TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dave's Impossible Project: Same Gear For A Year

GolfSpy Dave

Love this idea, and as I just shelled out money for new clubs I think I am going to try to copy it. Thanks!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

So anything you’re looking forward to trying to see if it makes the bag by the birthday?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Man sorry I thread jacked your thread without even posting myself.  Ha 

This is a great challenge and one I am seriously contemplating in some form or fashion.   Yeah, let the laughs begin.  

I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip, as much as we can when you can share.   I think Item No. 1 is going to blow you away 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 2 weeks later...

Dave - Good luck on your quest to break 80! Hopefully you can make it happen on a regular basis this year 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• SPY VIP
On 12/30/2018 at 7:06 AM, cksurfdude said:

Dave - Good luck on your quest to break 80! Hopefully you can make it happen on a regular basis this year 👍

Thanks. I'm optimistic, but my Callaway fitting let me know that I have a lot of work to do. More on that later this week...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'd be willing to bet you will improve your index AND enjoy the game just a little more.  Scoring well is always fun!  I liken it to the beginner who always uses rental clubs and buys his first set.  Just the consistency alone will shave 2-3 strokes off your game.

I think you'll miss the shiny things - until you see your scorecard.

Good luck!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• 1 month later...

Dave .. how's it going so far? You staying off eBay and other online golf stores at night after a few brews 😄

FWIW, I've .. somewhat* .. committed to a similar quest; ie. learning to play better with the gear I have. Been taking lessons and doing lots of practice.

* Leaving the door open to possibly adding something like a Ping Crossover or TM GAPR.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

UPDATE: Getting Fit and Locking It Down

So it’s been a couple of months since I decided that I would attempt to play the same gear for the year in 2019. Apologies for the delay but fittings had to happen, clubs had to be built, and NorCal for some reason needed to rain for the whole month of February. That being said, my plan was to lock down the golf bag by my 50th birthday, which was last week, so it’s an appropriate time to provide you with an update. To start, let’s dial everything back to just before Christmas in Carlsbad, CA.

Callaway Visit and Fitting

Locked Clubs 2019 - 1 (1).jpg

While visiting Callaway headquarters under the primary mission of learning about the new Odyssey 2019 putters (viva Stroke Lab!), I was able to sneak in a couple of hours at the HQ fitting center. I was fit for clubs there a long-ish time ago (RAZR irons), and that fitting still stands out as one of the best I’ve ever had. Having gone through shop fittings, and self fittings since then, I was definitely looking forward to seeing what they would put me into this time.

What I didn’t anticipate is that the fitting would also include an existential crisis.

Locked Clubs 2019 - 1 (2).jpg

The fitting started with the usual warm-up shots and discussion with the fitter about my game. I know that I am just not hitting the ball as far these days. At no point in time will I be publishing a video about me hitting head-to-head with Jamie Sadlowski. I accept that I just don’t hit it far anymore, but I still wasn’t prepared to see the shortness in cold, hard numbers.

When I was last in the Callaway fitting room in 2012, my 7i speed was around 87 mph, with the final shaft fit from that session being DG S300s. The increased weight really tightened up the dispersal and actually helped me to generate more ball speed.

This time, my 7i was topping out at 76 mph.

I knew that things were off, but I think that I had held out hope that the decline was not so significant. I know that I’m no longer benching 225, don’t have a regular lesson program, and that I had abdominal surgery a few years ago. All of that cuts the speed out of the equation. I just thought it would be less.

Driver speed fell about the same. Previously around 102, was now down at 90 mph. At least the slowing is consistent.

Locked Clubs 2019 - 6.jpg

Anyway, at the end of the session, we did come up with a club build to fit the current body. While the stock steel in the Apex 19 irons did give me a bit more distance, the consistency with the Project X 5.5 shafts caused me to go in that direction. Basically the ellipse with the PX shafts was smaller. Though losing distance hurts, knowing where the shot will go seems more important. Check the graph below to see the difference and to see what shortening the shaft 1/2" destroyed all consistency.

Fitting Circles.jpg

Although I was happy to leave there with the knowledge that I would soon be playing better fitting irons, and hybrids, it was very tough to stomach the numbers that I put up during the fitting. I feel like I should swing faster, and hit it longer, but I just don’t.

Locked Clubs 2019 - 2 (1).jpg

As an added bonus, I got to play golf with the Odyssey guys that afternoon. They are solid players, and all much longer than I am. Although my bag of clubs for that round was a bit of borrowed chaos, I feel like I didn’t embarrass myself too much. Naturally I didn’t mention what iron I was hitting into greens. Of course the Odyssey guys didn’t care, and were great hosts, but I was for sure at golf low point when I hit the hotel that evening.

Intermission Montage

While I waited for the Callaway stuff to arrive I:

• continued to play with the current set of Srixon irons
  • sold the Srixon irons
  • put my PING i25 irons back in the bag
  • continued to love my G400 driver
  • reshafted my G400 with a RS flex DI-6
  • loved my G400 driver even more
  • started going back to the gym
  • started the spring semester
  • sprained my SI joint
  • walked like a 95 year old man for three days
  • learned to stretch my SI joint
  • shot multiple rounds between 82-89
  • explored lesson options and realized that maybe I’m too poor to play good golf
  • turned 50
  • received new clubs from Callaway

Locking in the Clubs (-ish)

And so we sit here at my self-imposed deadline for club locking, and I am actually totally confident in locking part of the bag. Almost all of it really, but there are a couple of remaining question spots that I will get to in a second.

Regardless, here are the locks in no particular order.

Irons: Callaway Apex 19 - PX 5.5 - 2°up - (5-AW) - GP MCC PLUS4 Green

Locked Clubs 2019 - 4.jpg

I am locking these in after one round and a short range session. Although I still hit some dogs with these, I also hit the purest irons strikes that I have hit in years. I love the weighting, and the flex is such that I actually feel flex. I have the strong feeling that these will be the irons in my bag for quite some time.

Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha 4h - 21° set +1° and N - F3 Recoil 

Locked Clubs 2019 - 1.jpg

This club too was an insta-lock. It’s stupid easy to hit and once again the shaft actually feels like it works with me and not against me. On the range, I could hit this at any target, and this held true to some extent on the course too. Range strikes are always better, but this 4H actually gave me what I thought a 4H distance should be, ballpark 185 yards. Probably went less than that, but it goes, and I can control it, so summer rounds will probably be around 185.

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 - 54° & 58° - C-Taper RS shafts

Locked Clubs 2019 - 3.jpg

Although the fitting at Callaway was really about irons, they also sent along some other clubs to try and snag spots in my bag. For wedges, they sent along a 56° PM grind, and a 60° Mack Daddy 4. I think that these wedges could be the scoring tools that I need with practice, but as of right now I am way more consistent with the Cleveland wedges. I do everything around the green with that 54° wedge, and when I took the 56° PM wedge out instead, I just couldn’t hit the same shots. The PM architecture is just very different and I probably need time to adjust. The MD4 wedge is rad, but the gap from the Cleveland 54° is too great to combo them.

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Design Atlanta - Stroke Lab Shaft

Locked Clubs 2019 - 5.jpg

I’ve actually had this club in the bag longer than any of the other ones, and it continues to impress me with it’s consistency. It came down to this and the much beloved Bettinardi QB10. I just putt better with the Atlanta. My distance control is better, by solid margin, and I just don’t hit dogs with it as I sometimes do with other putters. I’ll still be testing putters throughout the year as that’s what I do, but the Atlanta is the 2019 gamer. I’ve had my putting instructor buddy play with me a few times and he’s in total agreement about the Atlanta.

Lingering Questions

Fairway Wood: Epic 3W vs. Epic Flash 3W

3W Options.jpg

I’ve been gaming the Epic Flash 3W for about a month now, and it’s almost perfect. My only hesitation is that the 65g-ish Tensi Blue feels a bit light. The complication really comes from a moment of Callawaypreowned.com weakness, when I ordered R-Flex 70g Fujikura Pro Green shafts for both my Epic 3W and 5W. I’ve been playing that shaft in stiff, but wanted to try it in regular after the fitting. I wish that the adapter was the same, so I could put the Fuji shaft in the Flash head, as I am thinking that is actually the best combo, but until I get an adapter, this will require some more testing.

18° Club: Epic 5W vs. Big Bertha 3H

18 degree options.jpg

I have become a 5W lover in the past year. Specifically, that Epic 5W. It is so easy to hit and just hums for me. Plus, I have it in a R-Flex shaft now, so it may be even happier. While the Big Bertha 4H was a lock, the 3H for whatever reason just didn’t have that same immediate feel. They do look a bit different, with the 3H on the left being a little smaller and steeper.

Locked Clubs 2019 - 2.jpg

Like with the  3 woods, these two are going to need some head to head time to see which one locks in.

Driver: PING G400 vs. Callaway Epic Flash

1W Options.jpg

I saved this one for last as I thought that the G400 was the most locked club in the bag. It may still be the lock, but since the Epic Flash arrived a week ago, I’m not so sure. After sky marking the new driver with the first range swing (not kidding) I proceeded to produce some shots on the range that were hugely long. The HZRDUS Smoke shaft definitely feels different than the DI-6, but it feels like I can dial it in and maybe capitalize on the distance. I’ve had it on the course one round, and it didn’t find the fairway like the G400, but it did hit into some deeper locations here and there, and the misses were longer for sure.

If accuracy improves, the 18 month run of the G400 could be at its end.

What’s next?

Locked Clubs 2019 - 7.jpg

While I have decided to push back the final lock deadline a bit to accommodate some additional play testing with the new clubs, I am still planning on locking the bag. I just need a couple of afternoons on the range and the course to do some head to heads. I’ll post something when everything is set.

I’ll also be looking into lessons. There is a new program in town that is offering 90 minute group lessons every Thursday for $250 a month. Seems high, but I need to find someone to take a look at my mess. Between that and the gym, maybe I can regain a MPH or two.

Stay tuned and place your bets on the remaining head to heads. In the mean time, enjoy a SoCal winter sunset.

Locked Clubs 2019 - 3 (1).jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

Great stuff Dave! I've had similar experience with Callaway wedges: look great, pretty good around the greens, but give me anything more than a half swing with them and I struggled with consistency. 

Regarding your speed loss, you'd be surprised at how much speed is lost through early extension. 

In early summer 2018 I was swinging the driver around 112. By the fall I was swinging the driver 105. The kicker? I was in better shape in the fall. Some really ugly early extension worked its way into my game and was zapping me of speed. I am just about to finish up my winter lesson program and driver swing speed is now in the low to mid teens. Now that I've got my weight shift and sequencing in a better spot. Hopefully a few lessons will give you some lost mph back, too 

• SPY VIP
17 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Great stuff Dave! I've had similar experience with Callaway wedges: look great, pretty good around the greens, but give me anything more than a half swing with them and I struggled with consistency. 

Regarding your speed loss, you'd be surprised at how much speed is lost through early extension. 

In early summer 2018 I was swinging the driver around 112. By the fall I was swinging the driver 105. The kicker? I was in better shape in the fall. Some really ugly early extension worked its way into my game and was zapping me of speed. I am just about to finish up my winter lesson program and driver swing speed is now in the low to mid teens. Now that I've got my weight shift and sequencing in a better spot. Hopefully a few lessons will give you some lost mph back, too 

Thanks for the tip and hope about early extension. Something is off. Once it gets a bit warmer, I'll be in a lesson program somewhere around here for sure.

Volvo Intorqueo

That was a very good read, Dave. I feel like you were writing about me with the distance loss, age, and even the SI pain.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Dave, take a look at the SuperSpeed golf trainer. Having the winters we do in the Northeast I generally started the season close to 10 mph off my driver swing speed than I ended the prior season. This is my second year of using the trainers and I get back to the start the year right where I left of the prior season. I don’t use it to gain speed but more to maintain it and at 42 years old with the body of John Daly I can still top out over 120mph when I jump on it and at around 115 mph for a stock tee ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

• 2 months later...
  • SPY VIP

The Major Check In

tigerusa.jpg

Well since the first major of the year has passed (how about that Tiger guy?), I thought it a good time to update this thread with my project progress. Now some of you have just played your first round of the year, but though rainy, the NorCal winter was just mild enough that I was able to play golf, and generate some data to base my conclusions upon. Let’s take a look at the current bag and the club replacement threat status.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash

Threat Level: GREEN

Collage Photos Bag - 2.jpg

This driver has performed better and better each week. The cool thing is that it is getting longer as I tweak my swing. Overall, I’ve been trying to shallow out my swing, and actually give the backswing time to complete before going forward. Swing changes can be dicey, but so far, the swings that match the new plan have been excellent.

I’m still tweaking the sliding weight a bit on the driver. I think that it’s down to two different adjacent spots, one that produces a slight fade, and the other that I can actually turn over to draw. I swear that the fades are deeper, but my brain/ego wants to see a draw.

