Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Vokey Offers Custom Tour Grind Options To The Public

Golfspy_CG2

This is pretty cool, and I'm sure we'll get some saying $260 plus for a wedge is ridiculously expensive, but again, it's not being force on anyone, it's an option that has in the past only  been available to the most elite players in the world, that is now available to anyone wanting to buy the service. 

Press Release:

Master Craftsman Bob Vokey is now offering the tour grinding experience to all golfers through the introduction of the new HandGround program on Vokey.com. 

For golfers seeking tour-level customizations such as additional heel relief, a squared up leading edge, or Bob’s popular tour grind, the HandGround program is the answer. 

For the last year, Bob has personally trained two grinders on all of the performance and profile adjustments that have resulted from his more than two decades of work with the world’s best players. 

Bob’s passion for building relationships with individual players is the essence of the Vokey brand. Voke takes the time to listen to a player’s wants and, more importantly, their needs, when hitting wedge shots. He then takes this information back to the tour truck and starts grinding heads. The process can be lengthy, but when it is done right, it is worth the wait. 

Bob will oversee the entire HandGround process – located in a new workspace adjacent to the Titleist Tour Department, inside the Titleist Golf Club headquarters in Carlsbad, Calif. – and, from time to time, will also grind HandGround orders himself. 

QUOTING BOB VOKEY: “This takes me back to my roots - one player at a time, one wedge at a time, crafting the sole to the player's exact specifications.” 

HANDGROUND OPTIONS: In selecting the HandGround option – currently available on all Vokey SM7 Raw models, the preferred finish of tour players worldwide – golfers will be able to choose from a variety of performance and profile adjustments (two adjustments maximum). 

• Performance adjustments: As course conditions change, tour players make adjustments to their wedges to improve turf interaction by grinding material off the sole of the wedge. These grinds allow the player to change the wedge’s playing characteristics based on their unique swingtype and course conditions resulting in finely tuned performance. 

Performance adjustments include: 
- Pre-Worn Leading Edge 
- Smooth Grind Lines 
- Heel Relief 
- Trailing Edge Relief 

Profile adjustments: Having the right head shape inspires confidence. Voke works with tour players to dial-in the head shape that fits each player’s eye. Profile adjustments allow the golfer to design a confidence-inspiring head shape by grinding material off the profile. 

Profile adjustments include: 
- Semi-Square Leading Edge 
- Thin Top Line 
- Tour Grind (smooths all profile lines & slightly reduces profile size) 

For detailed explanations of each performance and profile adjustment, click here: https://www.vokey.com/nav/handground.aspx 

HANDGROUND SETS: With F, K and L Grind wedges, golfers also have the option to make specific grind selections:

- F Grind: Make it an S Grind. For example, golfers that prefer their 52.12 F gap wedge to have a touch more versatility greenside may enjoy this option. 
- K Grind: Make it a J Grind (Heel & trailing edge relief) 
- L Grind: Make it an A Grind (Smooth the grind lines) 

ON THE WEB: https://www.vokey.com/nav/handground.aspx 

AVAILABILITY: HandGround wedges are now available on all SM7 Raw models through Vokey.com. SM7 Raw wedges – including BV Wings grip and 10-character stamping – start at $195. There is an additional $75 charge for HandGround services. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I saw a notice about this last night. I think it’s pretty neat and to know bob is involved in the process with the training and oversight and potentially some of the work is cool.

its not something I’m interested in but for those who go that route it’s a sweet offering to get that type of detail setup

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

That's an interesting bit of information GC2. However... I'll be sticking with my lowly Amateur grinds. I don't think I would be able to tell ole Bob how I'd like my wedge ground**. I also doubt many pros could either. Now, if I were to have Bob come provide a fitting at my course and on the turf I normally play while hitting a variety of shots; he then might suggest a certain grind here and there on various wedges. Pros or "elite" players don't have some magical sense where they know instinctively that they need 1/16" taken off the heel or a slight factional bevel taken off the leading edge. It's done through trial and error and fitting per se'. 

None the less.... a good read GC.

** nothing unusual - but I enjoy the easing of the heel in my Wishon wedges. They're not something I specified; they're just built that way. Allows opening the face while keep the face square.  Many other wedges offer the same.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Cool!!! More options in the market for e others to follow suit, and long-run, maybe decreased pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

32 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

That's an interesting bit of information GC2. However... I'll be sticking with my lowly Amateur grinds. I don't think I would be able to tell ole Bob how I'd like my wedge ground**. I also doubt many pros could either. Now, if I were to have Bob come provide a fitting at my course and on the turf I normally play while hitting a variety of shots; he then might suggest a certain grind here and there on various wedges. Pros or "elite" players don't have some magical sense where they know instinctively that they need 1/16" taken off the heel or a slight factional bevel taken off the leading edge. It's done through trial and error and fitting per se'. 

