I'm moving up a tee or two

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After being humiliated by the longest 6,700 yard course I have ever played down at Grand Cypress New and in reflecting on how poorly I played, I've come to the conclusion that I will never ever play t

I'm knocking on the door of 60, and I guess I'm just an old grumpy dude. I don't care what tees everybody plays from, My criteria for what tees I play from is par 3 in 1, par 4 in 2 and par 5 in 3 str

... Always an interesting topic. I would start by saying most people that play golf cannot reach par 5's in two strokes. As a +indeex at 65 I can probably rich about 25% of par 5's in 2, an on some co

Posted Images

Welcome to the club, I'm 56 years old and realized a few years back that I needed to move up to the white tee box, my local golf course gave me a false sense of how far I actually hit the ball due to firm fairways that let the ball run, but, after playing a course we're carrying the ball a long distance was necessary for a good approach shot, I realized just how short I actually drive the ball. Old age and reality suck!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm in a similar boat at 50. When I played a couple weeks ago, the gap between the two middle sets of tees was pretty big, so we chose the longer of the two at about 6700 yards. Combine with the soft, wet conditions and it was a pretty draining round having long irons or hybrids to many greens. We still had a great time and played pretty well, all things considered, but it really illustrated the point to me that I get the most enjoyment if I stick to around 6500 yards max.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 5

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

I'm 59 and I've been playing the white tees for 6 years. I can still play from the blue tees, but I don't feel the need to anymore.

edit: I can play from the blues, but I score around 5-6 strokes worse. It's more fun to play when you have approach shots that are no more than 170 - 100  to the green depending on the length of the hole.

Edited by silver & black
  • Like 3

GSWAG got Woke!

First off why were you trying to compete from the same tee with young guys that hit the ball 8 miles? I play with some young guys off  and on but they play the back tee. Not me. At my course I play the White tee which is about 6300 yds. So when those young guys are wearing it out from the tips I'm wearing it out from the white tee. And... we're competitive!! Who cares? The various tee markers are not there due to scoring ability. They're there for distance purposes meaning how far a person hits the ball.

I'm two months shy of 64 and moved up a couple of years ago. Now I play better & score better. Why?... distance!!

• Like 8

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Another thought on this topic, sometimes during a round I will use different tees based on yardage, a 200 yard par 3, yea, I can reach it with my 3 iron, but it's pretty much a poke and hope. I move up to the reds at around 160 and it becomes a golf shot!

When playing my myself I'm always bouncing between colors of

Cuz the tees, based on yardage. After all golf is supposed to be fun....right?

Edited by LeftyHawk
  • Like 5

Far and Sure......

:ping-small:G410 SFT (10.5 degree), Project X Hzrdus Yellow Stiff Shaft

:ping-small:: G20 4W

:callaway-small:       GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small:: G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*  

:wilson_staff_small: PMP FG Tour 60*                                                        

:odyssey-small:    OWorks Black #1

:taylormade-small: TP5 Pix

The point is to have fun. What’s so great about dribbling fairway woods into the collar of every short par 4 when you have the option to still hit an iron or hybrid.

I think the game is lost on some who feel the delusion of pairing their game with par. There is nothing wrong with playing an easier set of tees if it gives you that great shot and great shot result feeling more often during a round.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

13 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

First off why were you trying to compete from the same tee with young guys that hit the ball 8 miles?

A)  It was an FSGA event and I was intrigued by the alternate shot format, which I had never played before.

B)  I was attracted mainly to the course, Grand Cypress New, that I had never played before, and wanted to see what it was like.

Obviously I had no clue I'd be hitting from the longest 6,700 yards ever.  Live and learn I suppose.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
Another thought on this topic, sometimes during a round I will use different tees based on yardage, a 200 yard par 3, yea, I can reach it with my 3 iron, but it's pretty much a poke and hope. I move up to the reds at around 160 and it becomes a golf shot!
When playing my myself I'm always bouncing between colors of

Cuz the tees, based on yardage. After all golf is supposed to be fun....right?

I’m fully in this camp but I believe GSwag plays in competitive events with handicap. If that’s the case this option is off the table for him.

I keep my events to league ones or at the league or club course where everyone knows me and my handicap committee s consistent with the group.

Other than that we play the course we agree upon as the round proceeds because we want to have fun!

• Like 2

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

... Always an interesting topic. I would start by saying most people that play golf cannot reach par 5's in two strokes. As a +indeex at 65 I can probably rich about 25% of par 5's in 2, an on some courses it is 0%. Much like guys on tour that lay up for a 3rd shot on a par 5 while Dustin/Rory/Justin can reach a 600yd par 5 with an iron, the shorter hitters  manage the hole and certainly get their share of birdies. So what young guys hitting the ball 300yds can do should be irrelevant to which tees you play. 

... The key to playing golf is the ability to play the hole the way it was designed to be played. I like to use all the clubs in my bag and challenge myself, so maybe a very difficult 485 yd par 4 into the wind or slightly uphill that allows me to run the ball onto the green or I may not be able to reach in 2 is a good strategic challenge. But more than one unreachable par 4 and I am most likely playing the wrong tees. Greens are designed to be approached with a specific club, for instance a short 295 yd par 4 with deep bunkers and steep fall offs are designed to have a short iron or wedge that you can hit high and land softly. Same with a hole designed to be approached with a mid iron at worst but certainly not a hybrid or wood. If that is the case, time to move up and play the hole the way it was designed. 

... And not only do you have to look at if you can play the hole with the right clubs, you have to consider how well you play overall. If you are a high index player with inconsistent contact producing poor shots even if you have the length to play the hole if you hit every shot perfectly (which of course you don't) hitting a short iron is always easier than hitting a longer iron. So while low index payers may enjoy the challenge, a high index player finding bunkers, water and trees because of inconsistency is not a recipe for fun. 

... Much like my mantra that all golfers should play the most forgiving irons they can effectively play, I think all golfers should play the closest tees they can effectively play. Moving up is always a good idea unless the course plays so easy you are hitting driver wedge on every hole. The bottom line is as amateur golfers, first and foremost we should be having fun when we play, and for different players that can have a different meaning. But I think using the right clubs and playing the right tees is a great place to start.  

• Like 9

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 60R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

In the Netherlands where I live and play the Dutch Golf Federation has issued guidelines as to which tees are appropriate for different levels of player. Typically we have 5 tees here - white are the back tees ( tips ? ), yellow are for everyday play, blue are a mix of red and yellow, red are what used to be called the ladies tees, and orange are very short for beginners.

They reckon to play from the tips you need to be able to hit it 240 yards plus, yellow a minimum of 210, blue a minimum of 175. Of course most people think they hit it further that they actually do, but I've persuaded my colleagues and many others to play from blue instead of automatically marching to yellow - with much more pleasurable results and more fun generally , which is what we're aiming for right ! Plus it speeds up play...

• Like 6

All you 50 and 60-something year old golfers, all I can say is "been there, done that".  At 71 years old I moved up years ago, and depending on the course I might more up further.  

My course only has four sets of tees:  Black 6600, Blue 6100, White 5400, and Red 4700 yards, and the elevation is 400 feet.  I play from 6100, and actually the way the course is set up, playing from 5400 yards doesn't offer me that much advantage on most holes which is why I haven't considered moving up further.  Most of the difference between Blue and White occurs on only 5 holes, and there is very little difference on the par 5's.  

One par 3 from the Blues varies in distance from 180-220 yards, and typically plays into the wind.  I can't reach any par 5 in two shots; depending on the wind, I may not reach two of them in three shots.  Lack of distance is a killer, and it's why I have spent so much time on my short game just to maintain the game I have.

When my wife and I travel, I always look for courses that have tees around 6000 yards.  I did play a course in Albuquerque, NM from 6500 yards with some friends a few years ago, but it's at 6000 feet elevation and firm fairways.  I scored OK, but I would never do it anywhere else.

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm getting depressed reading this thread.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

19 minutes ago, Har in the Hat said:

I'm getting depressed reading this thread.

... Hang in there Har! I am 65 and still playing 6500-6700 because I work out doing both cardio and lifting weights. Ya can't cheat father time but you can keep him at bay for as long as possible. And the good news is you can play into your 90's even if you have to move up tee boxes and what other sport allows you to play til you cash in your chips? 👴

Edited by chisag
  • Like 7

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 60R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Nailed it, as usual, Chisag...

Approaching 63, I’ll still play the blues as some of my friends won’t play whites. But others won’t play blues, so I’ll play whites with them. It obviously is easier to score from up, but it also allows me to use a lot of different clubs by playing different tees randomly. But as soon as I start losing distance, I’ll probably get some new clubs that are more distance friendly, and then eventually move up. For me right now, it’s more about fighting the inevitable process of aging. Right now I still can play the blues so I will, until I physically can’t. I’m hoping to get a few more years in. Another thing is that by being used to playing blues, when you do move up, it almost feels like cheating, but it’s not!

reaching par 5’s in two is possible now and then, but requires two great shots. Often you’re penalized if you miss by getting into an icky trap or something. Laying up is often much more birdie friendly, with a good chip, vs a long sand or rough shot, but I’ll still go for it if I’m within say 200 yds, cuz I’m a glutton.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

OK youngsters I’m with you. At 72 I’ve been playing white tees for around 1.5 years moving from the blue tees. A couple of the guys are even talking about moving up one motto the green tees. I’m staying @ the whites for probably 2-3 more years then make the move. At first I felt a bit guilty but not anymore, it is what it is, I’m an old fart and got to deal with it!

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, chisag said:

But I think using the right clubs and playing the right tees is a great place to start.  

This whole post should be printed and given to every new golfer.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

• SPY VIP

My usual course added blue/white combo tees this year, and I played them for the first time a few months ago. Drops yardage from 6700 to 6300. No huge difference in scoring, but way more fun to play. I'll definitely be playing these tees this soggy winter. Once fairway roll returns in the spring, we will see about going back to blue.

• Like 5

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Hang in there Har! I am 65 and still playing 6500-6700 because I work out doing both cardio and lifting weights. Ya can't cheat father time but you can keep him at bay for as long as possible. And the good news is you can play into your 90's even if you have to move up tee boxes and what other sport allows you to play til you cash in your chips? 👴

That's what I want to hear. I am also busy with cardio,stretching, and strengthening exercises.  Even though, when I was testing the Ping i500's without a driver and hence moved up to the white tees, that is not where I want to stay. Is that my ego speaking? 

• Like 2

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut