TESTERS WANTED! ×

I'm moving up a tee or two

Mr. 82

I've pretty much played from the white tees all my life.  Occasionally we might play a hole from the blue/black just for fun, but never a complete round. I see way too many folks on courses playing from blue and black that have no business doing so.  Unless you're a low single digit handicap player, you should be playing white or closer. Certainly part of this is male ego/brawn replacing common sense. But I think some of it is due to pretty significant shifts in driver technology and increased distance (I'm going back to Persimmon days). The problem with most of those playing from the back tees is that they have to follow up the drives with that part of the game that requires considerably more skill.  Big drives followed up with duffs and worm-burners is entertaining... for a few holes anyway.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

12 hours ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

Ancil Hoffman GC is the current weekly stroll location.

I played both Haggin Oaks and Ancil Hoffman lots of times during my teens and while in college.  My Dad played these regularly with guys from work and when they were short a player, they ask me to fill in - great memories.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Our weekly game has players from the White tees(6,000 yds) and Gold(5,500 yds). The Gold is for players 65 and older. When on vacation @ Hilton Head Island, we play somewhere between 5,000 and 5,700 yds because we wanna enjoy the game.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I see way too many folks on courses playing from blue and black that have no business doing so.  Unless you're a low single digit handicap player, you should be playing white or closer. Certainly part of this is male ego/brawn replacing common sense.

A very large part, IMHO.

Sidebar:
I've often experienced guys in carts playing back and playing slower than my wife and I walking and playing forward.

I well remember one of my first lessons when the instructor said:
"200 in the fairway beats 250 in the woods."

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

... I think I posted this before but I think it is a good story about tee boxes. I was paired up with 3 Indian gentlemen in their late 60's that played Encino's back tees at 6933. None of them broke 125 and 2 of them were probably closer to 150. But they played fast, kept up and we still waited on every tee. I was playing the next tees up at 6564 and after 9 holes I asked them why they were playing the back tees. They told me they were trying to "maximize their dollar value" and that I paid twice as much to play as they did. LOL, I told them I paid the exact same price they did but they insisted I was paying about 50 cents a shot and they were only paying about 20 cents a shot so I was paying MUCH more. 🤣

... They admitted they were bad gofers and the only way to improve is to hit as many shots as possible. They were very aware of time and often hit too quickly negating the effect of hitting more shots. But they were a real joy to play with, very pleasant company, always respected my shots and never moved or distracted me when I was getting ready to hit, although they did not afford each other that courtesy. I started off thinking these guys were a nightmare and finished thinking it was one of the most enjoyable rounds of golf I have ever experienced.  I eagled the last hole for a 69 and they had never played with anyone that shot near let alone under par and one of them gave me his lucky coin to remember the day I shared with them.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

nice story @chisag 

Reminds me of when I hosted 3 Americans at Gleneagles who had played about 5 minutes of golf in their life!

It started with a plethora of fresh air shots, thins, duffs and lots of cursing.........3 off them had about 25 shots each on the 1st.

I thought "what the **** have I let myself in for" but they moved fast, didnt get angry, we had good conversations and they thoroughly enjoyed the experience. So did I after about the 8th as we kept moving along at a nice pace and never held anyone up.

I've played with scratch golfers that took an eternity to play and hardly spoke a word all the way round. I know what I preferred 😉 

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

8 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

nice story @chisag 

Reminds me of when I hosted 3 Americans at Gleneagles who had played about 5 minutes of golf in their life!

It started with a plethora of fresh air shots, thins, duffs and lots of cursing.........3 off them had about 25 shots each on the 1st.

I thought "what the **** have I let myself in for" but they moved fast, didnt get angry, we had good conversations and they thoroughly enjoyed the experience. So did I after about the 8th as we kept moving along at a nice pace and never held anyone up.

I've played with scratch golfers that took an eternity to play and hardly spoke a word all the way round. I know what I preferred 😉 

Reminds me some of tournament golf.  We played with two nice teenagers on Friday that didn't say much and hit the snot out of it.  Beat us by some 12 strokes.  They played kinda slow and we dragged along waiting for them to hit the next shot.

