Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Has losing weight affected your game?

azstu324

So I know that there are other topics covering weight loss and weight loss goals. This one's more of a post-weight-loss topic so please feel free to participate if you have any stories or gems to offer. (disclaimer) Usually when I post a new topic, I do my best to vet out any similar or same threads out there and I couldn't find any specifically addressing this topic. If this is a "double post" I do apologize. 

For those going into 2019 with weight loss goals, I wish you success and may you reach your goals while keeping your sanity in tact. I'll be trudging right along side you all. I'm going into the new year with my goal about half attained. I've lost about 35 lbs and plan to lose about 25 more for a target weight of 210 lbs. 

Now for those who have had a substantial weight loss in 2018 or previous years, I could use your help! I've found that as I continue to lose more and more weight, that my timing has been completely thrown off. What used to be the most effective part of my game (driving) has now become an absolute catastrophe. I'm almost fearing the tee box now. My miss is now a snap/duck hook and I just can't seem to find that "loving feeling" in my swing. Almost like I'm getting in my own way somehow.. So strange as there's less of me now to get in the way of. I've researched and have found videos and commentary on possibly my body now turning too fast and creating a hip thrust which can pull the club face closed and drastically de-loft the face. The result sounds about right but I'm not really sure if this is my problem. I haven't done any recording of my swing to know. I'd rather just try and sort it out through different swing drills or thoughts and possible advice from MGS friends. 

Additionally, my irons are not nearly as drastic but I seem to be drawing all of my shots with not as good of compression. Almost a sweeping feeling which is definitely losing yardage, height and impacting shot quality. 

All advice and comments are welcome. 

Thanks!

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

You body is moving different now with a new shape to you. My instructor I had after some weight loss asked how much more I expected to lose or what my situation was when we started lessons. He wanted to make sure body changes would be acounted for during our lesson planning.

gettin to a pro to look at your swing and make recommendations is going to be the best way to fix your issues 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Having just lost over 20 percent of my weight I can tell you that it takes some time to adjust. I have and what I’m hearing a lot is, “There’s the old Rev!”

Just be patient, take a few lessons and realize that you will be able to do some things that you couldn’t before.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Heh...losing weight? I haven't reached maximum density yet...!😝

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Heh...losing weight? I haven't reached maximum density yet...!
Just about spit out my soda on that one. I'm in the same boat, and it sounds like probably it's a tight squeeze.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Just about spit out my soda on that one. I'm in the same boat, and it sounds like probably it's a tight squeeze.

Hey man - when are we going to play. I’m off from the 26th through January 6. Want to come up and try Bayou?

Have the wife meet us for dinner after the round?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hey man - when are we going to play. I’m off from the 26th through January 6. Want to come up and try Bayou?

Have the wife meet us for dinner after the round?

Sounds good. I'm on break the 21st through January 2, so once we get by Christmas I can make it work just about any day in that next week. I'm looking forward to it.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Yes and no. I lost about 50lbs this past year and I had moments where I thought it was effecting my swing but overall I would say it was mostly in my head. When I was hitting the ball well I didn’t think about the weight loss. It only came into play when I started to struggle. Looking for something to blame because I had been practicing for once and wanted to see some improvement

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I am not sure that it is as much losing weight as it is being more physically fit.  I have noticed that I have better balance and am able to keep my lower body more stable.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yes and drastically, but not in a good way. I lost over 100 pounds by the start of last season and completely forgot how to hit a golf ball. When I was at full buffet weight I used my hands a lot more in my swing as compensation. When I was actually able to move better that did not work out well at all for me. Spent two months with our pro relearning how to properly swing a golf club. Overall my swing is a lot better and a lot more consistent now. And as a plus I got to buy a whole bunch of new golf clothes.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

I am not sure that it is as much losing weight as it is being more physically fit.  I have noticed that I have better balance and am able to keep my lower body more stable.  

... Exactly! There is a reason almost everyone on tour is very fit these days. Golf is an athletic endeavor and can be an explosive one at that, and while you can still play when not in great or even good physical condition, in the long run you will always play better in great physical shape. Extra pounds do not help you in life or in golf.

... I came down with an intestinal virus almost 2 years ago and went from 185 to 156. When I finally recovered and started playing again I had lost about 40% of my yardage. Obviously I was weak from being pretty much bed/couch ridden for 8 weeks an unable to eat much heading into the spring but because I eat very healthy, without sugar and almost no carbs, regaining the weight has been very difficult. I am finally back up tp 177 and have regained all my strength and then some, because I had to lift religiously to get my strength back. And I can say even though I could use another 10 lbs even back at 165 after lifting for 6 months which is 20lbs less than I had weighed most of my life, I was hitting the ball as well or better than I ever have and my length has slowly returned. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I've had a different experience. A couple of years ago I dropped about 15-20. I wasn't that overweight anyway just carrying a little too much for my stature. I've also gained most of it back in the last two years. But losing the weight had no adverse or positive effect on my swing or game. I certainly felt better; I remember that. My weight loss was gradual so I never really noticed it as far as my game was concerned. I probably played a little better but I'm playing pretty good now too. Perhaps a guy that is overweight by 100 pounds or more might see a loss affect their swing/game. But that would be a good thing in the long haul. You'll live longer.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Finding out that I’m pre-diabetic a month ago, my diet has just radically changed, and so now I’m hopefully going to lose around 50 lbs in the next 6 months/year.

i lost 10 so far, mainly by cutting out white stuff, like bread and sugars. I think the key that I’m going to try doing is to continue a healthy dose of playing as I’m losing, and try to fit in some light lifting and exercise.

my hope is that my game won’t even notice the weight loss, provided I can keep it up...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

Finding out that I’m pre-diabetic a month ago, my diet has just radically changed, and so now I’m hopefully going to lose around 50 lbs in the next 6 months/year.

i lost 10 so far, mainly by cutting out white stuff, like bread and sugars. I think the key that I’m going to try doing is to continue a healthy dose of playing as I’m losing, and try to fit in some light lifting and exercise.

my hope is that my game won’t even notice the weight loss, provided I can keep it up...

Keep at it. I was diagnosed 2 years ago with my A1C being close to 7 and last April it was 4.0 so you can really effect it with the diet and exercise

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Best wishes - hop on the weight loss thread - there’s last years or one for the upcoming year. Lots of support here.

I’ve lost 45 lbs this year. That changes the blood work, heart rate and blood pressure readings.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I think it's safe to say that I'm back to my old form.. which is a good thing. I did some research on the old interweb and came to find out that my snap hook was caused my my body turning to quickly. Losing 35 lbs of mostly belly can definitely have that kind of impact.

I had initially thought the opposite, that maybe my hands were ahead of my rotation.. hence why I was beating my head against the wall to figure things out. That and re adjusting my takeaway to keep my hands closer to my waist line giving me better body rotation made a huge difference.

The photo is from 16 drives. I wasn't so much concerned with distance as I was direction, trajectory and spin to groove a nice repetitive swing. As you can see, I had no snap hooks and my direction was just on either side of center with spin right in the sweet spot. Tonight was a very productive night. Can't wait to play on Saturday. 1219182021.jpeg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using MyGolfSpy mobile app

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Archived