Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Who on here plays vintage equipment?

BIG STU

Deejaid brought it up in a post a few minutes ago. So I figured I would post the question. New Mods if I do not have this in the right place you can move it.

How many fellow spies play vintage equipment or a mix of vintage and modern? I think DJ and I do to some extent and I know Barbajo has some vintage Macs. I think Nifty if he was able to play plays some vintage stuff. Vintage here can be loosely defined. For example my front line set has changed some from my signature. Right now I am messing with a set of about 15 year old KZGs. But I do still play the persimmons and blades quite a bit.  I think FTR Dj has went all the way back to persimmon woods. Just really curious

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Well Stu, I prefer to think of what I play as “Classic Golf” not “Vintage Golf”. Vintage means using old clubs but classic can be new clubs that have a very timeless design.

The game was played for hundreds of years using clubs made of wood and metal, it’s only recently that carbon fiber, plastic, speed foam, microspheres and other materials were used in club design. I look at a bag of persimmon woods, forged irons, and a blade putter as an honest set of tools with which a player can reach their maximum potential through practice and familiarity.

So, yes, right now in my bag are 1950’s era Macgregor Super Eye-O-Matic woods, KZG forged cavity back Irons, a forged 1970’s Ben Hogan sand iron, and a 1950’s era H&B putter. I haven’t had a modern wood in my bag for 6 months.

Personally, I believe giant oversized drivers are ruining the game. The pros hit them so long courses become obsolete and many amateurs can’t hit them straight so their 300 yard drive is two fairways to the right, which coincidentally is the complete opposite direction as their cart partners.

My drives with my persimmon is 240-250, so instead of a wedge I hit an 8-Iron on my second shot, no big deal. What is big is my number of fairways hit compared to my 460cc drives.

Looking down at a wooden club, the grain, the shape....it’s just beautiful.

It is a different game, and for me a more enjoyable one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

If vintage means 2017 then me 🤣

one of these days I want go get out with some vintage clubs

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If vintage means 2017 then me 🤣

one of these days I want go get out with some vintage clubs

Well my friend if you ever get down this way I can make it happen. I have at least 5 or 6 sets assembled at any time grab and go or option #2. you can grab an empty bag and go to picking and matching what ever you choose

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

50 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Well my friend if you ever get down this way I can make it happen. I have at least 5 or 6 sets assembled at any time grab and go or option #2. you can grab an empty bag and go to picking and matching what ever you choose

I’ll see if I can make that happen in 2019. I need a trip south 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have a vintage bag I like to take out from time to time. Everything in it is no less than 20 years old and no greater than 30.

Ping Eye laminate Driver and 4 wood

Mizuno TZoid Pro Irons

Ping Zing Putter

Cleveland 588 Chrome Wedges

Depending on the length of the course my scoring can be consistent with my more modern day equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

8 hours ago, tommc23 said:

I know shanks wants to start playing with some hickory clubs

I do that some too. I have a few mismatched hickories. I was going to do the SOHG thing a couple of years back but have you seen the prices on hickory reproduction clubs? And in the SOHG events you have to play a certain spec ball and some clubs even if they are genuine hickory do not conform for one reason or the other. Yep sounded too much like the USGA to me so I said screw it on that end. So basically now I do it like I do my Classic Golf I play what I want to and someone else plays what they want to and we have fun. 

G

1 hour ago, SteddyGolf said:

I have a vintage bag I like to take out from time to time. Everything in it is no less than 20 years old and no greater than 30.

Ping Eye laminate Driver and 4 wood

Mizuno TZoid Pro Irons

Ping Zing Putter

Cleveland 588 Chrome Wedges

Depending on the length of the course my scoring can be consistent with my more modern day equipment.

There you go!!! Yep those T-Zoids are some good ole irons. Those Ping laminate woods have a cult like following among quite a few classic players on WRX. Ping Zing putter I have a soft spot for those too. I still have my original one and a MGB one. 588 Clevelands I absolutely love I have about 50 of them various materials and lofts. Yes I said around 50! 

G

I have a wood shaft putter that I’ve been toying with the idea of getting it back into the bag. I pulled it years ago, thinking I needed to upgrade. Since I bought my eyeline mirror, I’m anxious to see if I can go back to it.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

And if anyone wants to get their feet wet with the feel of persimmon, I have a few sets available

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

I have some persimmons clubs I hit on occasion if my swing feels funky and a hickory shafted putter that’s fun to toy with but can’t say I consistently play with anything older than 5 years max at the moment.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I have yet to buy my hickory set. But I have a Kroydon 2 iron from the 30’s that’s smaller than a Safety Razor.

This was the last club I hit before the course closed up. It’s probably 20-22°, with a pretty soft shaft, but it makes you concentrate.

And man it feels nice when you pure it. Even with range rocks. I imagine it would be even better with a duo or super soft.

• 1 month later...

I certainly love playing the classics too- I have some great thrift store funds: Walter Hagen "Forged in USA" blades 5-p + Hogan Radial 4i, ~'71 Hogan Bounce Sole 2-p and a set of beautiful Mac Muirfield blades 3-p that I got off the classifieds here. I'll combo one of these sets up with my Dad's old custom persimmons 1, 3, 5, and sometimes 7, with an old Ram sand wedge my Dad gave me as a kid and one of the various brass putters I've got. It's great fun, and nothing beats the feel of puring one. Funny thing is I can still whoop my buddy and be neck and neck with my lady- with them using their frontline stuff. When they use one of my classic sets, it can get pretty... colorful. I think everyone should give it a try- you can find a couple clubs cheap (they don't have to be wallhangers)- if for no other reason than to get a little perspective, and again, that feeling...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Great stuff AH1980MN! When I go out with my classic set, I’m definitely in a different mindset. I’m not trying to kill my tee shots every swing, but focusing more on good contact, which usually leads to good drives that, while shorter, are on the fairway.

I took my “new” Hogan Precisions irons out the other day for a late 9 and shot 5 over, and no double bogeys. I had never even hit the clubs before, just took them straight out.

It’s amazing how well you can score when you keep it on your own fairway, regardless of the shorter distances the classic clubs provide.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 4 weeks later...

I occasionally take my Titelist Lite 100's from mid 70's. Got them when I was a youngster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Set1
Driver - :cobra-small:Cobra King F6+ set 9.5 D, Matrix 65M4 Black Tie R-Flex 65g low-mid launch 
Fairway - :cobra-small:Cobra F6 3/4 and 7/8 both R-flex
Irons - Tour Edge Exotics E8 Steel R-flex 4-PW
Wedges - :cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX 50 and 54, and Smart Sole 3 58
Putter - Top Flite Tour Align 5
Rangefinder - Leupold GX-2i3

Set2

Driver - Custom Built - Accura SP-700 400cc 10deg 48.5" S-flex

Hybrids - :adams-small:Adams Idea A50s 3 and 4

Irons - :taylormade-small:Taylor Made Burner Oversize 3-PW, lightly used 3 and 4 still in original plastic(auction buy $15 w/bag and several other clubs)

Wedges - Snake Eyes 52 & 56 and Dunlop True Tech Lob 64

Putter - W :wilson-small:ilson Harmonized M1

Set 3

My original set approximately 43 years old and I occasionally take the irons out for a swing

:titelist-small:Titleist Lite 100

• 5 months later...
Any suggestions for a good classic looking but modern/accessible grip for a set of 1980's blades?  Tour wraps? Tour velvet?

I like the GripMaster Kidd leather grips. About $10 a grip so a bit pricey but they perform really well and have the right look for classic clubs.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter