findings.

I really like all PING clubs. No surprise here. They are absolutely a leader in design and technology without rubbing it in your face. I love my PING glides, and they are the best wedges I have every played. Vokeys, MD4, etc, they all pale in comparison to PING. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I don't have any real data to support if the 2.0's are better than the 1.0's, but I do know this; The 2.0's I play with are fantastic. They were one heck of a positive upgrade from my "stock" wedges that came with my iron set. I suppose you could say that about any similar upgrade with any OEM, but being a PING honk from the gate, I'd put these up against anything out there right now. MGS just proved that, so if you're in the market, do indeed try some out. With up-charge Alda graphite shafts and the Dyla-Wedge grips, each of mine were in the $170 range. Not bad really. Oh and they've been super durable too. The finish on them has held up really well. Trust me, I get a lot of use with all of my wedges since it's rare for me to have many GIR's, so they get regular exercise and hardly show much wear at all so far. Great wedges!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

After testing the wedges, I think this is the most subjective to preference compared to any other club that is tested. The reason I say that is because wedges are used differently by different players. Some use them as full swing clubs while others only use them as partial swing clubs and we also open and close the face. When we are asked to hit the 15 and 40 yard shots we do it differently. Some will choke down, some vary length and some open the face.

I think the article sums it up pretty well that full shots resulted in some clubs having a big long/short dispersion which isn’t ideal in a wedge since you want good distance control. As I took the shorter shots club dispersion seemed to tighten up and I think that those that performed best form me is related to the club having a more balance feel allowing me to control the club more consistently.

With so many options, I think i is important to demo wedges by hitting different shots to find the swingweight, grind, and bounce that will work best.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

After testing the wedges, I think this is the most subjective to preference compared to any other club that is tested. The reason I say that is because wedges are used differently by different players. Some use them as full swing clubs while others only use them as partial swing clubs and we also open and close the face. When we are asked to hit the 15 and 40 yard shots we do it differently. Some will choke down, some vary length and some open the face.

I think the article sums it up pretty well that full shots resulted in some clubs having a big long/short dispersion which isn’t ideal in a wedge since you want good distance control. As I took the shorter shots club dispersion seemed to tighten up and I think that those that performed best form me is related to the club having a more balance feel allowing me to control the club more consistently.

With so many options, I think i is important to demo wedges by hitting different shots to find the swingweight, grind, and bounce that will work best.

Can you recall which one liked the best from a personal perspective.

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Can you recall which one liked the best from a personal perspective.

It is really hard to say;  when I am doing the testing,  I try to  ignore what club I am hitting so they do have a tendency to blur together over the sessions unless I stop and really evaluate the clubs.   The ones that seemed to standout for me would be the  CBX and the Fourteen wedge.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I always felt that the Pings launched really high off the face. I really struggled to flight them down. The launch angle was always 8 or 9 degrees higher than many of the other wedges.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Archived