Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Family Golf Memories

fozcycle

Here’s a pic of my Grandfather, Tom Moss, and the 1st ever Juniper Hills Municipal Golf Course tournament committee. Juniper Hills opened in 1958, Frankfort, KY. Tom is on far left, second row.....

That was when he made me his caddie and I started learning the game. That was 60 years ago! Have you got any old memories? PST them here and share.

file-44DE21E4-A3FF-4EDA-8FA6-D059576CB2E0-21849-00000F5ECCDA582C.jpg.0f28dfef00b0edaac77a0ca8fd14f70d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Great post, Foz!

I don't have old golf memories, but I'm making mine now.

post-58668-152795841839.jpeg

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

That's really good. I like old retro photos as we now call them. I especially liked the last line in the caption, 

First Tournament date was set for May 16-18, an 18-hole medal play using April handicap, or last year's handicap.

Or whatever. LOL See... sandbagging ain't nothing new.  😉

Good post Foz!!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

That's cool, Foz!

My main family golf memories are playing in Hawaii and the Outer Banks with my dad. I didn't get much of a chance to play with him because the summer I picked up the game was the same summer I moved to the midwest for grad school.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

That's really good. I like old retro photos as we now call them. I especially liked the last line in the caption, 
First Tournament date was set for May 16-18, an 18-hole medal play using April handicap, or last year's handicap.
Or whatever. LOL See... sandbagging ain't nothing new.  
Good post Foz!!

Remember PJ, the year was 1958 and this was the year they opened. I started pulling a BagBoy that year for my Grandfather.

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Well, if you want to go down memory lane, a few years ago I compiled a book for my Dad of his life in golf.  With his time working for TWA and Marriott, my Dad got more then his fair share of perks, golf wise.  I'll post these pics, and then see if I can give you some of the details that I can recall.

That's my Dad when he was about 14, with his first set of golf clubs.  Doing the math, Dad was born in 34, so this is 1948'ish.

dadgolf001.jpg

This is Dad at Fort Bragg with an Army buddy.  Probably on their way to the course, or just returning from.  1956'ish?

dadgolf005.jpg

More from Fort Bragg.  Some Army officer and my Dad.

dadgolf006.jpg

A TWA junket in this pic.  My Dad played in the pro-am of that tournament.  One of those guys is the pro, but I'd have to look it up to know who it is.

dadgolf007.jpg

This one is at Doral in Miami.  My Dad spent the entire 1980's working for Marriott, who was a major sponsor of the Doral tour stop at the time.

dadgolf009.jpg

Probably another Doral pro-am.  Again, I'd have to look this up.

dadgolf010.jpg

Same deal - Doral pro-am.

dadgolf011.jpg

This one is from when my Dad worked for TWA in New York.  The dude on the left played for the New York Jets at the time.  I have it written down there somewhere who that is, and my Dad could tell you.  My Dad hosted a lot of pro sports stuff like this with pro athletes while in New York, working for TWA.  Most of his stories are about parties, getting drunk and the like while working for TWA and schmoozing with athletes and celebrities, like Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon.

dadgolf013.jpg

January of 1977.  That's Jack Nicklaus teeing off on the 4th hole of the Country Club of Miami, West Course.  The screened in pool behind those two guys in yellow hats is my house.  I used to come home from school, grab my clubs, and walk out back and play 3 or 5 holes, depending on the day.  Nicklaus was in Miami for a National Airlines charity event.  Unlike today, where if Tiger showed up there would be 50,000 people going nuts, back then you could walk right up to players like Nicklaus and talk to them, while only 20 or so people followed him.  I should know, because I caught up to Jack on the 9th tee, and right after he hit his drive I shouted out and asked him if I could have his autograph.  Jack stopped dead in his tracks, turned around and signed my notebook.  I was 9 years old at the time, wearing a cub scout uniform.  I was too naive to know you didn't do that sort of thing on the golf course, but Jack couldn't have been nicer.

dadgolf014.jpg

TWA had my Dad play in some LPGA pro-am in South Florida.  Again, I don't know who the women are, but I have it written down somewhere.

dadgolf015.jpg

Another pro-am in Miami, probably for Doral.  The tall guy may have won the Masters?  Again, I'd have to look it up.

dadgolf016.jpg

Another Doral pro-am, this time with Tom Kite.  I met Kite years later in North Carolina, while volunteering at a Champions Tour event.  He's kind of an ass if you want my honest opinion.  Maybe that's why my Dad isn't smiling in this pic.  A reflection of Tom Kite's personality.

dadgolf018.jpg

My Dad with Ray Floyd at Doral.  Again, I never met Floyd, but maybe my Dad not smiling tells you something about Floyd's personality.

dadgolf019.jpg

Another Doral pro-am?  I'd have to look it up.

dadgolf022.jpg

This one is May of 2005, when me, my Dad, my brothers Rick and Mike (L-R) all met up in Myrtle Beach for a long golf weekend.  We played 6 rounds of golf, starting Thursday afternoon, and ending Sunday morning.  Courses played were The Witch, Man O'War, Wild Wing Plantation Avocet, Falcon, and Hummingbird, and Myrtle Beach National.  We'd play 36 a day, and then go back to the hotel at night and drink and play poker.  Good times!