None the less.... a good read GC.

** nothing unusual - but I enjoy the easing of the heel in my Wishon wedges. They're not something I specified; they're just built that way. Allows opening the face while keep the face square.  Many other wedges offer the same.

yeah, no doubt it's such a personal and varied thing to be fit for wedges.  it's not like ok, you're this swing speed, we'll put you in this shaft and head.   As you mention the Turf that you play on, the way your swing interacts with it etc.  Heck, I used to be able to tell a fitter or instructor that I had a very steep swing.  But I'm not so sure that's the case anymore.    I think they definitely need to be able to see it and judge for themselves especially on these short game touch and feel shots. 

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

yeah, no doubt it's such a personal and varied thing to be fit for wedges.  it's not like ok, you're this swing speed, we'll put you in this shaft and head.   As you mention the Turf that you play on, the way your swing interacts with it etc.  Heck, I used to be able to tell a fitter or instructor that I had a very steep swing.  But I'm not so sure that's the case anymore.    I think they definitely need to be able to see it and judge for themselves especially on these short game touch and feel shots. 

Yeah, I know I have a steep swing and need either a stiff or x stiff shaft, but I don't tell the fitter that. I don't want to give them any bias or make it so they can fake their way through the fitting. They need to be able to judge for themselves. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

4 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I'm sure we'll get some saying $260 plus for a wedge is ridiculously expensive

I'm not going to be that guy, not entirely. People can buy what they wish, and I don't begrudge either them or Bob Vokey for catering to that market.

It's just difficult for me to wrap my mind around the idea of a price like this for the clubs in your bag that is most likely to experience performance loss due to wear and tear. The guy whose interested in a handground wedge, I'd assume, is the same guy who's swapping out wedges twice a year to keep his spin rates up. That'll add up in a hurry 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I'm not going to be that guy, not entirely. People can buy what they wish, and I don't begrudge either them or Bob Vokey for catering to that market.
It's just difficult for me to wrap my mind around the idea of a price like this for the clubs in your bag that is most likely to experience performance loss due to wear and tear. The guy whose interested in a handground wedge, I'd assume, is the same guy who's swapping out wedges twice a year to keep his spin rates up. That'll add up in a hurry

Yeah. .although I think I heard Roger Cleveland say once the average player is not going to wear wedge grooves out in a year, or two or even three. He'd have to practice from the sand hours a day multiple times a week and most regular players practice bunker play a couple times a year if that.

Or another way to look at it. Someone who doesn't hit a lot of greens so wedge play becomes their strength if they want to maintain a halfway decent score.

Does that sound like justification

Yeah. .although I think I heard Roger Cleveland say once the average player is not going to wear wedge grooves out in a year, or two or even three. He'd have to practice from the sand hours a day multiple times a week and most regular players practice bunker play a couple times a year if that.

Or another way to look at it. Someone who doesn't hit a lot of greens so wedge play becomes their strength if they want to maintain a halfway decent score.

Does that sound like justification

I like wedges... like a lot. Practiced a lot. At least a hour a day all summer, sometimes 2-3 hours with just Wedges. I wore my Taylormade wedges out in 2 years to the point where I could “see and feel” the performance drop off, but even then they still did the job, just didn’t bite as hard on the first contact.

These could be a good investment for Vokey fans that want some customization. Heck, I might give one a try.

I also see this becoming a “thing”. People are all about having the ‘It’ factor and most of your average golf buddies won’t have these, so if being ahead of the Joneses is your thing... have you ordered yet?

Good concept for consumers to get their hands on some cool stuff. Vanilla becomes more vanilla when you can get your hands on some Chunky Monkey.

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Does that sound like justification emoji12.png

I had a TM sponsored coach tell me Rose swaps every 1000 shots. Even with proactive I’m not sure I hit each wedge that much in a year or more

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I like wedges... like a lot. Practiced a lot. At least a hour a day all summer, sometimes 2-3 hours with just Wedges. I wore my Taylormade wedges out in 2 years to the point where I could “see and feel” the performance drop off, but even then they still did the job, just didn’t bite as hard on the first contact.

These could be a good investment for Vokey fans that want some customization. Heck, I might give one a try.

I also see this becoming a “thing”. People are all about having the ‘It’ factor and most of your average golf buddies won’t have these, so if being ahead of the Joneses is your thing... have you ordered yet?

Good concept for consumers to get their hands on some cool stuff. Vanilla becomes more vanilla when you can get your hands on some Chunky Monkey.

And we all know your not normal. I mean in your level of practice.

But yeah. That seems to coincide with what he said. And I totally agree about it could become a thing. I mean it's not cheap. Almost $600 for a set of 3. But price and value are relative.

Archived