Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Need (re)beginning advice on clubs

lshines

I just found this site last week, and am enjoying all the "real golfers' writing! Please advise me on something.

After ~8 years of not playing at all (I had played for only about 10 years before that), and two shoulder operations, I'm finally getting back to being able to swing, doing ok with it too. I only have a few odd clubs, 'cause my son took the set a few years ago. So, I'm starting out all over again, and at age 60. I live in Central Virginia, will play mainly there, MBeach, etc. PLANNING A TRIP TO BANDON DUNES (when I can shoot and not be embarassed).

And, need clubs. Advice, please, on what to get - especially irons. I know I'll need "game improvement" clubs, and probably senior flex shafts (tho' I'd love to get forged irons - if there are some that will give some forgiveness that I can progress into). There are so many out there, and so many have "rocket ship" advertising, it's hard to know/find. Can I get darn good playing, well made irons without having to think Callaway/TaylorMade? Same with drivers/fwwd's, etc. I did buy two Bobby Jones wedges ('cause they are advertised here - and they seemed to be solid/darn-good stuff)!

What would y'all get if you were me?

Thanks,

Linwood

[email protected]

Tour Edge is a great option for the price. They can be custom fit and won't cost you what many of the top brands do.

All of their components are professional grade and the company is located in Batavia, IL - plus they have a life time guarantee. The cost is less because they don't have a tour stable but have many clubs in play every week without paying players. Their game improvement/enhancement products are awesome. Check their website and find someone in your area that carries them.

There is so much technology and so much effort in today's clubs that you can be sure you'll get a good product doesn't matter what you buy.

Plenty of brands out there making good stuff. I'd recommend to buy last season clubs though, since price drop makes it very very accessible and the difference will go almost unnoticed. It depends in your taste, but my recommendations would be:

Driver:

1. Get any Taylormade Driver. Since there have been like 7 releases this year, a great Driver like an original R9 or 09 Burner goes for under $200 new ($149 for the Burner). Same with Callaway. Last season (FT-9, FT-IQ, Diablo Edge, etc) go for cheap right now

Woods:

Same as with drivers, older models are available at great prices. I would second the TourEdge recommendation someone mentioned above, but PING G10s, TM Burner or any other would work perfectly fine,

Irons:

1. Wilson Staff Di9 or even Ci7s. Best iron for the price without any doubt (Ci7s for less than $300 right now).

2. PING G10s are going quite low as well since the G15s and K15s are in the market already. You always go sure with PING

3. If you want to spend some more money and want forged irons, the answer is MIZUNO obviously. MX-200/300 are all forged game improvement irons and perform as yo can expect from any Mizuno product

You want advice on what to buy? That's a toughy, as none of us have seen your swing, know your normal miss, swingspeed, swing type, etc. The best advice I could give you? Go find a good certified fitter in your area and go get fitted.

From searching in a 100 mile radius from Virginia Beach, you can go further away in the search if you'd like as you didn't list a city you're in in Virginia, there are 5 fitters that come up in an International Clubmaker's Guild search.

Ed Ellis at Ed's Golf Shed in Richmond.

Robert Larson at Larson's Custom Golf in Virginia Beach.

Markus Mignat at Mignat Golf Studio in Virginia Beach.

Wayne Stewart at The Club Shack in Newport News.

Charlie Flocco at CFI Golf in Richmond.

I'd also check with other golfers in your area and see who they all like as far as word of mouth recommendations. You can go to a big box store if you'd like, as there are a few good fitters here and there at them, but there are also some very incompetent fitters at them as well. Find someone that does dynamic fittings of every club in the bag that has a launch monitor, not a simulator, and has a place you can hit balls outside on the launch monitor. This way, you get your numbers as well as being able to see the flight. Lots of places that have a good fitter will charge you for a fitting, which they will then apply, most of the time, toward a purchase with them. This way they're not out their time if you decide to purchase elsewhere. They still make money for spending the time they do with you, and you get the numbers and results to what you need that fits you.

We can all throw out brands and clubs that we like but those might not work for you. You'd be best served getting fit by a professional, certified fitter.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thanks everyone. Sound advice!!! Yep, working on a fitting (area is Richmond, VA) and starting swing lessons in Jan. As I said, kinda starting from scratch (to work toward scratch ;-) ).

Sorry I havent replied before - caught the flu, and have been in bed since day before Christmas.

Funny, when I played before, went crazy and bought new set of Callaway "their first g.i. irons - S2H2 I think, but didn't hit them any better than the old set I had years ago - RAM's - which were blades somewhat....

I do appreciate y'all answering - and I'm (re)learning a lot here. Golf show in Richmond in a week or two - hoping for some deals there on clubs as well....

Best,

Linwood

Thanks everyone. Sound advice!!! Yep, working on a fitting (area is Richmond, VA) and starting swing lessons in Jan. As I said, kinda starting from scratch (to work toward scratch ;-) ).

Sorry I havent replied before - caught the flu, and have been in bed since day before Christmas.

Funny, when I played before, went crazy and bought new set of Callaway "their first g.i. irons - S2H2 I think, but didn't hit them any better than the old set I had years ago - RAM's - which were blades somewhat....

I do appreciate y'all answering - and I'm (re)learning a lot here. Golf show in Richmond in a week or two - hoping for some deals there on clubs as well....

Best,

Linwood

That's the way to go! You can't go wrong getting properly fit and the fitter should give you a few recommendations. From there its just a matter of taste or what you personally like. That's what I would do... because in the last 8 years there has been many changes in the golf equipment industry!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472