GolfSpy Dave

Dave's Impossible Project: Same Gear For A Year

Our Sponsors

On 12/11/2018 at 1:04 PM, GolfSpy Dave said:

schadenfreude

LOL.... great read Dave. I'll try and keep an eye your exploits.

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Love this one Dave, now where's the section for prop bets or over/under and pick a date?

I know you don't really have much of an "off season" but I find it's both helpful and hurtful for my club ho'ing tendencies.  Once the season starts here and I finally get to play my bag doesn't usually change much at all.  It's in the off season that I start lusting over shiny things and usually end up with a pile of stuff to try out once the courses open.  Maybe it's that our season is so short that I don't have time to be experimenting with different things, but I've found playing regularly makes me not want as many shiny new things.

Also for the first time I can remember I'm a month in to my winter blues and I don't have any equipment wants at the moment.  That said there are a lot of shiny news things coming in the next 2 months that could change my mind.  I've also got a stock pile of clubs to sell or trade in that could potentially replenish the golf equipment slush fund... aka PayPal.

Here is my only advice/tweak I'd suggest and you kind of have it built in already.  Commit to playing the same sticks, but break up the year into trimesters.  Commit for the first trimester.  Reassess, tweak if needed and recommit for the 2nd trimester.  Rinse and repeat.

Also when you evaluate the club try looking at it this way.  Can you hit it well to the best of your personal ability 80% of the time?  If the answer is no it probably doesn't deserve to be in the bag.  Does the club save you strokes or cost you strokes overall?  If it's overall costing you strokes then it gots to go.

Can't wait to see how this plays out, I'll be following along!

• Like 6

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm the opposite. Just traded out my driver after 4 years of service. Otherwise it's been the same stuff in the bag for the last two years and the only change was adding a a 3W. I've always been interested in the opposite end of the spectrum... what would it take for a club ho to keep everything in the bag. Good luck and I'm curious to see how this ends up... whether you go back afterwards to swapping out clubs or if you keep the current set well beyond the year.

Good luck on breaking 80!

• Like 2

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

15 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

Here is my only advice/tweak I'd suggest and you kind of have it built in already.  Commit to playing the same sticks, but break up the year into trimesters.  Commit for the first trimester.  Reassess, tweak if needed and recommit for the 2nd trimester.  Rinse and repeat.

Also when you evaluate the club try looking at it this way.  Can you hit it well to the best of your personal ability 80% of the time?  If the answer is no it probably doesn't deserve to be in the bag.  Does the club save you strokes or cost you strokes overall?  If it's overall costing you strokes then it gots to go.

Can't wait to see how this plays out, I'll be following along!

Maybe I should do it based upon the majors... 🙂

Like the 80% idea a bunch. That gives me something a bit more concrete to approach the assessment.

• Like 2

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Great challenge Dave! I know you can do what you put your mind to.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

14 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Great challenge Dave! I know you can do what you put your mind to.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Thanks Foz. I think that it was the Cobra Connect Challenge stuff that got me thinking about this as well. Maybe I need to add a set of sensors to whatever I end up playing for the year.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Volvo Intorqueo

Chasing the Amy of equipment is fun but can distract you from the real culprit for lost strokes over rounds played. I recommend keeping your statistics and instead of assuming something shiny will make the difference focus on improving the techniques that will help you to more consistently execute the shot.

Moving into the 70s means you absolutely need to remove the big numbers from your card. You get only 7 total strokes lost per round. A double or even triple bogey quickly diminishes your ability to reach the number you desire. Your goal is 13 pars and nothing above a bogey.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Dave

I know the issue you are having and why you are constantly changing clubs.

