TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson D7 Irons

revkev

These just hit my must try list.  I have fully bought into the MGS mantra of using the most forgiveness that my eye can stand in an iron.  I'm content enough with my G30's but don't particularly like the way the 9 iron and W look - I could be tempted by something with a better look there beyond a doubt! 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

These just hit my must try list.  I have fully bought into the MGS mantra of using the most forgiveness that my eye can stand in an iron.  I'm content enough with my G30's but don't particularly like the way the 9 iron and W look - I could be tempted by something with a better look there beyond a doubt! 

I bet CG2 gets to them B4 U

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

25 minutes ago, revkev said:

10 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I bet CG2 gets to them B4 Uemoji16.pngemoji33.png

Dunno - good chance Foz and the Rev will get to see them this coming weekend....😎

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Surely there will be a test opportunity....

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

I noticed the D7 loft profile is 2 degrees stronger than my 'mid-launch' profile Hogan PTx set. The low CG of the sole design will probably make up for the lower loft with higher launch and spin. 

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

As someone who plays Cavity Back irons and really detests looking at most SGI clubs. I could and absolutely would play these. I don't know that these would give me the best numbers, but by looks, I would certainly play them. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I'm going to miss the red/black badging that was consistent across all of their D lines (even going back to the Di11s, my first W/S set) but I do like the looks of these. The price is fantastic.

As I mentioned in my article comment, price and looks is great, but if consumers can't find them in a store to try out...

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Dunno - good chance Foz and the Rev will get to see them this coming weekend....

I’ll never underestimate Rob

Rick

Left Hand, 

Just finished reading MGS writeup about these irons, interesting. Could be included in my “try list”.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm going to miss the red/black badging that was consistent across all of their D lines (even going back to the Di11s, my first W/S set) but I do like the looks of these. The price is fantastic.
As I mentioned in my article comment, price and looks is great, but if consumers can't find them in a store to try out...

I agree. It seemed like the D line was red, the C line silver and black and then the F line had some gold touches. I do really like the little bit of blue though. It worked for Ping with the G30 line right?

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Love the new stuff, but I'm really holding out for the new blades or the V7s...

Remember, the D300s and V6s were launched on 1/9/17 so something new in the V line should be popping up soon! 

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

22 minutes ago, Waazzupppp said:

Love the new stuff, but I'm really holding out for the new blades or the V7s...

Remember, the D300s and V6s were launched on 1/9/17 so something new in the V line should be popping up soon! 

Not so sure about a new V6. The old clock on the wall says it's time but there's nothing out of Wilson suggesting anything is imminent - they usually give us an idea when releases will be announced. We knew the D7 irons date two months ago, and we already know when the woods will be announced, but there's nothing on an update for the V6. They did refresh it a bit last year with the Raw version, and they haven't dropped the price any, which is always a sure indicator of a replacement in the pipeline.

Pergande said the D series is by far their biggest seller, so much so that even if they have an edition that is, by their standards, a bad seller, it'll still sell more sets than anything in the FG Tour family, simply because of demographics.

All that said, there is an update on those sexy blades  Gary Woodland is bagging. Pergande says they're still prototypes and testing with Woodland and Brendan Steele is still ongoing...and if it all goes well, Pergande says Wilson "will find a a way to commercialize them" at some point in the first half of 2019. No guarantees, but that's what they're thinking...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

And not for nothing on the D7's - they do launch high and go very far - pretty easy to hit. Hard to determine feel, since it was about 15 degrees and I was hitting half-frozen range balls. Also, the KBS Tour 80 isn't quite right for me, even at my advancing age, but the sticks are going to Florida next week so we'll see what we will see. The set makeup is 5 through gap, with the 5 coming in at 22* and the Gap at 48*. Will most likely pack the 52-56-60 wedge set, a 19* hybrid plus driver and FW. Have some golf scheduled with RevKev and Foz - we'll post pictures!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

8 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

And not for nothing on the D7's - they do launch high and go very far - pretty easy to hit. Hard to determine feel, since it was about 15 degrees and I was hitting half-frozen range balls. Also, the KBS Tour 80 isn't quite right for me, even at my advancing age, but the sticks are going to Florida next week so we'll see what we will see. The set makeup is 5 through gap, with the 5 coming in at 22* and the Gap at 48*. Will most likely pack the 52-56-60 wedge set, a 19* hybrid plus driver and FW. Have some golf scheduled with RevKev and Foz - we'll post pictures!

Why yes, this is indeed very relevant to my interests!!! Looking forward to seeing those pics and hearing some early reports.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Dunno - good chance Foz and the Rev will get to see them this coming weekend....

Perhaps they will be in someone’s bag?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Current Saturday forecast is sunny and 72.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Glad you guys are getting a nice weekend--- The last 2 for us has been rainy with last weekend nasty nasty--- They are calling for more rain for us this weekend and we are already soaked

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I definitely want to hit a few balls with these....they seem right up my alley

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson