TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Golf objectives

tony@CIC

On 12/18/2018 at 4:47 PM, romeopapazulu said:

I don't think I've ever put together formal goals, so thanks for putting this thread out!

• I bet I could shave a few putting strokes off most rounds.  I am going to hit the birdieball green hard this winter and get that 3-10 ft. make percentage up.
  • This putting work should help me get on track to a sub 5 hdcp.
  • I three-putt parred a par 5 on the 17th hole and ended up with a 73 this year.  I want to hit that 72 number at least once next year.
  •  I need to get out on the range and/or course next year.  I could get a range pass.  Or there is a par 3 foursome ten round punch pass for taking the fam out this summer that would come to 5 bucks a person to walk nine holes.  I only did this a few times this year, but loved watching the boys try so hard for some pars.  There is also a $200 player pass that lets me walk 9 or 18 for $9.  I haven't played the same course more than three times a season for seven years.  This pass is good at the course closest to me and another 27 hole course. The group I play with plays all over, but if I could get my money's worth out of this, I bet the course knowledge would be worth a couple of strokes by the end of the year, getting me all that much closer to the big 72.

I just did the math on what I need to accomplish #2 above.  The prognosis is not good.  The course nearest me with the players pass has a rating of only 68.1.  So even if I shoot 20 rounds of 75, I will not get to a 5.something.  

New goal: spend 10 hours practicing Aimpoint.  I think I reverse engineered this from the sparse youtube videos available.  I think with a digital torpedo level and a fistful of fingers I can significantly improve my green reading.  Put some perfect reads together with a stroke that puts (putts?) the ball on line every time and a whole bunch of lucky bounces and I might have a chance.

I'll have my eyes on Bryson's every putt next year to squeeze another half a stroke from the pin (or without the pin).

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

My goal for the coming year is to break 100 more consistently. I've played this game for over twenty years, but it's always been a casual relationship at best. Since finding this site, I've been more motivated to improve. My game plan is:

1. Focus on putting. This is the weakest part of my game, according to Arccos I'm averaging about forty putts a round.

2. Continue my SuperSpeed training. I need the extra distance to give myself better shots at the green in regulation.

3. Short game, short game, and more short game. If I can't reach the green, I need to be able to land these shots closer to the pin.

4. Play smarter. I started playing in the 90's when "Grip it and Rip it" was cool. I never had the distance to do this, but the mentality stuck with me. I need to determine when it's ok to go all out and when to play it safe. I'm hoping by adding distance with SuperSpeed that I'll feel more confident taking lesser club off the tee.

5. Get fit for a new driver. This is the agreed upon reward between me and my wife for doing the SuperSpeed training.

Most of all, I want to enjoy this game to my fullest extent. Life is so crazy that sometimes it's easy to forget the little things that make it so great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Just to play more. I barely got out at all last year and it was really frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Mine are to play and more importantly practice more. I'm lucky to live on a resort with a range and course while I am at work and need to take more advantage of that. I want to hit a single figure handicap this year. 

Ping G400 MAX 9*, Ping G 3 Wood, TM Aeroburner 4 Hybrid, 4- PW Ping I200, Vokey SM6  50, 54, 58, Cameron & Crown M2 Mallet.

So 2018 was pretty epic for me.  Well from March 2018 (after recovering from prostate surgery) to October 2018 (when my left hand started hurting so much I couldn't play), it was pretty epic.  It'll take quite a bit for 2019 to measure up.  The hand is feeling good enough to hit balls on the Trackman, so hopefully I'm back in the game.

My main skill goal this year is to continue to work on the swing change my teacher and I started on.  It's weird to see the ball curve left to right after 35 years of hitting a hook, but it should eliminate the giant two-way miss that I have when I'm not swinging well.

My non-skill goal is to play some rounds with fellow spies.  It killed me to miss the DMV meetup.

But the most important thing is to really help my little one work on her game.  Her middle school has a team, and she really wants to be the first girl to make it.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

My plan for the next year is to work on the process, and let the results look after themselves.

First step is to dial in my new bag through regular on course practice and chipping and partial wedge work.

Subtle setup changes will be reinforced with range sessions.

Hoping to upgrade fairways and hybrid if I can find the right clubs for the right price.

Mostly, my aim is to have fun playing the game I love.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Same main goal as always-play more than the previous year, which I have not accomplished since I was in my early 30's!

