TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does anyone here use a smartphone that's NOT an i-Phone / Blackberry?

HTC Hero Android phone for me - impressive beast, and not hamstrung to Apple-only technology like the iPhone's are. Thousands of apps, always growing, but not really looked for golf ones yet as GPS is still prohibited by the backwards-looking UK golf club committees...

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

MOTOROLA DROID, FTW! I've played with Blackberrys (brother), iPhones (dad), and everything they have at the stores, and I don't think there's a better phone out there. Plenty of apps, super fast, very intuitive, keyboard + touchscreen, plus, you get the Verizon network. However, you also get Verizon customer service (after two months, a HUGE negative for me).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

HTC Hero Android phone for me - impressive beast, and not hamstrung to Apple-only technology like the iPhone's are. Thousands of apps, always growing, but not really looked for golf ones yet as GPS is still prohibited by the backwards-looking UK golf club committees...

I have the US Sprint version of the HTC Hero android and it is all I could ever ask for. There are plenty of free golf apps but I have a SkyCaddie and it works fine.

Semper Fi

My Club

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Droid from Verizon and love it...added a couple of their free golf apps that were decent...but Golf Logix recently released their golf GPS system for the Droid...and preliminary results show this to be a solid feature.

Did I mention I LOVE the Droid?

I have the Droid from Verizon and love it...added a couple of their free golf apps that were decent...but Golf Logix recently released their golf GPS system for the Droid...and preliminary results show this to be a solid feature.

I've seen that there are golf GPS apps on there but I haven't tried them yet. Which ones have you tried, how much did they cost, and were they worth it? One concern I might have it whether or not the battery would get through a full round.

I love my android phone too but what about trying to read your screen in bright sunshine? No way it's going to be as one of the GPS devices.

Semper Fi

My Club

I love my android phone too but what about trying to read your screen in bright sunshine? No way it's going to be as one of the GPS devices.

I just read this morning that the Droid is gaining market share, while iPhone sales have stalled. Personally I have Verizon's Touch Pro 2 with Windows Mobile 6.5 and I love it. While it lacks the flare of the iPhone, with a few tweeks, its just as good IMO.

So I have a question for all of you looking to turn your smartphone into a Golf GPS - have you heard that it would be illegal to use your phone as a GPS yardage finder (in tournament play or for posting scores towards your handicap)? I was told a couple of weeks ago that a Golf GPS device cannot have a communication function. Can anyone confirm this?

D-R-O-I-D user here also. Best phone EVER. In the spirit of full disclosure however - I work for Motorola. ;)

Despite my professional bias, I do think its the best phone out there. I've had mine since the initial launch on Verizon and have nothing but mad love for it.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Quick OT question for the other Droid users: do you have problems with your phone not staying locked in your pocket? I'll pull out my phone and half the time it's already unlocked.

Just short press the power button to put the phone in standby mode. That way nothing that touches the screen will trigger a function while its in your pocket.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I've seen that there are golf GPS apps on there but I haven't tried them yet. Which ones have you tried, how much did they cost, and were they worth it? One concern I might have it whether or not the battery would get through a full round.

I plan on testing out the Golfcard app over the next weekend or two if the weather allows. Golfcard is a $10 download off the Android App Store. I will let you know on battery consumption. One thing I did notice right off the bat is not every course is mapped in my area. Out of the 10 courses I play here regularly, a few didn't have yardages which means you would have to manually map them.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

So, you're using the Golf Logix? If so, please provide us a full review asap. Free download of the software with a $40 annual subscription isn't bad. That would allow me to dump my Skycaddie 2.5 if the software is fully capable and (to MSaternus' point) battery life isn't an issue.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Just short press the power button to put the phone in standby mode. That way nothing that touches the screen will trigger a function while its in your pocket.

I do put it into standby mode before I put it into my pocket, and it comes out unlocked. Now that I know you work for Motorola, I BLAME YOU!! B)

Still love it though.

I do put it into standby mode before I put it into my pocket, and it comes out unlocked. Now that I know you work for Motorola, I BLAME YOU!! :P

Still love it though.

Yeah, yeah. I actually used to get that ALOT. Not as many problems with the Android phones so lately the conversations are definitely more pleasant. Of course, there is always that one guy.... ;)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• 3 weeks later...

I have the HTC Hero and absolutely love it.

TaylorMade Burner 9.5 w/ Grafalloy Blue

Tour + Nessie 4 Wood w/ UST Proforce 75

TaylorMade Tour Preferred Irons w/ Rifle Project X

Cleveland CG12 52 56 60 w/ TT Dynamic Gold

David Whitlam Prototype Putter

• 1 month later...

I have the T-Mobile MyTouch Fender, which has the same OS as the Droid. I use the Golfcard app as well as the USGA Rules app. The Golfcard is very accurate, has every course around me mapped, has a scorecard, and will figure your handicap for you. I havent had any issues with battery life. Ive used it for a full round and the rest of the day before needing it to charge it at night

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

I have a Droid, but don't use it for golf GPS. It seems like it is pretty accurate, but its slow and eats the battery. The only golf app I have is the Rules of Golf.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Unlocked Nexus one here. A lot of the GPS programs don't have many Canadian courses on them so I tend not to use them. I do however track all my courses and scores on the phone with Golf Card which is a neat little app.

Plus all the mini golf apps I've got to...

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Just curious about your thoughts on this.

Or will I have to eventually break down and get an iPod Touch (stuck with my phone and plan until Oct. 2010)?

You can jailbreak an iPhone, probably every other brand as well (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and use any carrier you want now.

I tried a smart phone, but was too stupid to use it. I bought my last phone based on how easy it was to push the damn buttons and the loudest possible volume so I can get even with jerkoffs who bring their cells on the course and allow them to ring. :D

• 5 months later...

Seems I'm a minority here, I'm an iPhone user. I have played around with other smartphones like Droid, HTC for short time. My first impression is that the touch screen sensitivity for iPhone is still the best.

Most importantly for me it's the number of available apps developed for the platform. I may be wrong, but I still thing iPhone has the widest selection. Although stuff that I'm only interested in are golf related apps. I think I have just about every golf apps for iPhone that is available.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

• 1 month later...

I broke down this weekend and entered the smart phone world. I held off as long as I could but there are no good phones at Verizon that you don't need the data package for. I ended up with the Samsung Fascinate Galaxy S.

Pros: Huge screen, Compact (very thin), 5.0mp camera, easy to use, 1000's of apps for download.

Cons: Battery, I've charged it every days since I've had it (Saturday)

4 out of 5 stars

Have not tried any GPS on it, I already have an izzo swami which is wonderful but I wouldn't mind something that has a picture of the hole.

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

Archived