IMG_20181207_224550_767.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Dave
I know the issue you are having and why you are constantly changing clubs.
IMG_20181207_224550_767.thumb.jpg.74de8bb24617321cf5f5f16eef88e729.jpg

I’ve actually felt Mizuno two or three times in the past two years

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Volvo Intorqueo

Shot 82 today and left probably 5 strokes on the course. Maybe just thinking about playing the same gear is enough to improve

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Volvo Intorqueo

Love this idea, and as I just shelled out money for new clubs I think I am going to try to copy it. Thanks!

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairway:   :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 15* w/ Atmos Black 7X 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 19* w/ Tensei White 90  

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

So anything you’re looking forward to trying to see if it makes the bag by the birthday?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Man sorry I thread jacked your thread without even posting myself.  Ha 

This is a great challenge and one I am seriously contemplating in some form or fashion.   Yeah, let the laughs begin.  

I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip, as much as we can when you can share.   I think Item No. 1 is going to blow you away 😎

• Like 4

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This is a great challenge and one I am seriously contemplating in some form or fashion.   Yeah, let the laughs begin.  

I made the joke when this thread started so you're a little late Rob lol

Dave - Good luck on your quest to break 80! Hopefully you can make it happen on a regular basis this year 👍

• Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
..Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
..Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
..Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator...
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/39526-2020-official-member-review-exputt-putting-simulator/page/1/#comments

On 12/30/2018 at 7:06 AM, cksurfdude said:

Dave - Good luck on your quest to break 80! Hopefully you can make it happen on a regular basis this year 👍

Thanks. I'm optimistic, but my Callaway fitting let me know that I have a lot of work to do. More on that later this week...

• Like 1

Volvo Intorqueo

I'd be willing to bet you will improve your index AND enjoy the game just a little more.  Scoring well is always fun!  I liken it to the beginner who always uses rental clubs and buys his first set.  Just the consistency alone will shave 2-3 strokes off your game.

I think you'll miss the shiny things - until you see your scorecard.

Good luck!

• Like 2

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Dave .. how's it going so far? You staying off eBay and other online golf stores at night after a few brews 😄

FWIW, I've .. somewhat* .. committed to a similar quest; ie. learning to play better with the gear I have. Been taking lessons and doing lots of practice.

* Leaving the door open to possibly adding something like a Ping Crossover or TM GAPR.

• Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
..Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
..Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
..Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator...
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/39526-2020-official-member-review-exputt-putting-simulator/page/1/#comments

UPDATE: Getting Fit and Locking It Down

So it’s been a couple of months since I decided that I would attempt to play the same gear for the year in 2019. Apologies for the delay but fittings had to happen, clubs had to be built, and NorCal for some reason needed to rain for the whole month of February. That being said, my plan was to lock down the golf bag by my 50th birthday, which was last week, so it’s an appropriate time to provide you with an update. To start, let’s dial everything back to just before Christmas in Carlsbad, CA.

Callaway Visit and Fitting

Locked Clubs 2019 - 1 (1).jpg

While visiting Callaway headquarters under the primary mission of learning about the new Odyssey 2019 putters (viva Stroke Lab!), I was able to sneak in a couple of hours at the HQ fitting center. I was fit for clubs there a long-ish time ago (RAZR irons), and that fitting still stands out as one of the best I’ve ever had. Having gone through shop fittings, and self fittings since then, I was definitely looking forward to seeing what they would put me into this time.

What I didn’t anticipate is that the fitting would also include an existential crisis.

Locked Clubs 2019 - 1 (2).jpg

The fitting started with the usual warm-up shots and discussion with the fitter about my game. I know that I am just not hitting the ball as far these days. At no point in time will I be publishing a video about me hitting head-to-head with Jamie Sadlowski. I accept that I just don’t hit it far anymore, but I still wasn’t prepared to see the shortness in cold, hard numbers.

When I was last in the Callaway fitting room in 2012, my 7i speed was around 87 mph, with the final shaft fit from that session being DG S300s. The increased weight really tightened up the dispersal and actually helped me to generate more ball speed.

This time, my 7i was topping out at 76 mph.

I knew that things were off, but I think that I had held out hope that the decline was not so significant. I know that I’m no longer benching 225, don’t have a regular lesson program, and that I had abdominal surgery a few years ago. All of that cuts the speed out of the equation. I just thought it would be less.

Driver speed fell about the same. Previously around 102, was now down at 90 mph. At least the slowing is consistent.

Locked Clubs 2019 - 6.jpg

Anyway, at the end of the session, we did come up with a club build to fit the current body. While the stock steel in the Apex 19 irons did give me a bit more distance, the consistency with the Project X 5.5 shafts caused me to go in that direction. Basically the ellipse with the PX shafts was smaller. Though losing distance hurts, knowing where the shot will go seems more important. Check the graph below to see the difference and to see what shortening the shaft 1/2" destroyed all consistency.

Fitting Circles.jpg

Although I was happy to leave there with the knowledge that I would soon be playing better fitting irons, and hybrids, it was very tough to stomach the numbers that I put up during the fitting. I feel like I should swing faster, and hit it longer, but I just don’t.

Locked Clubs 2019 - 2 (1).jpg

As an added bonus, I got to play golf with the Odyssey guys that afternoon. They are solid players, and all much longer than I am. Although my bag of clubs for that round was a bit of borrowed chaos, I feel like I didn’t embarrass myself too much. Naturally I didn’t mention what iron I was hitting into greens. Of course the Odyssey guys didn’t care, and were great hosts, but I was for sure at golf low point when I hit the hotel that evening.

Intermission Montage

While I waited for the Callaway stuff to arrive I:

• continued to play with the current set of Srixon irons
  • sold the Srixon irons
  • put my PING i25 irons back in the bag
  • continued to love my G400 driver
  • reshafted my G400 with a RS flex DI-6
  • loved my G400 driver even more
  • started going back to the gym
  • started the spring semester
  • sprained my SI joint
  • walked like a 95 year old man for three days
  • learned to stretch my SI joint
  • shot multiple rounds between 82-89
  • explored lesson options and realized that maybe I’m too poor to play good golf
  • turned 50
  • received new clubs from Callaway

Locking in the Clubs (-ish)

And so we sit here at my self-imposed deadline for club locking, and I am actually totally confident in locking part of the bag. Almost all of it really, but there are a couple of remaining question spots that I will get to in a second.

Regardless, here are the locks in no particular order.

Irons: Callaway Apex 19 - PX 5.5 - 2°up - (5-AW) - GP MCC PLUS4 Green

Locked Clubs 2019 - 4.jpg

I am locking these in after one round and a short range session. Although I still hit some dogs with these, I also hit the purest irons strikes that I have hit in years. I love the weighting, and the flex is such that I actually feel flex. I have the strong feeling that these will be the irons in my bag for quite some time.

Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha 4h - 21° set +1° and N - F3 Recoil 

Locked Clubs 2019 - 1.jpg

This club too was an insta-lock. It’s stupid easy to hit and once again the shaft actually feels like it works with me and not against me. On the range, I could hit this at any target, and this held true to some extent on the course too. Range strikes are always better, but this 4H actually gave me what I thought a 4H distance should be, ballpark 185 yards. Probably went less than that, but it goes, and I can control it, so summer rounds will probably be around 185.

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 - 54° & 58° - C-Taper RS shafts

Locked Clubs 2019 - 3.jpg

Although the fitting at Callaway was really about irons, they also sent along some other clubs to try and snag spots in my bag. For wedges, they sent along a 56° PM grind, and a 60° Mack Daddy 4. I think that these wedges could be the scoring tools that I need with practice, but as of right now I am way more consistent with the Cleveland wedges. I do everything around the green with that 54° wedge, and when I took the 56° PM wedge out instead, I just couldn’t hit the same shots. The PM architecture is just very different and I probably need time to adjust. The MD4 wedge is rad, but the gap from the Cleveland 54° is too great to combo them.