Take lessons from 1 PGA pro- Last year I took 5 clinics all taught by different people leading to more confusion than improvement

Go to the practice area no longer than 2-3 days after the lesson to practice what I learned

Go back to  putting right handed

Take the wife on 2 golf weekends

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

On 12/13/2018 at 7:01 PM, blackngold_blood said:

Congrats on breaking 90!  

As far as goals for me this coming year, I am not sure where to start yet.  For the last 5 years or so my main goal was to break 80.  Well it finally happened this year and now I am left a little unsure what goals to set.  I like to make them hard enough to have to work at but achievable so breaking 70 is out of the question.  As I am typing this I think on goal will have to be to shoot par for 9 holes, whether that is the front or back 9 doesn't matter.  Gonna have to do some thinking on this one.

So after some thought I have come up with a couple goals for 2019.

1.  Play more!  I am going to be getting a membership to my local course for $256/year.  Hopefully this will allow me to get out a couple times a week after work as well as more weekends.

2.  Break Par for 9 holes, whether that is the front 9 or back 9.  Hopefully #1 will help with this one.  I have been close with a 37 but always fell apart on the last couple holes.

3.  Play all year with the same clubs.  This one will be difficult but I think I can get it done.  Currently I have some Adams XTD A Tour irons 4-GW, a Nike Method Mod 60 putter, and 2 off brand wedges that I just seem to like.  Will be looking for a new Driver (Yellow F9 more than likely) and a new HL 3 wood.

4.  Break 80 more.  I happen to finally do it this year and will be attempting to do it again.  Hopefully more often!

5.  This is the most important one.  After winning the Fantasy Football League this year and receiving the golden ticket, I am hoping to do the MGS Community proud with a review that is helpful and worthy to be posted on this amazing Forum.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Just had shoulder surgery, so looking to get out on the course by March....
1.) Dial in the wedges. I need to get a solid look at par when I miss greens.
2.) Work on lag putts. 3 putts can kill my rounds.
Other than that I feel pretty good about my game. Currently a 5 hcp but that’s due to the issues stated above.
Cheers Gents!

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

... I have shot a 66 three times in my life and I turn 66 in March, so my goal is to shoot my age in 2019. If I manage to pull it off, the goal becomes shoot under my age ... but one step at a time. 😜

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Goals for 2019:

Ended the 2018 year with a 15 handicap. I would love to possibly get down to 10 or single digits.

Plans to do so:

Get some fittings done. Need to be fit for irons, wedges, putter and depending on irons, also a hybrid. Those are all off the rack right now.

Work on flexibility and grip (way too strong) by using a swing trainer (undecided so far. Super Speed or Orange whip) and general stretching and fitness. Plan to drop 30lbs this year.

Go to the range at least once a week or every other week. Currently go to the range maybe once a month but play weekly. Not much time to improve on things that way.

If all goes well, the above should at least help my handicap drop and hopefully to 10 or below.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

10 hours ago, patrickleeleep said:

Goals for 2019:

Ended the 2018 year with a 15 handicap. I would love to possibly get down to 10 or single digits.

Plans to do so:

Work on grip (way too strong) by using a swing trainer (undecided so far. Super Speed or Orange whip) and general stretching and fitness. Plan to drop 30lbs this year.

... I am not singling you out because this applies to many golfers, but this was something I found so frustrating when I taught. I had students come to me and say they didn't want to change their grip because they tried it and their game fell apart. I get it, because this is the only contact you have with the club and if you are comfortable with your grip it is extremely difficult to change.  But an improper grip will always hold you back because most of the time you will be fighting it with every single swing. I have seen players with very strong or very weak grips that play well because it matches their swing style, but it can cause consistent inconsistency if it doesn't match you swing. That is one of my personal teaching phrases every golfer should attempt to avoid at all costs "consistent inconsistency". 

... This applies to everyone as I highly recommend finding a neutral grip and if a swing trainer helps, use one! If you have been putting off changing your grip make it a priority going forward. The game is unique in we all have some to many "flaws" in our swing and we cannot fix them all at once but starting with a neutral grip will make many other problems easier to fix. Good luck on your 2019 journey!

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

That is my main focus when going to the range now. My swing and grip heavily de-loft the club creating horrible launch conditions. When I do swing with a more neutral grip I can see the different ball flight. It’s just getting that muscle memory working to not feel so weird.

I don’t want to change my grip but I feel to progress my game I need to and am willing to. I know it’ll affect my game for a bit but in the long run it’ll improve it.

Appreciate the kind words!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

Archived