TESTERS WANTED! ×

Big boys or the little guy

RickyBobby_PR

Big or small  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Big brands or lesser known

• Big boys
    • Little guys

When shopping for new equipment do you gravitate towards the big boys like TaylorMade, Titleist, Ping, Callaway, etc? Maybe a mid tier brand like Wilson, Cobra, Tour Edge? Or the little guys like newcomer New Level?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Being a lefty, there's slim hope of finding stuff from the little guys. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Being a lefty, there's slim hope of finding stuff from the little guys. 

And even then sometimes demo options are limited. I know a few lefties and they complain somewhat frequently 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My bag is almost all Cobra, except for a couple of older Titleist wedges and a Tommy armour putter, Cobra make some good equipment at a little bit lower price than the Big guys, and the prices usually drop quite a bit more on their slightly used or year old models compared to similar clubs from TaylorMade or Callaway.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I’ve gravitated to Callaway gear mostly BUT for good reasons.
My gear upgrade when I started getting serious began with new irons. I tested quite a few out and based on budget and what I hit best, I ended up with Steelheads (anniversary gift from my wife).
From there was a new bag which I also got from my wife. She had an idea of what I was looking for and felt that it was only appropriate that I’d have a Callaway bag since my newest clubs were the same brand.
Next addition was my new driver which ended up being a TM M2. Kept my Cobra 3/4 w and upgraded the shaft and grip.
I splurged/got a sweet deal on a Rogue hybrid which was my latest addition.
I’m not against trying anything and not solely committed to Callaway. I just have always ended up going that way in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

I go for Taylormade, have had nothing but good experiences with the brand. I’ve tried different brands, but I always end up putting my Taylormade stuff back in the bag.

I am willing to try the Wilson blades out, only because of my short time hitting them last year around this time. They are pretty damn buttery, so hopefully the new ones are as good as the FG 100’s. If by chance Taylormade makes the “VR Pro (Tiger irons)” available for general purchase I will own them.... might be wall hangers but I will own them.

Drivers are my nemesis so I’ll try anything that can get me from point A to point B without hitting a low slice from the right trees.

I don’t think my Taylormade SLDR Tour Spoon Wood is going anywhere ever. It’s my Henrik club.

I guess big buys mainly because that’s all I can easily find in stores. It does kinda suck not having a great good store in town with lots of variety. There are lots of things I’d like to try and even own but Iran hard for me to spend money on a maybe club. 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I gravitate towards whatever works for my game & my budget.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Whatever clubs I use have to first work and second fit my eye.  I have to like what I am looking down at and I have been known to take slightly less performance for something visually appealing.  I voted for the little guys as the only thing currently in my bag for sure next year is a no longer in production Nike Method Mod 60 putter and some Adams XTD A Tour Irons.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I ventured off the Major OEM plantation a few years ago when I decided to go with Wishon irons. Prior to that I'd always played what the Big Boys made. And the BB's make good stuff. But they're not the only ones by a long shot. Wishon designs are right up there with the best on the market. The deal with Wishons is that you have to seek them out. They are not in magazines, TV, or on the rack. Only professional club fitters sell and fit them**. I also carry a Wishon 4-wood and a TM SLDR and Edel putter. However, just because Wishon's aren't a BIG brand doesn't mean they are necessarily low cost. My irons were actually more expensive than a major OTR brand but that's due to professional fitting-build and going with SF shafts. The results were well worth it IMO. As for balls and such I play a wide variety of balls such as Titleist, TM, and Callaway for example. I also play Snell, Kirkland, and MG. All all these are top notch tour balls in my book. I use MG gloves too.

** - There are some guys tinkering with home-made clubs that can order and make you a set of Wishons. This isn't what you're after. Vastly different from a professional club fitter. We also have a forum member - professional club fitter-builder. McGolf. You'll see him around from time to time.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I splurged once on Edel irons. I had a good season and a half with them, but I’ve already improved my accuracy by going to Pings again. The problem I have with the smaller brands is price, and resale value. I sell everything I have in a category when buying new, so I’ve been burnt before having “off brands”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I've done both.  

Currently, my bag consists of Wilson Staff at the top end of the bag; Bridgestone irons; and SCOR wedges.  I do have a Callaway sand wedge and Ping putter.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I’ll try everything except Callaway and Taylor Made. It’s nothing more than their clubs just do not suit my eye.

Besides that, put it in my hands and I’ll give it an honest shake. It’s about performance.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Mostly play a Callaway bag and have for the last several years.  Although my putter is from one of the smaller companies.  Not against the smaller guys but sometimes being able to find demo sets at a shop limits my interest in the brands.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I checked Big Boys but I'm using an Evnroll putter which certainly isn't a big brand company so guess it really comes down to what works best and availability for testing.  As mentioned above, small brands many times don't have decent resale value  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

I really don’t know that I have a preference, that being said I will look to certain companies first for certain gear because I have better opinions like I prefer Callaway wedges over ping and I like my hogan irons. But those were also choices I made from researching and trying things out. Miura makes some nice gear and so does tour edge, I gamed a set of Wilson Staff for a very long time but won’t compete without Bridgestone balls.

So I guess it depends on what works for out of what’s available.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

... I love to promote the little guys as well as the mid tier guys, but I will always play what is best for my game. Currently I have Cobra, Taylor Made and Titleist in my bag. I've played a Bobby Grace putter for many years but I am experimenting with a Scotty Cameron so pretty much big boys at the moment and the only changes I foresee in 2019 are Cobra S9 driver and fairway wood so things probably won't change much. I am taking 5 dozen TP5x to Phoenix with me for the winter but will also play some Snell Black and Cut Blue when the new balls arrive so at least I have some little guy street cred. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Pretty solidly in the camp of the little guys in the irons, going from Mizuno to Cobra.  I'm excited to see if that new TEE driver I won can knock the R11 out of the bag where the F8 could not.  I'd love to have all little guys in the bag except for the Ping putter.

Question... was Hogan a little guy in the 80s/early 90s when I played them?  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I proudly and happily play Titleist irons. However, I would give a nut for a set of baby blades or National Custom Works to fall in my lap. The Moira’s are too expensive and the NCW’s fall into the category of, “if you have to ask, then you probably can’t afford them.” I did love and desire a set of Scratch back when they were around and have been revived in the name of NCW, but I just feel they are damned expensive. At least expensive for me.

I don’t really have any brand loyalty as I have 5 brands in my bag. I want what I like and plays well with/for me.

I look for stuff from the little guy, but every time I find something I like, they don’t make it in Lefty. So I am sometimes forced to go with the Big boy. Mizuno, cobra, and Cally are my main sources. I have used TM in the past, but haven’t found anything from them I like lately. I am hoping the Snell makes the MTB Black golf ball in the optic yellow this season so I can switch over, the MTB Red just doesn’t suit my game, so I need the black, but have trouble playing the white golf ball. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

On 12/16/2018 at 6:48 PM, PMookie said:

I splurged once on Edel irons. I had a good season and a half with them, but I’ve already improved my accuracy by going to Pings again. The problem I have with the smaller brands is price, and resale value. I sell everything I have in a category when buying new, so I’ve been burnt before having “off brands”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And in some cases, you can’t even trade in the little guy brands. So you have to sell them, and for me being a Lefty, it’s almost impossible to find another Lefty to sell a club to someone from a company that they have never heard of.  They want the name brand stuff

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

The little guys. I have played Hogan and even built my own Maltby clubs. Right now I have my eye on Sub 70. They just launched and are not far from Chicago.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

being a lefty not much of a chance to get gear from the small guys,  but when I was looking last spring I tried everything , ping, callaway, titelist, tailormade, cobra,  Srixon..  did not matter the brand I picked what worked best. 

I think players with no club deals are on to something, play what works for you. 

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Little guys all day.  I find that you can often get clubs that are just as good, if not better, for less money.  Right now, Im gaming a bag of pretty much all the little guys: Tour Edge, Bombtech, Nicklaus, Pinemadow, Top Flite and Nitro.  I dont notice any difference in my game from when my bag wall all Mizuno or Titleist.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

14 hours ago, jacustomgolf said:

The little guys. I have played Hogan and even built my own Maltby clubs. Right now I have my eye on Sub 70. They just launched and are not far from Chicago.

The Sub 70's look sweet.  Let us know how they work out.  Interesting to see the Diamond Tour guys starting an up-market brand.  I've been obsessed with the little guys ever since my grandfather used to get the old Austad's catalog in the 80s.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Another lefty here and understand the companies limited budget for making product for us.

I just wish that companies would produce their middle tier models instead of the beginning or expert models. IMO its would hit more golfers.

In that vein, Wilson offers a great selection, of course the big boys do too. I am told Eric at NL will be making a lefty irons which sound intriguing.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Archived