All I know is that I’m hitting balls deeper on the home course than I was last year, and so the Epic Flash is going nowhere. My only concern is that drives are nearly all carry. I’d like to figure out how to shallow out the angle of descent to get some hard fairways roll, but that is a mystery that as of yet I’m a little clueless about. Teeing lower seems to help some, but also makes me more prone to wipes right as I alter my angle of attack and dynamic loft for some reason when the tee is lower.

I just keep telling myself that hitting fairways is more important than 15 yards of roll.

Fairway Woods: Callaway Epic 3W and 5W

Threat Level: BRILLIANT GREEN

joker_gun.jpg

The long game is coming into its own. These two clubs are so reliable and predictable for me that they are not going anywhere. The switch to the R-Flex Fujikura Pro Green shafts was a solid move. As distance is my main problem these days, it’s nice to have two weapons that work in the (not-that-long) long game.

These fairways deserve and Epic high five!

epic-high-five-batman.jpg

Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 2018 4H (and 3H)

Threat Level: GREEN AND GROWING

hybrids.jpg

I thought that these would be the first clubs replaced in the bag. For some reason, initial range and course interactions were awful. I had 180° dispersion and was hitting the 18° 3H about 140 yards. That was why I ultimately started this project with the 3H in the garage, and used the 5W to cover those distances.

Well, as I’ve changed my swing a bit, and become more comfortable with the 4H in my bag, I come to appreciate and trust the Big Bertha 4H, so much so that I’m adding the 3H back in to address another club issue that I’ll get to in a moment.

The only tweaks for these is that they are both set to draw and +2 loft, making the 3H 20° and the 4H 22°. These settings mesh nicely with the 15°/18° fairway woods.

This is a new plan, so data collection on the switch will start this weekend. I have high hopes that I will be able to rely on these hybrids like my previously favorited RAZR X hybrids.

Irons: Callaway APEX 19

Threat Level: YELLOW

fine.jpg

I should probably have two colors listed for the threat level, but YELLOW makes for a nice merger of the GREEN and RED conditions for the irons. It has definitely taken some time to adjust to these, but they are really responding to the new swing. I’ve actually had some GIRs in recent weeks, and for a one-putt-par guy like myself, that is an amazing feeling. Having two putts to make a par feels like cheating…

I feel confident in the irons 6-AW, but unfortunately the set also has a 5i in it, and thus the hybrid alterations above. I just can’t get this club to work. The 6i is fine, but once I get to the 5i, all bets are off. The other irons are all high launching, with the typical flight being a little right to left. The 5i really likes to take the pull-slice-corkscrew route. It’s maddening. I can’t for the life of me figure out what the issue is, and it’s become an issue, giving me zero confidence in hitting the green whenever it comes out. That’s why I’m adding and adjusting the hybrids.

5i.jpg

There is now a 4.5° gap between the 4H and the 6i, and I’m not sure how that will play out on the course. Am I now dead at 170 yards? Do I need to get the already strong 6i bent a degree stronger? I’m going to play and see.

My only other concern is that the Project X shafts may be too heavy for lots of golf, with end of round fatigue being a real thing. I’ve boosted my exercise plan, so that may help, but those thoughts of Recoil 95 just keep creeping back into my head.

UPDATE: I wrote that paragraph a few days ago, and things may have changed as far as shafts. This morning I finally did the new Mizuno Shaft Optimizer fitting tool and found that the PX 5.5 are the 8th rated shaft for me. Ugh. Really, really, really liked the C-Taper Lite, and was actually getting the Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5i on to the green at 175. I almost needed to change my shorts. That said, I am sticking to this project, and going with the adjusted hybrid - drop 5i plan for the next time period. I did look at the Hot Metal Pros online though...

Shaft Optimizer.jpeg

Wedges: Cleveland RTX3

Locked Clubs 2019 - 3.jpg

Love these wedges. I’ve spent some time goofing around with a 56° Callaway PM grind, but nothing gets the ball to the target on the green like these Clevelands. I’ve actually added a couple of different shots to the short game arsenal with them. Though still puckering, high, short shots, and low spinners are now not completely impossible.

One plus of being so bad with my irons is that I’ve gained some skills with the short game to compensate.

Putter: Odyssey/Toulon Atlanta S

Threat Level: RED

Atlanta Out.jpg

I bet that it comes as no surprise that the putter is the first club to get the boot. I even went as far as to make this a 13 club project, knowing that the likelihood of any putter staying in the bag for long was unlikely. I’ve got putter promiscuity problems.

