Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Center of Gravity vs Center of Mass

TR1PTIK

The first photo, by TR1PTIK, is showing the center of the weight of the putter head is NOT in the middle of the face, where the aiming line is.  Makes sense, since putting is using a lever, the shaft, to push an object, from an angle off to the side.  We are not standing over the center of the ball.  We are putting from the side.  So the middle of the face, does not have to be at the balance point.  A croquet mallet has its shaft smack dab in the middle of mallet head.  But croquet putting is a no-no in golf, right?  If the weight is centered and you attach a lever on a side and strike from an angle, you will get a twist.  I think this is geometry, 10th grade math.  If you want, you can use calculus to describe the rate of change of the vector as the face moves.  But that is probably overkill, I don't think it helps Scotty or Toulon or Rife design a better putter.  If any of them do use calculus, god bless em.

I started putting cross handed (and looking at the hole, not the ball, on long putts) after the Jordan Speith magazine cover in 2015.  I spent a lot of time working on it.  I eventually realized I wanted a face balanced putter, since I make a stroke with very little arc (and I even use a follow through almost like a wedge ).  It also took awhile to find how to place my front, low hand.  Then came experimenting with weight.  Then early this year, 2023, I finally found out that fat grips are MANDATORY, they stabilize your hand/wrist, and help you hit the ball where you planned.  Finding you right shaft length and lie angle are necessary, just like other clubs.  I have accumulated 3 used putters, all face balanced, different weights, slighlty different shafts and lie, am in the process of re-gripping all with fat grips.  And when I feel rich I might mosey on over to nearby Evnroll and pony up $500 for a fitting and putter.  Or at nearby Indi.  It is hard or impossible to adjust the lie angle on putter shafts, so be warned when shopping.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

4 hours ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

It is hard or impossible to adjust the lie angle on putter shafts, so be warned when shopping.

It is no more difficult to adjust the lie angle for a putter than it is for any other club.  Clamp it into a putter bending machine and use a bending bar to adjust the lie angle.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG