Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
RickyBobby_PR

Big boys or the little guy

Big or small  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Big brands or lesser known

• Big boys
    • Little guys

Pretty solidly in the camp of the little guys in the irons, going from Mizuno to Cobra.  I'm excited to see if that new TEE driver I won can knock the R11 out of the bag where the F8 could not.  I'd love to have all little guys in the bag except for the Ping putter.

Question... was Hogan a little guy in the 80s/early 90s when I played them?  

• Like 1

I proudly and happily play Titleist irons. However, I would give a nut for a set of baby blades or National Custom Works to fall in my lap. The Moira’s are too expensive and the NCW’s fall into the category of, “if you have to ask, then you probably can’t afford them.” I did love and desire a set of Scratch back when they were around and have been revived in the name of NCW, but I just feel they are damned expensive. At least expensive for me.

I don’t really have any brand loyalty as I have 5 brands in my bag. I want what I like and plays well with/for me.

I look for stuff from the little guy, but every time I find something I like, they don’t make it in Lefty. So I am sometimes forced to go with the Big boy. Mizuno, cobra, and Cally are my main sources. I have used TM in the past, but haven’t found anything from them I like lately. I am hoping the Snell makes the MTB Black golf ball in the optic yellow this season so I can switch over, the MTB Red just doesn’t suit my game, so I need the black, but have trouble playing the white golf ball. 

On 12/16/2018 at 6:48 PM, PMookie said:

I splurged once on Edel irons. I had a good season and a half with them, but I’ve already improved my accuracy by going to Pings again. The problem I have with the smaller brands is price, and resale value. I sell everything I have in a category when buying new, so I’ve been burnt before having “off brands”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And in some cases, you can’t even trade in the little guy brands. So you have to sell them, and for me being a Lefty, it’s almost impossible to find another Lefty to sell a club to someone from a company that they have never heard of.  They want the name brand stuff

• Like 1

The little guys. I have played Hogan and even built my own Maltby clubs. Right now I have my eye on Sub 70. They just launched and are not far from Chicago.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

being a lefty not much of a chance to get gear from the small guys,  but when I was looking last spring I tried everything , ping, callaway, titelist, tailormade, cobra,  Srixon..  did not matter the brand I picked what worked best. 

I think players with no club deals are on to something, play what works for you. 

Little guys all day.  I find that you can often get clubs that are just as good, if not better, for less money.  Right now, Im gaming a bag of pretty much all the little guys: Tour Edge, Bombtech, Nicklaus, Pinemadow, Top Flite and Nitro.  I dont notice any difference in my game from when my bag wall all Mizuno or Titleist.

14 hours ago, jacustomgolf said:

The little guys. I have played Hogan and even built my own Maltby clubs. Right now I have my eye on Sub 70. They just launched and are not far from Chicago.

The Sub 70's look sweet.  Let us know how they work out.  Interesting to see the Diamond Tour guys starting an up-market brand.  I've been obsessed with the little guys ever since my grandfather used to get the old Austad's catalog in the 80s.

Another lefty here and understand the companies limited budget for making product for us.

I just wish that companies would produce their middle tier models instead of the beginning or expert models. IMO its would hit more golfers.

In that vein, Wilson offers a great selection, of course the big boys do too. I am told Eric at NL will be making a lefty irons which sound intriguing.

• Like 1

I think it fair to say that Mizuno is considered a small guy as they have very little tour presence and don't pay for use of their equipment. Am I correct in this thinking? And I use them. 

9 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

I think it fair to say that Mizuno is considered a small guy as they have very little tour presence and don't pay for use of their equipment. Am I correct in this thinking? And I use them. 

...  Mizuno has a pretty strong worldwide presence and of course sell more sporting equipment than golf clubs. Most in Europe probably consider Mizuno one of the big boys as there is a decent tour presence there. Personally I think there is a category below the Big Boys and above the Little Guys and Mizuno fits right in the middle of that category along with Wilson, Tour Edge/Exotics and Bridgestone.  

9 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

Mizuno is an interesting brand in golf. Some consider them a JDM brand and others consider them American.  Me I put them and Srixon in similar categories of a mix between jdm and American. Honma kind of gttting into that mix too.

as for big vs small that’s kind of the same as above. Mizuno is a big company but a brand that could be considered small as you mentioned limited tour use but I think they are more of a big brand because they are a global presence.

they do pay for tour usage but not to the extent as some of the other big boys

On 12/28/2018 at 9:10 AM, jacustomgolf said:

Wonder if the heads will ever be available separately as components?

• Like 1

Wonder if the heads will ever be available separately as components?

I going up there in February. I’ll ask when I’m there.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:48 AM, chisag said:

...  Mizuno has a pretty strong worldwide presence and of course sell more sporting equipment than golf clubs. Most in Europe probably consider Mizuno one of the big boys as there is a decent tour presence there. Personally I think there is a category below the Big Boys and above the Little Guys and Mizuno fits right in the middle of that category along with Wilson, Tour Edge/Exotics and Bridgestone.  

Correct. They are big overseas and that is evident by their European and Japanese websites compared to the American website.

Your explanation makes sense about their position. Thank you

On 1/6/2019 at 7:51 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Mizuno is an interesting brand in golf. Some consider them a JDM brand and others consider them American.  Me I put them and Srixon in similar categories of a mix between jdm and American. Honma kind of gttting into that mix too.

as for big vs small that’s kind of the same as above. Mizuno is a big company but a brand that could be considered small as you mentioned limited tour use but I think they are more of a big brand because they are a global presence.

they do pay for tour usage but not to the extent as some of the other big boys

I know that Luke Donald was (is) their main professional rep.  Was there anyone else? I'm drawing a blank on who else sports their irons on your.

22 minutes ago, Har in the Hat said:

I know that Luke Donald was (is) their main professional rep.  Was there anyone else? I'm drawing a blank on who else sports their irons on your.

Outside of Faldo he is the one that most associate with the brand. They’ve had several in the past but other than Charles Howell III past players don’t standout to me.  I haven’t looked at their site in awhile but Jhonny Vegas, Eddie Pepperel and Nick Watney are on contract. I’ve seen staff bags on by for PGA and Euro Tour but no names I can remember. There might be 1-2 on lpga, Stacy Lewis was sponsored by them but with her having time off to start a family not sure of her status 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Outside of Faldo he is the one that most associate with the brand. They’ve had several in the past but other than Charles Howell III past players don’t standout to me.  I haven’t looked at their site in awhile but Jhonny Vegas, Eddie Pepperel and Nick Watney are on contract. I’ve seen staff bags on by for PGA and Euro Tour but no names I can remember. There might be 1-2 on lpga, Stacy Lewis was sponsored by them but with her having time off to start a family not sure of her status 

Thanks for the info 

• Like 1