TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dave's Impossible Project: Same Gear For A Year

GolfSpy Dave

I did the reverse of what you are trying this past three months or so.  I took six 15-year old clubs and created a Sunday bag, and played with those, and those alone during the week.  I found it interesting that I played much better with just the six old clubs then I did with the 14 new ones.

The only way I buy anything new now is if I break 70.  Otherwise, I'm not buying any new clubs again.

I'm also not playing any course over 6,500 yards, as I just don't have the game for that, but I digress.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

You can do it Dave!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm on a similar journey as you. I switched out my entire bag again this year (except for wedges, I'll fight you for my wedges!) and am going to try to keep the family, one happy unit for a year and see how my scores end up.

My goal, break par again, and shoot in the 60's. 

Good luck! I'll be following along!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the positive feedback. I do welcome any of you to join me in the one set in 2019 crusade. Think of all the gear money that you can save and use for fancy booze instead. I'd have a case of Pappy Family Reserve ready to go based on 2018 🤣

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

Thanks for the positive feedback. I do welcome any of you to join me in the one set in 2019 crusade. Think of all the gear money that you can save and use for fancy booze instead. I'd have a case of Pappy Family Reserve ready to go based on 2018 🤣

You get a case of pappy and I’m coming to visit lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Looking forward to the experiment and the whole process!
Good luck and thanks for sharing. You have me thinking it would be a good thing to try. Hard to truly dedicate to it though!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Can you somehow get [mention=65448]Golfspy_CG2[/mention] to join you?
Wrong thread... Pretty sure that goes into the best joke thread.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I think he's well past that.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

37 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Can you somehow get @Golfspy_CG2 to join you?

It's too late for him! Save yourself!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Dave I am with you. I played 9 different sets of irons last year, five different drivers, four fairways, seven different hybrids, five sets of wedges and too many putters to count. Did absolutely nothing for my game at all for better or for worse. I went to a friend of mine that is a club fitter and we went through the entire bag top to bottom to see if I had any issues. Driver was simply a setting change, nothing to the three wood and ditto on the hybrid. The wedges were perfect and I just ended up getting a fresh set of what I was playing. That leaves the irons and the putter. What we found was I was working too hard to swing X100s and we went lighter which made a huge difference. I could flight the ball a lot better and could hit touch shots again. I wanted something with some forgiveness and we settled on Rogue Pros with XP105s. The putter was a different story and there was only one putter that just seemed to work for me. I rolled the ball so well with the Edel E1 that I had to find one. There is something about the round grip that relaxes my hands and the stroke just improves from there. It was head and shoulders above what I had been using.

So I am with you on this challenge as I don’t intend to change anything this year outside of possibly my hybrid. If the new Apex hybrid is that much better than what I have then it will go in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

• SPY VIP

That really sounds like a solid plan. If the Callaway fitting doesn’t hold all of the answers, I’m going to work through the bag the same way.

Thanks for the details

Volvo Intorqueo

Dave, I wish you the best on this endeavor. I'm locked in my set with the exception of the driver. New drivers are just too fun to not try. As much as I like the g400 max, the F9, G410, M6, and the new Wilson all need testing.

I totally agree that just knowing your clubs is a huge deal. Then again, that guy at q school that had his clubs stolen spot a 63 with a random selection set.

I'll be here for your journey to analyze and judge all your personal decisions from a far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

6 hours ago, Danbrook said:
6 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Wrong thread... Pretty sure that goes into the best joke thread.

Or maybe the Christmas Miracle thread!

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Good luck with the journey Dave. Have you done a fitting with the Mizuno Optimiser? For me it absolutely pointed me in the right direction. 

I'm currently going through my most significant equipment change since I bought my first set. Irons and wedges are sorted, driver chosen, just need to sort out fairways and hybrid. The putter will be in my bag indefinitely unless something unexpected happens to it.

One of the few good things about turning 50 is being a bit self indulgent😀

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Best of luck Dave. Now, if it was @Golfspy_CG2 doing this, we'd all laugh and laugh and carry on because we KNOW, without a doubt, that it would work.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

That really sounds like a solid plan. If the Callaway fitting doesn’t hold all of the answers, I’m going to work through the bag the same way.

Thanks for the details

It was really an eye opening experience to try and get the most out of what I had already been fit for, never tried it before. The only issue I went in with was my irons which we worked out. Good luck to you in your quest. I am staying strong with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

• SPY VIP
10 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

Good luck with the journey Dave. Have you done a fitting with the Mizuno Optimiser? For me it absolutely pointed me in the right direction. 

I'm currently going through my most significant equipment change since I bought my first set. Irons and wedges are sorted, driver chosen, just need to sort out fairways and hybrid. The putter will be in my bag indefinitely unless something unexpected happens to it.

One of the few good things about turning 50 is being a bit self indulgent😀

It has been about two years since I've done the Optimizer. That's how I ended up with Nippon 1150 GS Tour shafts in the 850 Forged. Another set I probably should have stuck with, and the reason that I took a somewhat blind shot at the Srixon 756 with the Modus 120 shafts. That shaft really seems to have the right weight and flex profile for my swing. I can easily keep track of the club position, whereas the Recoil 780s in my prior set of Apex irons cause the club to seem borderline etherial. 👻

Volvo Intorqueo

On 12/11/2018 at 1:04 PM, GolfSpy Dave said:

schadenfreude

LOL.... great read Dave. I'll try and keep an eye your exploits.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Love this one Dave, now where's the section for prop bets or over/under and pick a date?

I know you don't really have much of an "off season" but I find it's both helpful and hurtful for my club ho'ing tendencies.  Once the season starts here and I finally get to play my bag doesn't usually change much at all.  It's in the off season that I start lusting over shiny things and usually end up with a pile of stuff to try out once the courses open.  Maybe it's that our season is so short that I don't have time to be experimenting with different things, but I've found playing regularly makes me not want as many shiny new things.

Also for the first time I can remember I'm a month in to my winter blues and I don't have any equipment wants at the moment.  That said there are a lot of shiny news things coming in the next 2 months that could change my mind.  I've also got a stock pile of clubs to sell or trade in that could potentially replenish the golf equipment slush fund... aka PayPal.

Here is my only advice/tweak I'd suggest and you kind of have it built in already.  Commit to playing the same sticks, but break up the year into trimesters.  Commit for the first trimester.  Reassess, tweak if needed and recommit for the 2nd trimester.  Rinse and repeat.

Also when you evaluate the club try looking at it this way.  Can you hit it well to the best of your personal ability 80% of the time?  If the answer is no it probably doesn't deserve to be in the bag.  Does the club save you strokes or cost you strokes overall?  If it's overall costing you strokes then it gots to go.

Can't wait to see how this plays out, I'll be following along!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm the opposite. Just traded out my driver after 4 years of service. Otherwise it's been the same stuff in the bag for the last two years and the only change was adding a a 3W. I've always been interested in the opposite end of the spectrum... what would it take for a club ho to keep everything in the bag. Good luck and I'm curious to see how this ends up... whether you go back afterwards to swapping out clubs or if you keep the current set well beyond the year.

Good luck on breaking 80!

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• SPY VIP
15 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

Here is my only advice/tweak I'd suggest and you kind of have it built in already.  Commit to playing the same sticks, but break up the year into trimesters.  Commit for the first trimester.  Reassess, tweak if needed and recommit for the 2nd trimester.  Rinse and repeat.

Also when you evaluate the club try looking at it this way.  Can you hit it well to the best of your personal ability 80% of the time?  If the answer is no it probably doesn't deserve to be in the bag.  Does the club save you strokes or cost you strokes overall?  If it's overall costing you strokes then it gots to go.

Can't wait to see how this plays out, I'll be following along!

Maybe I should do it based upon the majors... 🙂

Like the 80% idea a bunch. That gives me something a bit more concrete to approach the assessment.

Volvo Intorqueo

Great challenge Dave! I know you can do what you put your mind to.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP
14 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Great challenge Dave! I know you can do what you put your mind to.

Thanks Foz. I think that it was the Cobra Connect Challenge stuff that got me thinking about this as well. Maybe I need to add a set of sensors to whatever I end up playing for the year.

Volvo Intorqueo

Chasing the Amy of equipment is fun but can distract you from the real culprit for lost strokes over rounds played. I recommend keeping your statistics and instead of assuming something shiny will make the difference focus on improving the techniques that will help you to more consistently execute the shot.

Moving into the 70s means you absolutely need to remove the big numbers from your card. You get only 7 total strokes lost per round. A double or even triple bogey quickly diminishes your ability to reach the number you desire. Your goal is 13 pars and nothing above a bogey.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Dave

I know the issue you are having and why you are constantly changing clubs.

IMG_20181207_224550_767.jpg

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

• SPY VIP
Dave
I know the issue you are having and why you are constantly changing clubs.
IMG_20181207_224550_767.thumb.jpg.74de8bb24617321cf5f5f16eef88e729.jpg

I’ve actually felt Mizuno two or three times in the past two years

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Shot 82 today and left probably 5 strokes on the course. Maybe just thinking about playing the same gear is enough to improve

Volvo Intorqueo