So what happened to the Atlanta? To this day, it is probably my favorite putter from distance. I can lag this thing in close for days. The Stroke Lab shaft and balance are outstanding. The issue is that I can’t aim it in close. From inside of seven feet or so, when putts should be easier, I spray more than a freshman at his first kegger. Seriously, I can’t stand over it an know for sure where it is going. I tried using the line on the ball as a training aide, and have spent lots of hours and putter trying it out, but I just can’t get the eye and the stroke to match.

I have the feeling that the round head aversion is coming into play. Something is just not clicking, and now that missing short thought is cemented in my head so the Atlanta is heading south.

putter.jpg

So what’s in the bag? It’s a bit rotational. The EXO 2-Ball shows real promise, but I hesitate there because of a long held belief that if I become comfortable gaming a 2-Ball that it will wreck me for all other putters that are not 2-Balls.

The old faithful Bettinardi Signature 5 and new mistress Queen B 10 have also gone out to play. I do have something super sexy coming in the mail that could swipe the spot, but as of right now, the putter well has gone dry.

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Z-STAR-XV-6-WHITE-ALT4.jpg

Someone that I know and trust suggested that I play a firmer ball, basically saying that anything with “soft” in the name was costing me serious yards. As I’m prone to suggestion, I cleared out all of the Bridgestone 330-RXs and Callaway Chrome Softs from the bag, instead filling it up with Z-Star XV balls. I’ve had a couple of dozen in the garage for a while, but always passes over them as they are designed for people who swing harder than I do. But trusting a guy, we will call him “Tony”, I played the harder ball.

Since doing that, I have shot 82 each of the past two times I was out, with previous rounds being 85 or 86. For those not in the know, remember that I am a 11 HCP who has never broken 80. That was one of the reasons for doing this whole thing in the first place.

The full swing game was so much better. Longer, and straighter too. Had I had a putter of confidence, I could have broken 80 since both of those rounds had a couple of doubles in them.

I need to remember that shooting lower, not bagging shiny new stuff, is the whole reason for doing this.

See You Next Major 

Anyway, thanks for reading all of this. I appreciate all of you on the other side of the computer following along. It keeps me on track, and keeps me from just randomly ordering clubs on a whim. I went to a huge demo day today and bought nothing. Not a single club. Sure, I did walk around the used tent with a couple of putters (Metal X Milled 2 and old Anser 4) for a while, but I put them down unpurchased.

Volvo Intorqueo

Great stuff Dave, stay strong and you'll be under 80 very soon!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Got the same shaft on the optimizer and absolutely fell head over heels in love with it...

Sounds like a really fun project with a lot of potential. Good luck!!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

p.s.  From one club ho to another.  Swapping shafts doesn't count as a different club 😉 

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

17 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

p.s.  From one club ho to another.  Swapping shafts doesn't count as a different club 😉 

I endorse this thought. 

Great stuff Dave.  Can two staff members actually commit to and stick with a "locked in bag?" 

We shall see. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 4/26/2019 at 5:34 PM, GolfSpy Dave said:

I feel confident in the irons 6-AW, but unfortunately the set also has a 5i in it, and thus the hybrid

FWIW, I have a set of Apex CF16s .. with Recoils .. that I'm pretty happy with. Up to the 6i, that is. I'm just too short - or so I keep telling myself 😉 - but just too under-skilled 😞 to effectively hit a 5i. At least for now (or so I keep telling myself). Got a Ping G Crossover 5 to fill that slot, and it seems to be working for me.

Mentioned earlier in the thread that I'm also trying to focus on improving my game - technique and strategery-wise - and trying hard not to make any club changes; learning to play the sticks I have. Been spending money on clinics and lessons. Cannot brag about breaking any milestones (..yet...) but I do see improvements over last year (yea!).

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

320704042_BettinardiQBBee.jpg.90d332cf37db0887046ca2f88dfe0448.jpg
Quick Update
Guess who has flown back into the putter well...

I see the Bee! . Great putter

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 4 months later...

04E71670-3DBB-4889-80E0-9F207F91E41D.gif.716cbf6cd40af732c752196ef6426b7c.gif

This was a fun dream

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 1 year later...

What happen, did you make it? 

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

• 3 weeks later...

Interested in this as well. Did you break 80? Also, I think I will do this for 2021, this year I got really back into golf and switched clubs too many times. I’m sure I would’ve stayed more consistent with the same set all year. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash