Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Next major innovation in technology?

ga_pike

Drivers specifically...  We've seen wood to metal, size increases to 350, 400, 460cc, movable weight technology, head shape from round to square back to "round", interchangeable and adjustable shafts/angles...  there really isn't much more you can do to maximize performance of the current driver heads.  Someone is going to have to find another "major" breakthrough to see any significant impact. 

I know for me, the biggest recent change has been the shaft itself.  But now that I've got a dialed in shaft, I can use pretty much any driver head with the same specs and my shots are basically the same.  Obviously, some current heads perform slightly different than others, but for the most part, we aren't seeing a significant different in performance when the specs are the same.  

So, with that in mind...  what is the next big technology that will be introduced to driver heads?  Gyroscopic internals that help increase accuracy and driver head speed?  

If you think about irons, what real technology change have we seen since the invention of the cavity back iron?  None.  They've tweaked the lofts and improved the perimeter weighting for more forgiveness, but if you take a cavity back from the 80's and put it up against a modern club with the same specs and shaft, the results will be basically the same.  I'd argue that the forged muscle backs are exactly the same.  You could possibly make an argument for the hollow muscle backs (like Ping), but those sorta fall into the cavity back area.  

Thoughts?

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

The improvements to come will be thru the use of new materials and technology. Most if not all companies work with the aerospace community so I see more things coming related to aerodynamics and launch characteristics based on the experience of the aerospace industry, plus I know of several oem guys that have that background before getting into golf.

the ability to maintain speed and performance on the face for contact away from the center is where a lot of the designs are focusing. Making it easier and better for the golfer

year to year and maybe even 2-3 years there won’t be much improvement in performance but start going 4-5+ years and that’s where most will see the benefit.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, ga_pike said:

But now that I've got a dialed in shaft, I can use pretty much any driver head with the same specs and my shots are basically the same. 

Interesting. I think a discussion along these lines was traveling the forum recently. Meaning.... can't (in most cases) use same shaft in different heads. I can't think of any heads playing the same just by swapping the shaft. For example -  Ping G400 into a Callaway Epic or a Callaway Rogue into a Cobra F8.  Heck I'm no shaft or fitting expert that's for sure. Perhaps you've found a magic shaft?  I want one! 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

18 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Interesting. I think a discussion along these lines was traveling the forum recently. Meaning.... can't (in most cases) use same shaft in different heads. I can't think of any heads playing the same just by swapping the shaft. For example -  Ping G400 into a Callaway Epic or a Callaway Rogue into a Cobra F8.  Heck I'm no shaft or fitting expert that's for sure. Perhaps you've found a magic shaft?  I want one! 

I’ve had success with swapping shafts from one brand to another. The issue migh come in if ones going from a heavier head to a lighter one or vice versa. If using a counterbalance shaft that probably wouldn’t be much of an issue though.

Matt from TXG videos plays the same shaft in several heads on their videos with not much noticeable difference 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

That would be my perception as well. All heads have different launch and spin characteristics. And all shafts have different launch and spin characteristics. The best way I can explain this is through and example:

Let's say you play a Cobra F8 (higher spin, higher launch head) with a low launch-low spin shaft and you get perfect numbers from this combination. If I then were to go to a Cobra F8+ (lower spin, lower launch head) with the same low-low shaft, the spin and launch would be a little too low. I would need to put a slightly higher launch and higher spin shaft into the F8+ to get the same optimized numbers.

Therefore one specific shaft doesn't work in all heads. You need to fit yourself into each head you use. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

8 minutes ago, GB13 said:

That would be my perception as well. All heads have different launch and spin characteristics. And all shafts have different launch and spin characteristics. The best way I can explain this is through and example:

Let's say you play a Cobra F8 (higher spin, higher launch head) with a low launch-low spin shaft and you get perfect numbers from this combination. If I then were to go to a Cobra F8+ (lower spin, lower launch head) with the same low-low shaft, the spin and launch would be a little too low. I would need to put a slightly higher launch and higher spin shaft into the F8+ to get the same optimized numbers.

Therefore one specific shaft doesn't work in all heads. You need to fit yourself into each head you use. 

Many shafts have similar bend profiles and the way shafts are designed today to pair with heads it’s a lot easier to move between heads from different companies. Theres some differences between brands as far as flex and other build characteristics but for the most part similar profiles of spin and launch are going to be close and comes down more to feel imo

one thing I’ve noticed and have seen in videos is the spin and launch characteristics between different shaft profiles is only a couple hundred rpm and 1-3* which isn’t really that big. Shafts aren’t going to knock a thousand rpm off 

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Many shafts have similar bend profiles and the way shafts are designed today to pair with heads it’s a lot easier to move between heads from different companies. Theres some differences between brands as far as flex and other build characteristics but for the most part similar profiles of spin and launch are going to be close and comes down more to feel imo

one thing I’ve noticed and have seen in videos is the spin and launch characteristics between different shaft profiles is only a couple hundred rpm and 1-3* which isn’t really that big. Shafts aren’t going to knock a thousand rpm off 

I agree, but the difference between heads is the main thing I am isolating here. The new head may spin 300rpm less and launch 2°  lower, so you might need a different shaft to get the spin from 1800 to 2100 and the launch back up from 11° to 13°. A totally different bend profile may be needed. There may be 10 shafts that fit the new bend profile, and at that point, it is personal preference. 

At this point there probably isn't any need to change heads but I am just saying that there is no magic shaft for each person. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

4 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I agree, but the difference between heads is the main thing I am isolating here. The new head may spin 300rpm less and launch 2°  lower, so you might need a different shaft to get the spin from 1800 to 2100 and the launch back up from 11° to 13°. A totally different bend profile may be needed. There may be 10 shafts that fit the new bend profile, and at that point, it is personal preference. 

At this point there probably isn't any need to change heads but I am just saying that there is no magic shaft for each person. 

300 rpm is nothing and you could have that variation on strikes with the same head based on contact point.

i disagree that there’s no magic shaft for each person. I’ve been fit to Aldila rogue silver in 3 different drivers, Aldila rogue max in 2 and ust helium in 2.  I’ve seen similar performance with hzrdus yellow in several heads. I also know a couple others that have been fit in same shaft in the m1 and 917 d3.

is it the case for everyone? No but it is possible 

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The improvements to come will be thru the use of new materials and technology. Most if not all companies work with the aerospace community so I see more things coming related to aerodynamics and launch characteristics based on the experience of the aerospace industry, plus I know of several oem guys that have that background before getting into golf.

the ability to maintain speed and performance on the face for contact away from the center is where a lot of the designs are focusing. Making it easier and better for the golfer

year to year and maybe even 2-3 years there won’t be much improvement in performance but start going 4-5+ years and that’s where most will see the benefit.

I second this. Advancements in materials is where we'll likely see the most improvement from here on out IMO. It wouldn't be hard to imagine that OEMs are already experimenting with exotic materials and just waiting for manufacturing equipment and processes to improve to a point where prices drop. It's no different than what we've seen with carbon fiber really. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I think the MOI battle will begin between manufacturers. I'm surprised at how no one is really that close to maxing that out.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I'll go another route on this...My take is that the next leap in golf tech will be centered around the golf ball. I can see us all using "smart golf ball tech" within the next 5-10 years. Think of it. A ball with GPS and a tiny transmitter that you can track from tee to cup on a phone, watch or other device. No more range finders, fewer lost balls and a Millennial's wet dream come true...😜

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

• SPY VIP
13 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

I'll go another route on this...My take is that the next leap in golf tech will be centered around the golf ball. I can see us all using "smart golf ball tech" within the next 5-10 years. Think of it. A ball with GPS and a tiny transmitter that you can track from tee to cup on a phone, watch or other device. No more range finders, fewer lost balls and a Millennial's wet dream come true...😜

We actually have had that for a bit. Cool concept paired with a crappy ball unfortunately. Still won't keep it out of the lake either.

https://mygolfspy.com/prazza-golf-ball-finder-review/

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

52 minutes ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

We actually have had that for a bit. Cool concept paired with a crappy ball unfortunately. Still won't keep it out of the lake either.

https://mygolfspy.com/prazza-golf-ball-finder-review/

Indeed. I'd expect "better, stronger, faster" in the next several years. Tech just rolls like that. If only thay could jam the electronics into a Snell MTB Black...🤔

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Before adjustable heads came along, shafts fitting was more difficult. However, I now find that simple loft/weight adjustments allow me to use the same shafts in just about any head I like. These adjustments can easily compensate for any difference in head characteristics in almost every case.

I also find that shafts with very similar profiles, weight and torque play virtually the same. For every high-end exotic shafts out there I can usually find one that performs right there with it for a fraction of the price.

Anyone else encounter this?

Lastly, I agree that head MOI is the only area where much progress remains.

BT

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 12/8/2018 at 10:06 AM, RI_Redneck said:

Before adjustable heads came along, shafts fitting was more difficult. However, I now find that simple loft/weight adjustments allow me to use the same shafts in just about any head I like. These adjustments can easily compensate for any difference in head characteristics in almost every case.

I also find that shafts with very similar profiles, weight and torque play virtually the same. For every high-end exotic shafts out there I can usually find one that performs right there with it for a fraction of the price.

Anyone else encounter this?

Lastly, I agree that head MOI is the only area where much progress remains.

BT

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Tell me what inexpensive shaft matches the DI-6 and I'll be your friend for life.  LOL.  

I know what matches on the MPF...  just curious if they really do match or not.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

Archived