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Design Atlanta - Stroke Lab Shaft

Locked Clubs 2019 - 5.jpg

I’ve actually had this club in the bag longer than any of the other ones, and it continues to impress me with it’s consistency. It came down to this and the much beloved Bettinardi QB10. I just putt better with the Atlanta. My distance control is better, by solid margin, and I just don’t hit dogs with it as I sometimes do with other putters. I’ll still be testing putters throughout the year as that’s what I do, but the Atlanta is the 2019 gamer. I’ve had my putting instructor buddy play with me a few times and he’s in total agreement about the Atlanta.

Lingering Questions

Fairway Wood: Epic 3W vs. Epic Flash 3W

3W Options.jpg

I’ve been gaming the Epic Flash 3W for about a month now, and it’s almost perfect. My only hesitation is that the 65g-ish Tensi Blue feels a bit light. The complication really comes from a moment of Callawaypreowned.com weakness, when I ordered R-Flex 70g Fujikura Pro Green shafts for both my Epic 3W and 5W. I’ve been playing that shaft in stiff, but wanted to try it in regular after the fitting. I wish that the adapter was the same, so I could put the Fuji shaft in the Flash head, as I am thinking that is actually the best combo, but until I get an adapter, this will require some more testing.

18° Club: Epic 5W vs. Big Bertha 3H

18 degree options.jpg

I have become a 5W lover in the past year. Specifically, that Epic 5W. It is so easy to hit and just hums for me. Plus, I have it in a R-Flex shaft now, so it may be even happier. While the Big Bertha 4H was a lock, the 3H for whatever reason just didn’t have that same immediate feel. They do look a bit different, with the 3H on the left being a little smaller and steeper.

Locked Clubs 2019 - 2.jpg

Like with the  3 woods, these two are going to need some head to head time to see which one locks in.

Driver: PING G400 vs. Callaway Epic Flash

1W Options.jpg

I saved this one for last as I thought that the G400 was the most locked club in the bag. It may still be the lock, but since the Epic Flash arrived a week ago, I’m not so sure. After sky marking the new driver with the first range swing (not kidding) I proceeded to produce some shots on the range that were hugely long. The HZRDUS Smoke shaft definitely feels different than the DI-6, but it feels like I can dial it in and maybe capitalize on the distance. I’ve had it on the course one round, and it didn’t find the fairway like the G400, but it did hit into some deeper locations here and there, and the misses were longer for sure.

If accuracy improves, the 18 month run of the G400 could be at its end.

What’s next?

Locked Clubs 2019 - 7.jpg

While I have decided to push back the final lock deadline a bit to accommodate some additional play testing with the new clubs, I am still planning on locking the bag. I just need a couple of afternoons on the range and the course to do some head to heads. I’ll post something when everything is set.

I’ll also be looking into lessons. There is a new program in town that is offering 90 minute group lessons every Thursday for $250 a month. Seems high, but I need to find someone to take a look at my mess. Between that and the gym, maybe I can regain a MPH or two.

Stay tuned and place your bets on the remaining head to heads. In the mean time, enjoy a SoCal winter sunset.

Locked Clubs 2019 - 3 (1).jpg

• Like 7

Volvo Intorqueo

Great stuff Dave! I've had similar experience with Callaway wedges: look great, pretty good around the greens, but give me anything more than a half swing with them and I struggled with consistency. 

Regarding your speed loss, you'd be surprised at how much speed is lost through early extension. 

In early summer 2018 I was swinging the driver around 112. By the fall I was swinging the driver 105. The kicker? I was in better shape in the fall. Some really ugly early extension worked its way into my game and was zapping me of speed. I am just about to finish up my winter lesson program and driver swing speed is now in the low to mid teens. Now that I've got my weight shift and sequencing in a better spot. Hopefully a few lessons will give you some lost mph back, too 

• Like 3

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 Plus Ping 9* VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH