TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver Shaving - WorldsHottestDrivers.com

Hi guys, just wanted to introduce myself and answer any questions you might have. I'm Steve from Worlds Hottest Drivers. I have permission to post about our company on mygolfspy. For those of you who haven't heard about us we modify the face thickness on drivers to create more trampoline effect and distance. Since we have all the information on our site I won't rewrite it all here. You can read about our process at worldshottestdrivers.com

I realize that our service isn't for everyone. There are many golfers though that are simply wanting to get more distance and have more fun playing golf. Those are the golfers we are appealing to obviously and if you are interested in our services please feel free to ask any questions. I'll try to check in regularly. I appreciate you guys letting me post on your forum.

WorldsHottestDrivers.com

Can you comment on the diminished club life? Aren't you guys the ones that also used to shave bats? Also, I've read a few reviews on your work, another question I have is how can you not consistently do the work where the club's forgiveness isn't gone? Everyone I've read anything from says that when you nut one, the process works awesome for distance. But they say when you mishit one, where it goes is anyone's guess prior to seeing the flight. That'd seem like a problem in the process of a non-consistent milling. If it's milled evenly, the forgiveness shouldn't change any is my thinking, just headweight and COR. But that's contrary to everything I've read. Just curious as to how this happens and what you guys process and pedigree of work is like? I have a few old drivers laying around that, if nothing else I could send you guys and then try to flip on eBay as a shaved driver. I don't and never have used anything non-conforming. But, if I can increase the value of an old driver I'd do nothing with and sell for a profit with full disclosure, why not? I wouldn't risk doing it, though, if it's at the sake of the club being unusable unless hit perfectly.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

We have shaved close to 1,000 drivers to date and have had four customers let us know that their club face ended up denting at some point afterwards. We take into consideration the player's swingspeed to help us determine how aggressively we can shave the club. As far as forgiveness goes, by maintaining the same bulge and roll of the club face we don't affect it's forgiveness. Yes, we still do shave bats also to answer your question. The physics of thinner walls creating more of a trampoline effect is very similar to the golf driver shaving.

In response to the component club maker, about 50% of his comments are because he misunderstood what is written on our site or was a question of semantics. Ie He brings up where we say that "sometimes grooves are removed from the center of the club..." He took that to mean that club makers remove the grooves from the center of the club when in fact we are talking about how they are removed through shaving. I'm not sure of his point about not understanding how we could remove. 10% of the face thickness. I'm not sure why thats so hard to believe. We have tested and continue to refine our process through customer feedback on the ideal face thickness. Our comment about the crown material wrapping over onto the face was intended to address when the painted edge wraps over onto the front of the club. Maybe it was poorly worded on our part so we rewrote that portion on the site to avoid confusion. If there's a point he brought up someone would like me to clarify I'd be glad to discuss it.

You can read our feedback on eBay and on our site and see that our customers are extremely satisfied. One club maker wrote a two page testimonial after we shaved a driver for him part of which is posted on our reviews section.

Playing devils advocate here... :rolleyes:

”… the top name brand drivers being produced today must be limited in their performance so that they can pass the USGA's standard. So, with our process we are basically converting a legal club into an illegal one by taking it well past the performance standard allowed by the USGA….”
This is misleading. After years of independent testing most popular OEM heads, none come anywhere near the COR limits…the OEMS play it safe and create drivers that are strong and resistant to breakage due to pushing COR limits by using a cheaper face (almost exclusively 6-4 Ti Blend…aka Beta Ti). This material is ideal to lending itself to machining face material…but it will most likely still not make it test or exceed COR limits, but would be illegal simply because it was modified.

So I contend that the results of the shaving does not break the COR limits as much as the actual process of tampering/modification does.

”… The reason they are illegal is because (USGA) has a rule that says if the face of your driver is acting like a spring to give the ball an extra boost, then it is illegal…”
Incorrect. ALL faces have a trampoline effect, it's the amount that is regulated…or actually, since the pendulum test replaced the COR testing back in 2004, the amount of rebound is what's regulated.

My questions to WHD.com are:

1) You offer five different levels of shaving, claiming to isolate it specifically to five specific COR levels. How do you know how much to shave off? Do you have a set amount (thickness) to shave to arrive at a specific COR? Or do you test each head as it comes in for COR and test each one going out? How do you test accuracy? Knowing that each head submitted comes in a wide range well under the COR levels, (and fluctuates greatly within same model and mfg)do you check each incoming head and confirm it's COR upon arrival? How do you test and document your results?

