GolfSpy Barbajo

A Visit To Ben Hogan Headquarters

On 3/18/2019 at 6:14 PM, romeopapazulu said:

Well@Golfspy Barbajo, did you get to fondle these putters? What were your thoughts?
Sounds like these won't be in the demo program for the near future.
I was really hoping for some face tech in these. It's hard to tell, but it looks like a constant mill across the face.

Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I did see the new putters while I was there, but honored their embargo. They really looked nice - didn't get to roll them at all, but I'm sure they'll sell a few. Saw some other interesting stuff as well, but you'll just have to wait....😎

• Like 5

Well 6 days till the next release.

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 7.11.13 AM.png

Looks to me to be the face of a club.  Pretty standard grooves.  Another iron?

The bad news is that @GolfSpy Barbajo has been exposed.  I guess we cant keep a secret.

2015571747_ScreenShot2019-04-02at7_06_43AM.png.fcc6eef2bf9e4f7063d02821ff2437d1.png

Now they have peaked my interest. New irons perhaps? Interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Now they have peaked my interest. New irons perhaps? Interesting.

A “players” CB?

But I’m guessing they are going in the SGI category?

What other type of iron could it be?

Ft Worth “players”
PTX “GI/Players”
Edge “GI”

Has to be the super game improvement category right? Couldn’t be another sweet looking blade?

Maybe the addition of more lofts?

I like their “release cycle”.... whenever we feel like it.
  • Like 2

A “players” CB?

But I’m guessing they are going in the SGI category?

What other type of iron could it be?

Ft Worth “players”
PTX “GI/Players”
Edge “GI”

Has to be the super game improvement category right? Couldn’t be another sweet looking blade?

Maybe the addition of more lofts?

I like their “release cycle”.... whenever we feel like it.

Yeah, I’m not sure. Though I’ve never seen the Edge irons in hand so I’m not sure how they compare to the Ft. Worth’s or the PTX. I thought the Edge was an SGI iron, but again, never seen them in person.

I’m wondering if it is a “Players Distance” set. They just released an 18* Hi iron so maybe they are going to do a full set of hollow (or foam filled) forged face distance irons.

• Like 3

I'll cross my fingers for fairway woods and a driver. I had a pair of Ben Hogan C455woods (3 and 5) that I used from like '03 to at least '10, so they were produced before the sale to Callaway. Those were great performing clubs that it took a long time for me to actually want to replace. Something similar would be awesome!

530267994_HoganC455.JPG.327f0556da4c4b52fae2170254564c65.JPG

Some very interesting guesses. I am excited for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yeah, I’m not sure. Though I’ve never seen the Edge irons in hand so I’m not sure how they compare to the Ft. Worth’s or the PTX. I thought the Edge was an SGI iron, but again, never seen them in person.

I’m wondering if it is a “Players Distance” set. They just released an 18* Hi iron so maybe they are going to do a full set of hollow (or foam filled) forged face distance irons.

Could be on to something.

Maybe we are all wrong and it’s a TK wedge in black... too bad that’ll never happen.
  • Like 1

I think I can see seven grooves in the picture and they run parallel to the top of the clubface.  Do today's drivers have that many tightly spaced grooves?  Isn't there usually a good sized smooth area?  The top line of an iron is usually not parallel with the grooves.  But photoshop could be deceiving me here.  Or is it the bottom????

I reread the blog article about the 1999 Apex irons.  I suppose most of the people involved with those irons are no longer with the new reincarnation of the company, but the true Hogan die hards involved back then were very against releasing a cavity back or GI type club as the first release under Spalding.  

If I were a betting man I would put money on a players distance iron before an SGI iron.  Not sure how a bulky iron fits in with the whole "only something Mr. Hogan would sign off himself" mantra.

I’m thinking hybrid. Only a few days to find out...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

A couple of months ago, I demoed and ultimately purchased a set of the PTX irons.  Honestly, I've always been a fan of the Hogan clubs I've seen in the past and am glad I went ahead.  They are about as nice feeling as any club I've hit with just the right everything for me - size, shape, offset, topline.  They inspire confidence and they feel great.  And given the price point, it's really a club that is an all around tough to beat model.

2 hours ago, Lombo said:

A couple of months ago, I demoed and ultimately purchased a set of the PTX irons.  Honestly, I've always been a fan of the Hogan clubs I've seen in the past and am glad I went ahead.  They are about as nice feeling as any club I've hit with just the right everything for me - size, shape, offset, topline.  They inspire confidence and they feel great.  And given the price point, it's really a club that is an all around tough to beat model.

For the PTX what were you comparing them against? 

Compared them to the TaylorMade p790's and Titleist AP3's.  Hogan's felt nicer than both with performance similar to all of them. 

2 hours ago, Lombo said:

Compared them to the TaylorMade p790's and Titleist AP3's.  Hogan's felt nicer than both with performance similar to all of them. 

That says a lot as the p790 are some of the best selling irons around right now.