100_06851.jpg

This is from April of 2010, from our trip to Prattville, AL on the RTJ Golf Trail.  We played all three courses over a long weekend.  The picture sucks, because the camera was facing into the sun, and well, we suck at photography.  My brother Rick, Mike, me and my Dad (L-R).

IMG_3347.JPG

This really isn't from golf, but from a TWA company picnic in New Jersey around 1974 I believe.  My older brother Mike, me, my Dad, and my younger brother Rick.  If you are wondering, the cigar was a permanent fixture in my Dad's golf game and beyond.  I grew up with the smell of cigars on the golf course.  Frankly, I think I play better smelling that then I do without.  I've never been interested in smoking them myself, but if you play golf and smoke cigars, it's like me going back to my childhood.  Good times!

Woeckener Boys.jpg

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

2 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Remember PJ, the year was 1958 and this was the year they opened. I started pulling a BagBoy that year for my Grandfather.

Yes I noticed that also. Good times no doubt. I like that several of the committee members showed up in a tie while a few others might have just rolled in off the course in time for the meeting. I like it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Lot's of great pics Gswag. Takes me back as well. My dad was a cigar chomper too. I think the guy behind the wheel of the golf cart might be Charles Coody.

I've also stood right there on the tee box of the Judge. I was in the fairway while one guy pulled it left across the boardwalk cart trail and two guys were wet right off the tee. LOL Great courses there at Capital Hill.

My entire immediate family and past all hated golf. How I took up the game and kept playing this long is beyond me

My only memories as a youth was a comment from my late grandfather. “You sure you want to play golf? What about baseball or football like the other kids”And my uncle said “ golf? That is a game for sissies” 

not good memories here 

Keep it in the short stuff

Thanks for sharing Gswag.........you have a plethora of memories.

Sorry you don’t have some old memories to share Big money, maybe you can enjoy others.

No one in my family played golf, I had the bug as far back as I can remember and everytime I tried to catch some on TV my Dad put the kabash on that. In college I finally got a set of clubs (finding used left handed clubs in the late 70's was not easy). Played a few rounds with this old gent (probably in his 70"s at the time). The thing that impressed me about his play is he never lined any shot up. He'd walk onto the tee, bend over and tee up the ball. Step back while putting the club in has hands, put it back over his head then fired in straight down the fairway everytime. Only once did I ever out drive him, his comment was "Keep doing that and people will think you play this for a living" I only regret I don't remember his name, he was a great golf companion and teacher.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

I used to "caddy" for my dad & grandfather when I was around 11 or so, I'd go out with them and just scour the treeline for balls. Then when we were out of sight of the clubhouse my dad would let me play a few holes. I thought it was about the biggest baddest crime ever 😂

When I was around 14 I hit the shot of my life (save for my single hole in one) with my grandfather, a blind shot with a 5 wood that I put 2 feet from the hole. He talked about that shot for YEARS. I wish he was still with us to keep talking about it. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Thanks for sharing Lefty and Russ......it’s stories like those that are told to our Grandkids to get them in the game. Keep it up.

I grew up in a rural setting and didn't know a single person that played golf.  I didn't have a relationship with my dad after age 8 but one of the last conversations we had, he was trying to put me down.  I asked him what sport he thought I was best at and he said "golf", as an insult.  He left, never to return a few months later.  Shortly thereafter, my mom bought me a virtually brand new full set of Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scott's at Goodwill for $35 and a bucket of shag balls from Walmart.  Turns out his "insult" has left me with a lifelong passion that has been my "therapy" for the past 30 years. 

My happiness now is watching my daughter get the same joy from the game I did, albeit from a very different place.

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

My happiness now is watching my daughter get the same joy from the game I did, albeit from a very different place.

I'm envious of this. I tried to get my daughter interested in the game, but her mother and I weren't on the same page. Which would explain why she's my Ex!!!

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

Spending every summer morning on the course with my grandfather and my grandmother from age 2 until I graduated high school. I went from learning the game to trying to beat them to playing the back tees and giving them 7 a side. They taught me a lot about life growing up and damn glad they gave me a game to last a lifetime. I am now fortunate to pass that onto my children and making memories of our own.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Archived