Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Half-Marathon Training

Gents and Ladies

The running bug has hit me and i decided to say to hell with the leg, stop making excuses and "Just Do it". I have always HATED, HATED, HATED running with every inch of me. But since i have dropped 30 pounds, my love for running has improved greatly.

So, i found a half marathon guide on www.runnersworld.com and am following that as we speak. Started day 1 today.

Any running tips? I know stride and arm swing are important as well as posture...but anything anyone has learned or good sites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

when is your 1/2?? I am looking at a full on May 1st, and training starts Dec 26. Should be fun.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Great for you, as you train listen to your body. Running can cause injury so if on any given day you can't do your training let your body rest. You can still keep up your workout with biking, swimming, or yoga as your running body recovers. Obviously, diet is huge. I'd recommend going all out and sticking with a fairly strict routine (anything worth doing is worth doing right) but that is up to you. Make sure you have enough good carbs for your workouts.

Have fun with it, it's awesome you lost 30 lbs and are doing the 1/2. You don't want to spoil that with ruining the fun of workout out or reaching your goals. If it becomes a chore, take a few days off and do another workout, if you continue to run when you don't like it you are basically reinforcing bad behavior and as soon as your 1/2 is over motivation to continue could be very hard.

Good Luck!

when is your 1/2?? I am looking at a full on May 1st, and training starts Dec 26. Should be fun.

March 3rd, Red Rock Canyon in vegas. Its almost like the scenic drive was set up for a half as it is 13 miles.

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

March 3rd, Red Rock Canyon in vegas. Its almost like the scenic drive was set up for a half as it is 13 miles.

Sounds like a ton of fun. If it all goes well, you should shoot for the Vegas Full in Dec. Get to run right down the strip. That just might make it onto my calendar this year...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Sounds like a ton of fun. If it all goes well, you should shoot for the Vegas Full in Dec. Get to run right down the strip. That just might make it onto my calendar this year...

thats the plan....im debating either vegas full or San Diego....but my eyes are only on the half marathon prize right now. Have 4 miles tonight, then 7 on sat and a 5K on sunday.

I love the feeling after a run over 3 miles

My only real good advice is to do your long runs slow!!!! and I mean really slow. The slower the better. It is more about time on your feet than miles.

Good point Nic, made me think of something else: When I ran the Chicago Marathon a couple years ago, I started in the group that was 2 groups BEHIND where I actually wanted to be pace-wise (I didn't want to be in the way, first marathon and all). I was getting passed left and right for the first two miles and I assumed I was running way behind pace. Got to the time check point and found out that I ran the first two miles a full minute UNDER the pace I was grouped with. Lesson: Everyone starts WAY too fast because they're hyped on adrenaline. Fight this as hard as you can. Soooo many people were taking the "I quit" bus after the 5 mile mark because they went out way too fast. And because it was a million degrees that year.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 4 weeks later...

continuing to make adequate progress, unfortunately i have a PT test friday, so i have been more focused on that. The test consists of running 1.5 miles as fast as you can. Still been doing the longer ones but more or less keeping it around 3 miles where the first 1.5 i go relatively fast then slow it down. Thanksfully, my sat run can be a good one and solely concentrate on the 13 miles ahead of me.

Also started reading this book called chi running which is about running from your core with a slight forward lean and not so much about running with your legs, which the author refers to as "power running". So far this method seems to be very sound as i dont find my legs are all that sore after running 3 or 4 miles. They only get slightly sore around 6-7 miles and that is more my feet than anything from being on them pounding for an hour or a touch more.

• 1 month later...

After running cross country for for years and track for three, I've learned that you cannot under any circumstances take the first third of your race too fast. The place to kick it is in the last part of the race. Also, make sure you have training shoes and racing shoes if you really want to get serious about improving your time. Also make sure that the shoes that you're wearing fit you. Just like golf, if the equipment you're using doesn't fit you, you're gonna be at a disadvantage. You can also make sure to take longer strides. Short strides do nothing to help. If I run a race as fast as another person and have a longer stride, technically, I am taking less steps and using less energy which can help if you want to kick it hard the last 100-200 meters or so.

Hopefully that will help and good luck on your race

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

• 1 month later...

Archived