Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
tony@CIC

2019 Golf objectives

My goals are to keep up with my consistent practice and play more regularly. Kicking around the idea of joining a course so i have a place I can go to and not have to pay each and every time. Especially in the late evenings when i get off work and only have time for 5-6 holes before it’s too dark. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Inquiring minds want to know  - which course?

1 hour ago, Mr_Theoo said:

Kicking around the idea of joining a course so i have a place I can go to and not have to pay each and every time. Especially in the late evenings when i get off work and only have time for 5-6 holes before it’s too dark. 

Check this out: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/27313-committed-for-the-next-2-years/

I made some specific goals last year (though admittedly I didn't write them down and therefore don't remember all of them). The big two that I wanted to achieve were: establish an official handicap (check!), and break 80 again (check!) so I'm pretty happy with that. I think I had something about wanting to reduce 3-putts to a certain amount and trying to save an average number of strokes on the short game or something. My season was such a mess (the past two really) so I pretty much gave up on several goals, but at least I got those two. However, I feel like I can barely claim the handicap because it's supposed to be based on an average of your best 10 out of 20 rounds and I think I only logged 16 full rounds. Thankfully, I played more than that, but I played various formats and wasn't able to apply all of them to my handicap.

For 2019: I'd like to get to a single-digit handicap. I'd like to break 80 on different courses (so far I've broken 80 twice on the same course). I want to take a golf trip (short trip up to KC to play with friends). I'd like to play at least 15 different courses. I want to play in more club tournaments (shouldn't be hard, I only played in like 3 this past year).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Best wishes to all who have goals for the 2019 golf season.

I sincerely hope that you all make satisfying progress toward meeting them.

My goal for the coming summer is to accept reality, move on, and do a lot of outdoor reading on my deck.

Barnes & Noble will be my new pro shop. 

Maybe I'll learn something in my old age.

Edited by Har in the Hat
Deleted

Congrats on breaking 90!  

As far as goals for me this coming year, I am not sure where to start yet.  For the last 5 years or so my main goal was to break 80.  Well it finally happened this year and now I am left a little unsure what goals to set.  I like to make them hard enough to have to work at but achievable so breaking 70 is out of the question.  As I am typing this I think on goal will have to be to shoot par for 9 holes, whether that is the front or back 9 doesn't matter.  Gonna have to do some thinking on this one.

Go with something that will shave strokes. Based on your stats set a goal. If you get up and down 50% of the time set a goal for 75% or more greens or less putts. Simple things that will consistently get you under 80 and shave strokes

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't think I've ever put together formal goals, so thanks for putting this thread out!

• I bet I could shave a few putting strokes off most rounds.  I am going to hit the birdieball green hard this winter and get that 3-10 ft. make percentage up.
  • This putting work should help me get on track to a sub 5 hdcp.
  • I three-putt parred a par 5 on the 17th hole and ended up with a 73 this year.  I want to hit that 72 number at least once next year.
  •  I need to get out on the range and/or course next year.  I could get a range pass.  Or there is a par 3 foursome ten round punch pass for taking the fam out this summer that would come to 5 bucks a person to walk nine holes.  I only did this a few times this year, but loved watching the boys try so hard for some pars.  There is also a $200 player pass that lets me walk 9 or 18 for $9.  I haven't played the same course more than three times a season for seven years.  This pass is good at the course closest to me and another 27 hole course. The group I play with plays all over, but if I could get my money's worth out of this, I bet the course knowledge would be worth a couple of strokes by the end of the year, getting me all that much closer to the big 72.

• Like 3

I worked my way down from below a 6 GHIN this year from over 9 at the end of last year (has since moved back up to 7...). My main goal is to get below 5 next year. I should be able to play over 30 rounds with a similar amount of range sessions, and hope to lower my handicap by meeting these 3 specific goals.

1. More than 40% GIR (been around 33-35%)

2. More than 50% FIR (this is the main reason I've gone backwards last few months, need to re-find my driver) 

3. Average less than 33 putts (need to maintain this, as my putting is a primary reason I am a single digit golfer with how I spray it!)

Bonus Goal: Figure out how to hit a fade consistently!

• Like 1

I had a bright shiny new knee installed on November 12th. Before that I’d be gimping around pretty good by the end of 18, and that’s when riding.

Looking forward to building up overall strength and endurance which will hopefully translate into a more consistent swing. Strength and endurance should translate into more rounds as well. For me that’s a good thing. I need to play more.

Overall goal? Stabilize in the mid 80’s and start to scare the lower 80’s by the end of the summer.

I’m looking forward to 2019!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 4:47 PM, romeopapazulu said:

I don't think I've ever put together formal goals, so thanks for putting this thread out!

• I bet I could shave a few putting strokes off most rounds.  I am going to hit the birdieball green hard this winter and get that 3-10 ft. make percentage up.
  • This putting work should help me get on track to a sub 5 hdcp.
  • I three-putt parred a par 5 on the 17th hole and ended up with a 73 this year.  I want to hit that 72 number at least once next year.
  •  I need to get out on the range and/or course next year.  I could get a range pass.  Or there is a par 3 foursome ten round punch pass for taking the fam out this summer that would come to 5 bucks a person to walk nine holes.  I only did this a few times this year, but loved watching the boys try so hard for some pars.  There is also a $200 player pass that lets me walk 9 or 18 for $9.  I haven't played the same course more than three times a season for seven years.  This pass is good at the course closest to me and another 27 hole course. The group I play with plays all over, but if I could get my money's worth out of this, I bet the course knowledge would be worth a couple of strokes by the end of the year, getting me all that much closer to the big 72.

I just did the math on what I need to accomplish #2 above.  The prognosis is not good.  The course nearest me with the players pass has a rating of only 68.1.  So even if I shoot 20 rounds of 75, I will not get to a 5.something.  

New goal: spend 10 hours practicing Aimpoint.  I think I reverse engineered this from the sparse youtube videos available.  I think with a digital torpedo level and a fistful of fingers I can significantly improve my green reading.  Put some perfect reads together with a stroke that puts (putts?) the ball on line every time and a whole bunch of lucky bounces and I might have a chance.

I'll have my eyes on Bryson's every putt next year to squeeze another half a stroke from the pin (or without the pin).

My goal for the coming year is to break 100 more consistently. I've played this game for over twenty years, but it's always been a casual relationship at best. Since finding this site, I've been more motivated to improve. My game plan is:

1. Focus on putting. This is the weakest part of my game, according to Arccos I'm averaging about forty putts a round.

2. Continue my SuperSpeed training. I need the extra distance to give myself better shots at the green in regulation.

3. Short game, short game, and more short game. If I can't reach the green, I need to be able to land these shots closer to the pin.

4. Play smarter. I started playing in the 90's when "Grip it and Rip it" was cool. I never had the distance to do this, but the mentality stuck with me. I need to determine when it's ok to go all out and when to play it safe. I'm hoping by adding distance with SuperSpeed that I'll feel more confident taking lesser club off the tee.

5. Get fit for a new driver. This is the agreed upon reward between me and my wife for doing the SuperSpeed training.

Most of all, I want to enjoy this game to my fullest extent. Life is so crazy that sometimes it's easy to forget the little things that make it so great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Mine are to play and more importantly practice more. I'm lucky to live on a resort with a range and course while I am at work and need to take more advantage of that. I want to hit a single figure handicap this year. 

• Like 2

So 2018 was pretty epic for me.  Well from March 2018 (after recovering from prostate surgery) to October 2018 (when my left hand started hurting so much I couldn't play), it was pretty epic.  It'll take quite a bit for 2019 to measure up.  The hand is feeling good enough to hit balls on the Trackman, so hopefully I'm back in the game.

My main skill goal this year is to continue to work on the swing change my teacher and I started on.  It's weird to see the ball curve left to right after 35 years of hitting a hook, but it should eliminate the giant two-way miss that I have when I'm not swinging well.

My non-skill goal is to play some rounds with fellow spies.  It killed me to miss the DMV meetup.

But the most important thing is to really help my little one work on her game.  Her middle school has a team, and she really wants to be the first girl to make it.

• Like 4

My plan for the next year is to work on the process, and let the results look after themselves.

First step is to dial in my new bag through regular on course practice and chipping and partial wedge work.

Subtle setup changes will be reinforced with range sessions.

Hoping to upgrade fairways and hybrid if I can find the right clubs for the right price.

Mostly, my aim is to have fun playing the game I love.

• Like 4

Same main goal as always-play more than the previous year, which I have not accomplished since I was in my early 30's!

Take lessons from 1 PGA pro- Last year I took 5 clinics all taught by different people leading to more confusion than improvement

Go to the practice area no longer than 2-3 days after the lesson to practice what I learned

Go back to  putting right handed

Take the wife on 2 golf weekends

Edited by Headhammer
  • Like 2

On 12/13/2018 at 7:01 PM, blackngold_blood said:

Congrats on breaking 90!  

As far as goals for me this coming year, I am not sure where to start yet.  For the last 5 years or so my main goal was to break 80.  Well it finally happened this year and now I am left a little unsure what goals to set.  I like to make them hard enough to have to work at but achievable so breaking 70 is out of the question.  As I am typing this I think on goal will have to be to shoot par for 9 holes, whether that is the front or back 9 doesn't matter.  Gonna have to do some thinking on this one.

So after some thought I have come up with a couple goals for 2019.

1.  Play more!  I am going to be getting a membership to my local course for $256/year.  Hopefully this will allow me to get out a couple times a week after work as well as more weekends.

2.  Break Par for 9 holes, whether that is the front 9 or back 9.  Hopefully #1 will help with this one.  I have been close with a 37 but always fell apart on the last couple holes.

3.  Play all year with the same clubs.  This one will be difficult but I think I can get it done.  Currently I have some Adams XTD A Tour irons 4-GW, a Nike Method Mod 60 putter, and 2 off brand wedges that I just seem to like.  Will be looking for a new Driver (Yellow F9 more than likely) and a new HL 3 wood.

4.  Break 80 more.  I happen to finally do it this year and will be attempting to do it again.  Hopefully more often!

5.  This is the most important one.  After winning the Fantasy Football League this year and receiving the golden ticket, I am hoping to do the MGS Community proud with a review that is helpful and worthy to be posted on this amazing Forum.

• Like 3

Just had shoulder surgery, so looking to get out on the course by March....
1.) Dial in the wedges. I need to get a solid look at par when I miss greens.
2.) Work on lag putts. 3 putts can kill my rounds.
Other than that I feel pretty good about my game. Currently a 5 hcp but that’s due to the issues stated above.
Cheers Gents!

• Like 1