Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
GolfSpy Dave

Dave's Impossible Project: Same Gear For A Year

Love this one Dave, now where's the section for prop bets or over/under and pick a date?

I know you don't really have much of an "off season" but I find it's both helpful and hurtful for my club ho'ing tendencies.  Once the season starts here and I finally get to play my bag doesn't usually change much at all.  It's in the off season that I start lusting over shiny things and usually end up with a pile of stuff to try out once the courses open.  Maybe it's that our season is so short that I don't have time to be experimenting with different things, but I've found playing regularly makes me not want as many shiny new things.

Also for the first time I can remember I'm a month in to my winter blues and I don't have any equipment wants at the moment.  That said there are a lot of shiny news things coming in the next 2 months that could change my mind.  I've also got a stock pile of clubs to sell or trade in that could potentially replenish the golf equipment slush fund... aka PayPal.

Here is my only advice/tweak I'd suggest and you kind of have it built in already.  Commit to playing the same sticks, but break up the year into trimesters.  Commit for the first trimester.  Reassess, tweak if needed and recommit for the 2nd trimester.  Rinse and repeat.

Also when you evaluate the club try looking at it this way.  Can you hit it well to the best of your personal ability 80% of the time?  If the answer is no it probably doesn't deserve to be in the bag.  Does the club save you strokes or cost you strokes overall?  If it's overall costing you strokes then it gots to go.

Can't wait to see how this plays out, I'll be following along!

• Like 6

I'm the opposite. Just traded out my driver after 4 years of service. Otherwise it's been the same stuff in the bag for the last two years and the only change was adding a a 3W. I've always been interested in the opposite end of the spectrum... what would it take for a club ho to keep everything in the bag. Good luck and I'm curious to see how this ends up... whether you go back afterwards to swapping out clubs or if you keep the current set well beyond the year.

Good luck on breaking 80!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

Here is my only advice/tweak I'd suggest and you kind of have it built in already.  Commit to playing the same sticks, but break up the year into trimesters.  Commit for the first trimester.  Reassess, tweak if needed and recommit for the 2nd trimester.  Rinse and repeat.

Also when you evaluate the club try looking at it this way.  Can you hit it well to the best of your personal ability 80% of the time?  If the answer is no it probably doesn't deserve to be in the bag.  Does the club save you strokes or cost you strokes overall?  If it's overall costing you strokes then it gots to go.

Can't wait to see how this plays out, I'll be following along!

Maybe I should do it based upon the majors... 🙂

Like the 80% idea a bunch. That gives me something a bit more concrete to approach the assessment.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Great challenge Dave! I know you can do what you put your mind to.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Thanks Foz. I think that it was the Cobra Connect Challenge stuff that got me thinking about this as well. Maybe I need to add a set of sensors to whatever I end up playing for the year.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Chasing the Amy of equipment is fun but can distract you from the real culprit for lost strokes over rounds played. I recommend keeping your statistics and instead of assuming something shiny will make the difference focus on improving the techniques that will help you to more consistently execute the shot.

Moving into the 70s means you absolutely need to remove the big numbers from your card. You get only 7 total strokes lost per round. A double or even triple bogey quickly diminishes your ability to reach the number you desire. Your goal is 13 pars and nothing above a bogey.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Shot 82 today and left probably 5 strokes on the course. Maybe just thinking about playing the same gear is enough to improve

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

Man sorry I thread jacked your thread without even posting myself.  Ha 

This is a great challenge and one I am seriously contemplating in some form or fashion.   Yeah, let the laughs begin.  

I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip, as much as we can when you can share.   I think Item No. 1 is going to blow you away 😎

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This is a great challenge and one I am seriously contemplating in some form or fashion.   Yeah, let the laughs begin.  

I made the joke when this thread started so you're a little late Rob lol

On 12/30/2018 at 7:06 AM, cksurfdude said:

Dave - Good luck on your quest to break 80! Hopefully you can make it happen on a regular basis this year 👍

Thanks. I'm optimistic, but my Callaway fitting let me know that I have a lot of work to do. More on that later this week...

• Like 1

I'd be willing to bet you will improve your index AND enjoy the game just a little more.  Scoring well is always fun!  I liken it to the beginner who always uses rental clubs and buys his first set.  Just the consistency alone will shave 2-3 strokes off your game.

I think you'll miss the shiny things - until you see your scorecard.

Good luck!

• Like 1