Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What's your view on tape on the face of demo clubs?

perseveringgolfer

The reason I ask comes from two 'demo' sessions I had, one at a major golf retailer and one at a world class golf resort.

The retailer didnt have any demo clubs of a driver I was interested in so he taped up the face then watched me hit using trackman. The sound was affected, the spin was majorly affected so no trackman numbers could be relied on. He apologized for taping but as they werent sent any demo clubs its all he could do. I understood and thanked him anyway saying I'd need to try elsewhere without tape. Pleasant exchange and I still buy from there, frequently.

The world class resort had some Odyssey and Scotty putters I was keen to demo with a view to purchase. The assistant said I can try them on the putting green but taped up the whole head in case of any marks. It was the height of summer and I was using new balls. I politely declined to try as there would be no feel and the 'tech' on the faces wouldn't work if covered in tape. He looked surprised but shrugged his shoulders and walked away. I then went out to the range to practice before my round. 5 minutes later the head pro came storming up to me and without any pleasantries his first words were "what's the problem?" I said "sorry, I'm not sure what you mean", he retorted with "you told my assistant you wanted to test putters without taping up the head, these are very expensive and become used if tested". I explained my thoughts exactly as I said to the assistant and all he said was "we dont do that" then turned round and walked back to the pro shop.

To say I felt scolded and uneasy is an understatement and I've never bought anything there again.

Have you tried demo clubs with tape and still bought?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I think reasonable people can understand why a shop would insist on tape on a non-demo club.

I also think reasonable people can understand why even a semi-serious golfer wouldn't find that a satisfying way to test a club.

Apparently, not all people are reasonable.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I would do the same in that situation. Hitting clubs with tape on them is pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Another lefty whine:: Think finding lefty clubs is difficult in big box stores? Try finding lefty demo clubs - impossible! 

To avoid the tape issue I have to wait for demo day at our club. Fortunately they now have a 1/2 doz vendors with demo clubs (no tape) at our 1 day events. . 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

5 minutes later the head pro came storming up to me and without any pleasantries his first words were "what's the problem?

Good thing I wasn't there as I'd have told him, "what's the problem". Stupid pro. Pro jerk-wad that is. I've walked into our pro shop many times and seen the assistants killing time putting around with various rack putters. You think they mark them as "Used" afterwards?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Retailers near me only tape the display models if you want to hit them. The past two seasons they've actually gotten proper fitting carts so you can play with the lie angle and shafts. Their demo clubs show some use so they won't bother taping them up. They also have about 800 putters around their putting green so I think they assume no one will be hit enough to show significant wear before it is bought.

Personally haven't bought anything I wasn't able to hit tape less. Try it out with tape on maybe, but I want to see how it performs before I fork over my hard earned money

Sent from my CLT-L04 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I understand the reasoning behind taping full swing clubs.  Not an ideal situation nor something i would do if I was trying to get launch numbers on a club.   I have never seen anyone tape up a putter and on the occasions I have seen the plastic still on the putter,  the store will generally remove if asked so you can try a particular model.  I don't get extremely concerned if there is an unwrapped putter in the wrong length and won't ask to get one in my preferred length.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I thought 2 things while reading this.

1. The Assistant is a whiny baby that got upset over losing a possible sale and cried to the Head Pro.

2.  The Head Pro is a DB.  There was no reason for him to come out and say something to you while you were warming up other than he wanted to show off his "authority".

I don't blame you for never buying there again.

As far as demoing with tape or plastic on a club,  it is not something I would ever do.  I would think that every performance factor of the driver head would be effected.  The only meaningful thing that could come from that situation would be how the club feels when you swing it.  Otherwise it sounds like a waste of time to me.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I would never test a club with tape on it. Hit takes away from the actual sound and feel as well as the true spin and launch.

the store does it to protect their retail product so if the oem didn’t send them demo gear then the oem is telling me they don’t want me to get fit and but their product 

curious what club you were testing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Shopping at a big box store up here in Canada (Golftown), they won't let people hit clubs without taping them ( my experience with them and what I've seen)  but they don't do that for the putters.  They must have had some bad experiences that resulted in some expensive putters not being sold due to scuff marks.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

I've seen stores tape the sole of a putter to help minimize the scuffing, but never the face.