The next day we were paired with two other teams that scored about like we did the day before.  Because we all knew we were all out of it, the jokes started flying on about the 3rd hole, and every misshit and crappy shot was met with laughter and shoulder shrugs.  The funniest hole of the day was on a closing par 5, where one guy literally topped his ball about 30 yards off the tee.  It was alternate shot, so he didn't have to hit again until after his partner bailed him out into the fairway.  He pulls his next club for the next shot and did something I've never seen before.  He topped the ball with backspin, and it literally went 5 yards BACKWARDS!  The entire group was so out of it by then that we all bust out laughing something fierce.  The guy that hit the shot just bent over in laughter and sort of just shrugged his shoulders.  Man what a day though, as we had the most fun playing that round.  And I won't get into the conversations we had about "swing lube."  LOL.  Good times!

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I’m 37, “can” hit driver 300 (at times) and I play the whites because I know my game and know it’s more fun. I’m not good enough to play the blues and be content afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

In My neck of the woods, Most courses typically have 3 sets of tee, Maybe 4. Red ( ladies, typically) White ( mens), Blue or Black, and championship ( if they have them).. I play the whites, which i have since I started. I have played further back and also closer.. Red create a problem as more hazzards come into play. and further back some forced carries and longer Par 3's can't be reached.. @GSwag I am with you.. I would rather play for the enjoyment, rather than my ego.. AT 50 myself it is humbling that there are times we can no longer accomplish what we once could.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

On 12/13/2018 at 11:58 AM, chisag said:

... I think I posted this before but I think it is a good story about tee boxes. I was paired up with 3 Indian gentlemen in their late 60's that played Encino's back tees at 6933. None of them broke 125 and 2 of them were probably closer to 150. But they played fast, kept up and we still waited on every tee. I was playing the next tees up at 6564 and after 9 holes I asked them why they were playing the back tees. They told me they were trying to "maximize their dollar value" and that I paid twice as much to play as they did. LOL,

... They admitted they were bad gofers and the only way to improve is to hit as many shots as possible. They were very aware of time and often hit too quickly negating the effect of hitting more shots. But they were a real joy to play with, very pleasant company, always respected my shots and never moved or distracted me when I was getting ready to hit, although they did not afford each other that courtesy. I started off thinking these guys were a nightmare and finished thinking it was one of the most enjoyable rounds of golf I have ever experienced.  I eagled the last hole for a 69 and they had never played with anyone that shot near let alone under par and one of them gave me his lucky coin to remember the day I shared with them.

😄😄

We want to make sure we experience the full 7000 yards. It's the Indian nature in us to get the most out of everything.

I'll tell you a story of what my mom used to do when we were little. When the shampoo bottle was nearly empty, mom would put water in it. And not tell us..so when we went to use...open up the cap, put out our hand out and turn the bottle completely upside down and expecting it to take a few seconds to come out, it would come gushing out and now the bottle is empty.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

We want to make sure we experience the full 7000 yards.

Sure, but....... Are you also counting all the side-to-side (ie. "military golf": right-left, right-...)??

See: even if I play the forward tees at 5000 I'm pretty sure I'm getting at least 7000 in!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

25 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Sure, but....... Are you also counting all the side-to-side (ie. "military golf": right-left, right-...)??

See: even if I play the forward tees at 5000 I'm pretty sure I'm getting at least 7000 in!
emoji38.pngemoji38.pngemoji38.png

And if you were playing my course, those shots right and left of the fairway would be uphill and downhill steps, so that's extra.  😉

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 12/13/2018 at 11:22 AM, GSwag said:

He pulls his next club for the next shot and did something I've never seen before.  He topped the ball with backspin, and it literally went 5 yards BACKWARDS!  The entire group was so out of it by then that we all bust out laughing something fierce. 

I Know this feeling.. A few years ago in league im in the 2nd group to Tee off out of 4 so all of us (except The first group which was 3 ) are at the tee. Being curtious we all give respect to the group on the tee, watch, and give encouragement, and heckle of course.. 

I'm second to tee off, couple practice swings, step in and promptly top the ball it hits 6" in front of the tee and goes backwards almost 10 yds... How humiliating.. But now I have to hit #2, after everyone backs up I lace one down the middle about 240 leaving myself about 105 in stick and make par... I go on to have a nice solid round. It took a long time to live that one down.. the only saving grace was i played well.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Regional scratch competition and I'd waited about an hour near the tee for my tee time.

Called at last and proceeded to top my tee shot which ran forward 10 yds to the end of the tee which had a narrow shallow groove cut around the tee. I walked forward with a bright red face to play it and the starter announced that 'groove' was out of bounds!

Teed up again and skittered one 100 yds along the rough, face went redder........😒

I wonder why I play this game sometimes 😂

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in my “upper” mid 40’s :), I’m playing white 100% of the time on the public courses oh I’m also a 2 handicap.  I do play from all tees at my club. I’m not a short hitter my avg drive is a little north of 250, 235 carry.

It’s more challenging playing from the white with my distance off the tees than from the blue. Usually my landing area is just pass the fattest part of the fairway. Sure it’s closer to the green but by no mean easier. I’m more accurate with my Woods and hybrids than my mid irons.  My score at the club are almost identical from the red, white or blue, so it’s not really the difference in distance.  If it is we would all shoot par or under at the local par 3 course or pitch&putts, we don’t, instead we shoot the same darn score.

I do that for a couple of reason but mainly because I’m sick and tired of playing with some players that had no business playing anything but the most forward tees, yet insist on playing from the tip. Next is the fact that there nothing to aim for in the middle of a fairway. Obstacles are, like it or not, excellent visual targets. 

The tee you are playing is not an indication of your skills and how you would score. Try it on your home course, the one you know so well, you’ll be surprised even at a 1000 yard shorter, you won’t all of the sudden drop 10 shots. That’s not how golf work? That said hitting more fairways and greens by being closer to the greens can slowly conditioned your mind that you should be doing this all the time, next thing you know you may start to shoot low(er) score. 

Golf still is, for the most part and for most people, a mental game and not the physical game.  Even if I can grant you 50 extra yards off the tee, you’d still be shooting about the same score tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, Rusty1885 said:

I’m in my “upper” mid 40’s :), I’m playing white 100% of the time on the public courses oh I’m also a 2 handicap.  I do play from all tees at my club. I’m not a short hitter my avg drive is a little north of 250, 235 carry.

It’s more challenging playing from the white with my distance off the tees than from the blue. Usually my landing area is just pass the fattest part of the fairway. Sure it’s closer to the green but by no mean easier. I’m more accurate with my Woods and hybrids than my mid irons.  My score at the club are almost identical from the red, white or blue, so it’s not really the difference in distance.  If it is we would all shoot par or under at the local par 3 course or pitch&putts, we don’t, instead we shoot the same darn score.

I do that for a couple of reason but mainly because I’m sick and tired of playing with some players that had no business playing anything but the most forward tees, yet insist on playing from the tip. Next is the fact that there nothing to aim for in the middle of a fairway. Obstacles are, like it or not, excellent visual targets. 

The tee you are playing is not an indication of your skills and how you would score. Try it on your home course, the one you know so well, you’ll be surprised even at a 1000 yard shorter, you won’t all of the sudden drop 10 shots. That’s not how golf work? That said hitting more fairways and greens by being closer to the greens can slowly conditioned your mind that you should be doing this all the time, next thing you know you may start to shoot low(er) score. 

Golf still is, for the most part and for most people, a mental game and not the physical game.  Even if I can grant you 50 extra yards off the tee, you’d still be shooting about the same score tomorrow. 

I'm not sure I agree with that. I play from the blues (6400ish) and when I move up to the whites or golds, I definitely shoot lower scores. If I move up to the golds, most of the par 4's are driveable, so instead of a 50 yard wedge shot, I have a chip. I can get a lot more chips up and down than I can 50 yard wedge shots. Therefore, I shoot a lower score.

I think if you give anyone 50 extra yards off the tee, they'll shoot a lower score. 50 yards is the difference between a 4 iron and 9 iron. If you give 20 average players 50 shots with a 4 iron and 50 shots with a 9 iron, 19/20 will be closer with the 9 iron. Closer proximity to the hole equals fewer putts which, equals lower scores. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

... Scoring consists of hitting fairways that give you an opportunity to hit irons close and even then you have to make the putt. Not much difference between hitting a drive in the first cut, then a mid/long iron from 180 to the fringe, chipping close and making a putt for par OR hitting it in the fairway, then a short iron from 125 to 11' and 2 putting for par. So I think Rusty is not too far off in saying he scores the same from either tee because he is a good ball striker with a solid game and for him it just comes down to how close does he hit his approach shots and how many putts does he make and moving up one tee box isn't a guarantee of doing either significantly better. 

... While hitting a 7 iron or moving up a tee box and hitting a 9 iron over 20 rounds will make a difference, on any given day they can easily produce the same scores. But hitting a hybrid/5 iron after teeing off from longer tees or moving up and hitting a 7 iron can make a pretty immediate change in your scores. Because for most, moving up means they are playing the course the way it was designed to be played, using the correct clubs on any given hole. I play a long 435yd par 4 that is uphill all the way and into the prevailing wind so often I have to hit anything from a 3 wood to a long iron with a deep bunker on the left which usually only snags better players mis hits but the front is wide open to run the ball onto the green and the right side is a grass bunker that is easier for high index players to have a chance at an up and down.

... Contrast that with a shorter 340 yd par 4 with a deep bunker guarding the entire front of the green. Having to hit a hybrid on that hole is just not the way it was designed to be played and moving up to the white tees at 315 can mean hitting a 7 iron and avoiding the very penal bunker. So for any given golfer, moving up a tee box may or may not make a marked difference, but again for most it will mean lower scores and a more enjoyable round. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 12/29/2018 at 8:21 AM, GB13 said:

I'm not sure I agree with that. I play from the blues (6400ish) and when I move up to the whites or golds, I definitely shoot lower scores. If I move up to the golds, most of the par 4's are driveable, so instead of a 50 yard wedge shot, I have a chip. I can get a lot more chips up and down than I can 50 yard wedge shots. Therefore, I shoot a lower score.

I think if you give anyone 50 extra yards off the tee, they'll shoot a lower score. 50 yards is the difference between a 4 iron and 9 iron. If you give 20 average players 50 shots with a 4 iron and 50 shots with a 9 iron, 19/20 will be closer with the 9 iron. Closer proximity to the hole equals fewer putts which, equals lower scores. 

It bakes the question, if you play from forward tees and shoot lower scores why not play from there all the time. Dropping 2 strokes a side you’d be a scratch.  If that what it takes to be a scratch I’ll start playing from the red tees tomorrow. The ability to shoot lower score on each hole do transfer from shorter distance to longer distance. Not usually the other way around, I’ll explain below.

Yes, in theory and in the long run, or one or two rounds moving closer would not automatically drops your shots and in turn your handicap. I’ll stick with s simple handicap math. You are a 4 handicap and should be shooting about 4 over par on your home course from the blue.  Sure you’d have more chances at par or better but can you then pull it off each time, probably not.

Moving forward to the white or gold, you would not start shooting par every time you play forward. Eventually you will for the reasons you listed above. That I agree. Mere mortals like most of us can’t simply breakthrough the scoring comfort zone overnight, one or two or even a short stretch of rounds, sure, but to drop strokes permanently takes longer than that much longer. We have to be mentally ready to start shooting lower scores not til you have the “I own it” attitude.  It it’s that easy it wouldn’t be Golf. 

I also agree that moving up would make for a more enjoyable round and healthy boost of confidence and that’s the most important aspect of golf.  Confidence is also highly contagious.  

One of the reason the play forward is the ability to use more clubs not just a driver and wood of every hole for many blue swingers.

6 hours ago, Rusty1885 said:

It bakes the question, if you play from forward tees and shoot lower scores why not play from there all the time. Dropping 2 strokes a side you’d be a scratch.  If that what it takes to be a scratch I’ll start playing from the red tees tomorrow. 

Here's the thing.  GB13 mentioned something about 50 yards a hole.  I know its a simplification, but that would equate to about 900 yards difference in the tees.  The difference in Course Rating, for tees separated by 900 yards, is likely to be 4 or maybe 5 strokes.  If you drop 2 strokes a side, 4 per round, you'd have the same handicap.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Archived