2) If a person asks you to make their driver a COR of .890 and they tested it and found it differed, do you offer a replacement since you cannot undo what was done?

I have a few more questions and comments but this should get the ball rolling for some interesting dialog!

Everyone has heard stories about major companies quality control and manufacturing tolerances not being great.

I assume that not every driver is the same, meaning for example my driver, Rapture V2, the face thickness of each club made would be slightly different. Some thinner, some thicker due to manufacturing.

Is there a way you guys can tell how thick a face is to start with before you shave? As well as measuring the COR before and after.

Im not sure if I understand why you don't think that the COR of the club won't be illegal after shaving simply because the manufacturers might err on the side of caution and make their driver under the legal limit. Whatever we test a driver's starting COR to be determines how much we will shave off to achieve the desired COR level. I have to be a little bit careful in answering some of your questions as we already have several competitors copying this idea.

We have an ultrasonic measuring gauge that we use to measure the face thickness at 5 different points on every club we work on. We have a formula that we developed for each type of driver that will tell us how much to shave off to achieve each COR level. We can't test every driver's COR we do before and after the work is done as the COR test is extremely time consuming. We have found that through prior testing we are able to get very consistent COR results through measuring before and after wall thickness.

As far as whether or not we would replace a customer's driver if he had it tested and found that the COR differed from what he had requested: I guess we'll have to cross that bridge if it ever happened which is extremely unlikely. I would obviously want to know where the testing was done and do our own COR test on it to see if we came up with the same results and go from there. That would be a customer service issue more so that a technical one in my opinion and we always do everything we can to make sure a customer is satisfied.

Here's a review from one of our customers.

Tom from Bella Vista, Ark

First I should tell you what I do. I am a professional club maker. You can imagine what my number one request is when it comes to a driver. How do I get more distance? Well if you are looking here you have found the real answer.

Let's be candid. All current drivers manufactured by the majors such as Callaway, Ping, Taylor Made, Adams, Titleist and others are required to conform to both thre USGA and the R&A standards of performance. Within those performance guidelines is the max COR of a driver which cannot exceed a factor of 830. Not to get technical here but COR is the spring effect of the clubs face. What this process incorporates is removing that restriction by remilling the face to create a greater spring effect to the face of your driver. A greater spring effect creates with the same swing tempo of your current driver a longer flighted ball.

I have heard all the HYPE for years on the newest driver and their distance claims. If all of it were true we would all be hitting 300 yard drives. Well it has not happened to me and I suspect it has not happened to you or you would not be looking at this now. It seems every month some manufacture has just created a new $400.00 driver that will cure all your ills. Funny, those $400.00 drivers a year later are now selling for $199.00 or less.

If you want to really increase your distance this process is your TRUE answer. I had one of mine just returned from WHD. I had my COR taken from an 830 on a Taylor Made Draw driver to an 880. All I can tell you is that I picked up 20 yards plus hitting range balls on a cold day in December. I can't wait to get out on the course with my Titleist balls and really see how much I have picked up in distance. I must also comment on WHD. I found the service to be top notch. The process was very well done. All my questions were answered promptly. My driver was returned to me in a matter of days and not weeks. In short this works and Steve anf his staff do an excellent job. I know the price might seem a little high but think of the alternatives. Take your current driver and have it shaved and pick-up another 20 or 30 yards or go ahead and buy another $400.00 dollar driver after you have fallen for all the HYPE and get the same results you had before.

One last note, I thought this process was so good and well performed that I am sending my second driver into WHD. I would not do that unless it worked and it does

Hey guys, I thought I would post another review for you.

Reviewer: Jim in North Texas from Arlington, TX United States

I played my recently "WHD improved" Ping K-15 10.5* driver over the weekend and WOW...what a difference!

I normally play a Ping G-15, 12* driver but I wanted to try the new Ping K-15 because of the advertised improvements in "straightness" and "increased launch angle". When I first played the K-15 (before being shaved) I was not that impressed. Straighter, yes - but the launch angle didn't come to be what I was hoping for. All in all, the stock K-15 wasn't as good as the 12* I was hoping to replace.

But now, after the shaving to .880 COR, this K-15 is truly unbelievable. Straight, high and LONG-about 35 yards longer then when stock (and now straighter and longer than my G-15).

I've played 3 rounds, hit a couple of large bags of balls, and the club face looks the same as when I received it back from WHD. I absolutely love it. Best $100 I've spent on golf in a very long time!

Thanks, for the improvement.

Archived