Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Big boys or the little guy

RickyBobby_PR

Big or small  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Big brands or lesser known

• Big boys
    • Little guys

I think it fair to say that Mizuno is considered a small guy as they have very little tour presence and don't pay for use of their equipment. Am I correct in this thinking? And I use them. 

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

9 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

I think it fair to say that Mizuno is considered a small guy as they have very little tour presence and don't pay for use of their equipment. Am I correct in this thinking? And I use them. 

...  Mizuno has a pretty strong worldwide presence and of course sell more sporting equipment than golf clubs. Most in Europe probably consider Mizuno one of the big boys as there is a decent tour presence there. Personally I think there is a category below the Big Boys and above the Little Guys and Mizuno fits right in the middle of that category along with Wilson, Tour Edge/Exotics and Bridgestone.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

9 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

Mizuno is an interesting brand in golf. Some consider them a JDM brand and others consider them American.  Me I put them and Srixon in similar categories of a mix between jdm and American. Honma kind of gttting into that mix too.

as for big vs small that’s kind of the same as above. Mizuno is a big company but a brand that could be considered small as you mentioned limited tour use but I think they are more of a big brand because they are a global presence.

they do pay for tour usage but not to the extent as some of the other big boys

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 12/28/2018 at 9:10 AM, jacustomgolf said:

The little guys. I have played Hogan and even built my own Maltby clubs. Right now I have my eye on Sub 70. They just launched and are not far from Chicago.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wonder if the heads will ever be available separately as components?

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Wonder if the heads will ever be available separately as components?

I going up there in February. I’ll ask when I’m there.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I'm a Bridgestone/Titleist guy ......

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

On 1/6/2019 at 7:48 AM, chisag said:

...  Mizuno has a pretty strong worldwide presence and of course sell more sporting equipment than golf clubs. Most in Europe probably consider Mizuno one of the big boys as there is a decent tour presence there. Personally I think there is a category below the Big Boys and above the Little Guys and Mizuno fits right in the middle of that category along with Wilson, Tour Edge/Exotics and Bridgestone.  

Correct. They are big overseas and that is evident by their European and Japanese websites compared to the American website.

Your explanation makes sense about their position. Thank you

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

Dexterity:

On 1/6/2019 at 7:51 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Mizuno is an interesting brand in golf. Some consider them a JDM brand and others consider them American.  Me I put them and Srixon in similar categories of a mix between jdm and American. Honma kind of gttting into that mix too.

as for big vs small that’s kind of the same as above. Mizuno is a big company but a brand that could be considered small as you mentioned limited tour use but I think they are more of a big brand because they are a global presence.

they do pay for tour usage but not to the extent as some of the other big boys

I know that Luke Donald was (is) their main professional rep.  Was there anyone else? I'm drawing a blank on who else sports their irons on your.

Dexterity:

22 minutes ago, Har in the Hat said:

I know that Luke Donald was (is) their main professional rep.  Was there anyone else? I'm drawing a blank on who else sports their irons on your.

Outside of Faldo he is the one that most associate with the brand. They’ve had several in the past but other than Charles Howell III past players don’t standout to me.  I haven’t looked at their site in awhile but Jhonny Vegas, Eddie Pepperel and Nick Watney are on contract. I’ve seen staff bags on by for PGA and Euro Tour but no names I can remember. There might be 1-2 on lpga, Stacy Lewis was sponsored by them but with her having time off to start a family not sure of her status 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Outside of Faldo he is the one that most associate with the brand. They’ve had several in the past but other than Charles Howell III past players don’t standout to me.  I haven’t looked at their site in awhile but Jhonny Vegas, Eddie Pepperel and Nick Watney are on contract. I’ve seen staff bags on by for PGA and Euro Tour but no names I can remember. There might be 1-2 on lpga, Stacy Lewis was sponsored by them but with her having time off to start a family not sure of her status 

Thanks for the info 

Dexterity:

30 minutes ago, Har in the Hat said:

Thanks for the info 

Sure thing. I wish they did a better job promoting their players and clubs. The last drive through and the new one are the best they have done and this could be the year they break into the fight but only if they choose to show it off

I’m a MGS most wanted guy. So that leads to an eclectic bag. Ping Driver and Irons, Tour Edge Fairway, TMag hybrids, SCOR wedges and EVNRoll putter.

Balls are big boys. I’ve used Snells, liked them but my club does Titleist and it’s a matter of convenience for me. I don’t spend much on balls anyway, around $100 a season. I got almost that amount in Amazon gift cards so I may be switching over to the Tp5 with that money.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

10 minutes ago, revkev said:

I’m a MGS most wanted guy. So that leads to an eclectic bag. Ping Driver and Irons, Tour Edge Fairway, TMag hybrids, SCOR wedges and EVNRoll putter.

Balls are big boys. I’ve used Snells, liked them but my club does Titleist and it’s a matter of convenience for me. I don’t spend much on balls anyway, around $100 a season. I got almost that amount in Amazon gift cards so I may be switching over to the Tp5 with that money.

Convenience plays a role for a lot of people I think. I’m a prov homer but do like the previous tp balls and am curious about the new ones as well as the new prov. I also like the oncore elixir but they are hard to find as the dicks here doesn’t carry them and the wegmans (supermarket with NY ties) didn’t have them this year otherwise they would get more play.  I usually buy 4-8 dz prov1/x atvthe start of the release cycle during their buy 3 get 4th free and those last awhile. I still have 2-3 dozen from 2017 order

Archived