Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Riding vs. Walking

deejaid

Riding vs. Walking  

67 members have voted

1. 1. When allowed, do you prefer riding or walking the course?

• riding
    • walking

I've never seen an enclosed or heated cart at a public course where I am, but I guess you would have to in MN.

Bethpage Black still is a walking-only course, and push/pull carts in my opinion are more trouble than they're worth there due to the bunkering, slopes, and rough around the greens.  I played there Saturday, and 3 of us were carrying, and the fourth had a push cart that he wanted to abandon after the 6th hole.  It's a beast of a walk, and I won't play it if I have any back issues at all.  By the time I get to the 16th tee, I'm nearly spent, and that's when my back is feeling good.  But when I'm done, it's exhilarating (in spite of the score I've carded!), and I always look forward to doing it again.

Trump's new course in the Bronx is cart-path only I believe.  I've only played it once and walked it - not too bad a walk really.

Anyway, walkers are a minority, but I do feel walking adds to my enjoyment of the round and a feeling of accomplishment.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

I've never seen an enclosed or heated cart at a public course where I am, but I guess you would have to in MN.

Bethpage Black still is a walking-only course, and push/pull carts in my opinion are more trouble than they're worth there due to the bunkering, slopes, and rough around the greens.  I played there Saturday, and 3 of us were carrying, and the fourth had a push cart that he wanted to abandon after the 6th hole.  It's a beast of a walk, and I won't play it if I have any back issues at all.  By the time I get to the 16th tee, I'm nearly spent, and that's when my back is feeling good.  But when I'm done, it's exhilarating (in spite of the score I've carded!), and I always look forward to doing it again.

Trump's new course in the Bronx is cart-path only I believe.  I've only played it once and walked it - not too bad a walk really.

Anyway, walkers are a minority, but I do feel walking adds to my enjoyment of the round and a feeling of accomplishment.

I get the distinct feeling that I would really enjoy playing a round of golf with you.  ;)

I get the distinct feeling that I would really enjoy playing a round of golf with you.  ;)

Well, thank you.  If you're ever coming up here, send me a message and we can make it happen.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Unless you have a cart with an enclosure and heater, the only way to keep warm playing in our winters is to walk.  I stay much warmer walking than I do riding in an open cart.  You just learn to dress for it.  We play year round even when it gets below freezing.  

VERY little winter golf up here, even if the weather permits it.  We've got about 3 courses that will open between 11/15 until (maybe) 3/15.  I play them when they open, but it's almost more for bragging rights than anything else, at that point.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

95 degrees?  you got use to this weather real quick BK.  My threshold is 80ish

Ha!  Actually I don't think I ever fully adapted to Wisconsin weather.  Too d@mn cold up there.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I would kill to be able to walk 18 holes again.  I need both knees replaced thanks to running with boots, weapons and pack over the years and my back and hips aren't real flash either so its the cart for this black duck!

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

I have walked 99% of all rounds that I have ever played, and will continue to do so. I hate the required cart rule, and when I get to a course that has this rule, I either have my partner drive and I will walk with my clubs on the cart, or if I am playing solo, I will take the key from the shop, and then just walk anyway.  I have yet to meet a group in carts that plays faster than me when I walk....  As soon as I can no longer walk and carry, I will find a new hobby...

I hope I'm around to remind you of your last statement. :) Try coming to Florida in July, you'll appreciate carts more than you do currently. Having written that I'd way prefer to walk, riding allows me to continue to play golf year round. Carts are not they devil, they are a new technology to be used to make the game more enjoyable and that enable an architect to utilize a piece of propert differently.

Oh and trust me on this, I recall a day when everyone walked, they played slow then too. Lots of five plus hour rounds walking in this guys life for certain.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I would kill to be able to walk 18 holes again.  I need both knees replaced thanks to running with boots, weapons and pack over the years and my back and hips aren't real flash either so its the cart for this black duck!

Yeah, but you earned that right to cart!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I hope I'm around to remind you of your last statement. :) Try coming to Florida in July, you'll appreciate carts more than you do currently. Having written that I'd way prefer to walk, riding allows me to continue to play golf year round. Carts are not they devil, they are a new technology to be used to make the game more enjoyable and that enable an architect to utilize a piece of propert differently.

Oh and trust me on this, I recall a day when everyone walked, they played slow then too. Lots of five plus hour rounds walking in this guys life for certain.

I completely understand why people ride. I have no issues with carts, or people that ride. I prefer to walk. I will always prefer to walk. I always play better when I walk, and worse when I ride. Carts are fine. just not for me...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Yeah, but you earned that right to cart!

Thanks for that mate, comments like that warm my heart.  I think we all could use a little heart warming now and then :)

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

I like to walk and do about 90 percent of the time. I need the exercise and I like to try and get a mental and visual idea ofthe next shot as I walk toward the ball.

I am approaching 65 years old so my plan is to use my legs as long as they still work. I do find some fatigue issues on the last couple of holes if the course is very hilly.

Mesully

A guy at my club is 82 or 83 and walks every round. And carries his bag. He does grab the occasional ride up one of the big hills. Temperature and humidity are not a factor. On days that I ride because it's "too hot" or "too humid" I see him walking and lose all respect for myself.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

A guy at my club is 82 or 83 and walks every round. And carries his bag. He does grab the occasional ride up one of the big hills. Temperature and humidity are not a factor. On days that I ride because it's "too hot" or "too humid" I see him walking and lose all respect for myself.

Played with a guy like that once. 

I said previously at our tournamnts there is a form for a medical exception so you don't have to walk. I've never seen so many injured golfers in my life. I'd say 3/4 are legit, such as surgeries arthritus and the like, but man some of the guys could easily walk. During match play Saturday which is 18 holes match play followed by 18 more if you beat your opponent, I was one of the only ones to walk. May have been the only one. That day I walked 44 holes in a tournament against all cart players. Funny part was afterwards the guy running it offered me a ride, then stopped mid sentence and said, "no wait you always walk and laughed."

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

If you know a member at my course they can call and give you one of their complimentary rounds and then you can walk for free or pay $20 for a cart so I just walk, also a good way to stay in tournament shape. The only times I ride are during rounds with my grandfather and when it's just too hot, Texas will do that to you.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 4 weeks later...

I got out and played as a walking single at the Napa Muni yesterday. Teed off at 2 and was done by 4:30. Saw one other group of two walking. Gave them a little head nod as we passed on adjacent fairways.

I've also decided to ditch my pull cart and carry which I haven't done for close to 15 years. Feeling it a little more today :)

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I've been lazy recently riding in a cart. My right hip/groin has been a little sore the past few weeks. I've been working too much recently and sitting in a damn chair at the computer. That kind of lifestyle is a killer in more ways than one. At any age. I told the guys in my Saturday game the other day I'd be walking again this next weekend. The weather has been fantastic.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Yes when conditions are right as many have mentioned already. Walking allows for time between shots too cool off plus all of your clubs are with you. Are many times when riding do we end up with the wrong club even when we grabbed 2 or 3 from the cart but when we get to the ball we find that something else might work better? I hated when that happens.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

I'm a weekday afternoon player because I have to walk my dog every morning.

I'm sixty-nine, and one good walk each day is enough.

Without carts, I'm not sure that I could play except for the little pitch and putt course.

I always walked the course in younger days, however.  It's probably the better way to play.

About 6 months ago, I was diagnosed with overstretched tendons around my left ankle.  In order to golf and walk, I must wear a very extensive ankle brace.  So walking 9 on the golf course is no longer a viable option.  However, I have visions of me in my 30's, carrying a sunday bag walking the country club in Winnfield LA.  I really enjoyed walking that course.  Other than that, the weather in FL is mostly too hot to walk.  So why did they build two courses in Central FL (Streamsong) that are designed to be walk only?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Foz, because that is the trend for the new courses these days. Streamsong is not walk only; they have carts available at certain times of the day but you have to have a forecaddie.  Bandon Dunes and  Chambers Bay are the same but no carts except for handicapped players.  It's their way to ensure that you experience the way golf was meant to be played, by walking.  Oh and they want you to have caddies that cost you $50/bag +tip.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Foz, because that is the trend for the new courses these days. Streamsong is not walk only; they have carts available at certain times of the day but you have to have a forecaddie.  Bandon Dunes and  Chambers Bay are the same but no carts except for handicapped players.  It's their way to ensure that you experience the way golf was meant to be played, by walking.  Oh and they want you to have caddies that cost you $50/bag +tip.

Up here, both Cabot courses are like that. A great concept, if we all shared the ability to walk, but to exclude those with physical limitations, is hardly equitable. The experience can be shared, and you can smell the roses, just as well from the comfort of a cart seat.

I've been lazy recently riding in a cart. My right hip/groin has been a little sore the past few weeks. I've been working too much recently and sitting in a damn chair at the computer. That kind of lifestyle is a killer in more ways than one. At any age. I told the guys in my Saturday game the other day I'd be walking again this next weekend. The weather has been fantastic.

Once I started working full-time as a television editor is when I stop playing golf. And yes, it was long days sitting in front of computer monitors. A quit that job last year to be a full-time dad to my 3 girls and between them and walking the course, I am getting much more exercise.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I typically walk whenever I play u less the cart is included in the green fee. I use a 3 wheeled push cart.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Next time I go to Bandon I'm bringing a fake doctors note of some kind. I walked 3 courses when I was there including the par 3 which had just opened. You'd better be in good shape to walk several days there. The ground is hard as can be and hard on your feet. I wore two different pair of golf shoes both with flat soles. No spikes. I blame it on Bandon (which is an awesome place) for me getting plantar fasciitis in my right foot. LOL

Also next time I go I'm taking Kenny with me so I can get that $50 deal on a caddy. My caddy was $100 !!  including a tip. Ouch.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Next time I go to Bandon I'm bringing a fake doctors note of some kind. I walked 3 courses when I was there including the par 3 which had just opened. You'd better be in good shape to walk several days there. The ground is hard as can be and hard on your feet. I wore two different pair of golf shoes both with flat soles. No spikes. I blame it on Bandon (which is an awesome place) for me getting plantar fasciitis in my right foot. LOL

Also next time I go I'm taking Kenny with me so I can get that $50 deal on a caddy. My caddy was $100 !!  including a tip. Ouch.

PJ, I was being generic on the caddie fee across all courses.  I think I paid $100 to my caddie including tip at Bandon, and that was back in 2010.  Now for me, I have to double that because my wife had her caddy too at $100.  Ouch indeed!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yeah Kenny. Our caddies double bagged which was fine. But with tip we still paid $100 each! Bandon was a great experience I thought. I'd probably go back some day but I still have quite a few other places to get checked off my list. We're thinking of going to Kohler this next September. If we do we're going to slip over to Erin Hills also. Kohler's a pricey proposition as well. I've still never played around the Monterey area or down around San Diego. So many courses and so little time. 

Sometimes the frugal side of me says to skip some of these expensive venues. Like you I've played many great courses that were pretty pricey. Afterwards, sometimes I think, "that's it?". I played many other non-famous but noted courses and thought they were great and perhaps just as good if not better in some ways. Since I'm kind of Jacking the thread I'll add.... when I travel I usually don't walk. Bandon aside.