I don't mind a taped face if I'm just swinging a club to gauge the feel (balance, flex, weight, etc) and don't think I've ever been on a LM with tape on the face.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I understand the need to tape full swing clubs. Although, if there isn't a demo available, a big box has enough inventory to designate one club "demo". 

Putters though? I have NEVER seen that. They normally come in plastic and some people try with plastic on, and if you want to, all retailers I have been to, have no problem if you take the plastic off. I also haven't seen any putters with scuffs on them because they took the plastic off. Most retailers I go to have the more expensive putters on an upper shelf so little kids can't destroy them but that's about it. 

From this I draw 2 conclusions. 

1. The retailer acted normally and politely. 

2. The pro and assistant were a$$holes.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I have bought several, unfortunately that was before I really knew any better. Clubs as expected performed way different afterwards.
Thankfully most here don't do that anymore and have proper fitting carts. I've never seen a place tape up a putter. Most have them all on display for all to use.
Even though some have them locked up if you ask they will gladly take them out for you to give a roll.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

We always tape the soles of putter if people want to use them outside, but not the face. When people try out discontinued, new clubs, I always let them know what they will see (higher launch, less spin, etc.) with the tape on the face.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

A PGA Professional doesn’t get a lot of customer service training. Most of the training is technical in regards to training, operations, turf and so on. It is not uncommon to come upon someone who lacks tact.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I feel like you’re leaving out part of the story.

I’d never let a golfer use a brand new premium putter without protecting the club. He doesn’t know you and your game and with the internet discounts available there are too many tire kickers who want to try and demo then buy elsewhere.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

A PGA Professional doesn’t get a lot of customer service training. Most of the training is technical in regards to training, operations, turf and so on. It is not uncommon to come upon someone who lacks tact.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

To an extent, absolutely. To make it at any decent club and to pass an interview, the people skills are sometimes more of an asset than your technical abilities.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Another lefty whine:: Think finding lefty clubs is difficult in big box stores? Try finding lefty demo clubs - impossible! 
To avoid the tape issue I have to wait for demo day at our club. Fortunately they now have a 1/2 doz vendors with demo clubs (no tape) at our 1 day events. . 

Lucky enough where we live has quite a few Demo Days. Only problem is too many Lefties also waiting to try.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

The reason I ask comes from two 'demo' sessions I had, one at a major golf retailer and one at a world class golf resort.
The retailer didnt have any demo clubs of a driver I was interested in so he taped up the face then watched me hit using trackman. The sound was affected, the spin was majorly affected so no trackman numbers could be relied on. He apologized for taping but as they werent sent any demo clubs its all he could do. I understood and thanked him anyway saying I'd need to try elsewhere without tape. Pleasant exchange and I still buy from there, frequently.
The world class resort had some Odyssey and Scotty putters I was keen to demo with a view to purchase. The assistant said I can try them on the putting green but taped up the whole head in case of any marks. It was the height of summer and I was using new balls. I politely declined to try as there would be no feel and the 'tech' on the faces wouldn't work if covered in tape. He looked surprised but shrugged his shoulders and walked away. I then went out to the range to practice before my round. 5 minutes later the head pro came storming up to me and without any pleasantries his first words were "what's the problem?" I said "sorry, I'm not sure what you mean", he retorted with "you told my assistant you wanted to test putters without taping up the head, these are very expensive and become used if tested". I explained my thoughts exactly as I said to the assistant and all he said was "we dont do that" then turned round and walked back to the pro shop.
To say I felt scolded and uneasy is an understatement and I've never bought anything there again.
Have you tried demo clubs with tape and still bought?

Tape on bottom of high end putters for outside roll is understandable.
Asst & Head Pro attitude stupid. At my age I don’t take fools very well and my answers, if he pushed the issue would not have been cordial.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Archived