Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Riding vs. Walking

deejaid

Riding vs. Walking  

67 members have voted

1. 1. When allowed, do you prefer riding or walking the course?

• riding
    • walking

I think a big part of golf is walking.  That's what makes it a sport IMHO.  Carts make it too easy to over drink, screw off on your cellphone, talk on your cellphone, drive to places you wouldn't go when walking, and to otherwise distract you from actually playing golf.  When I walk I am razor focused, and use that time between shots, walking to the next one to visualize how I am going to hit the next shot.  I can't do that in a cart, especially when I am playing with a buddy.

Also, and this goes without saying, walking on the golf course is about the only exercise I get these days so I like to take advantage of it when I can.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I used to walk much more, and got out of the habit this year.  My home club has a LOT of up and down, and some long walks from green to tee, and I just wasn't enjoying walking and carrying my bag.  So I bought myself a motorized trolley, a QOD, and since about September have walked almost every round.  The QOD isn't cheap, but it'll pay off over less than a year of cart fees.  I'm really happy I've made the change, gotta make sure I get back to it when golf starts up again in the spring.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I would love to walk the course, but my health issues will not let me.    It is upsetting to me that I call the course even to see if its CPO.  However, on those occasions when I am given a handicap flag, I often hear my buds say, "I'll ride with Wahoo".   To those that walk the course, I genuinely say enjoy it but more importantly be glad that you can.   And ask that you understand that there of those of us that truly love and enjoy the game but must recognize our limitations.  

My New Years resolution is to start walking 9 holes a week. Bayou is a tough walk BTW - big gap between 7 and 8 and again 8 and 9.

This will cause me to play more golf which is a good thing IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Only once per week? ;-)

Joking .. good on ya, Rev! I'm with others that prefer to walk whenever possible - I definitely play better when I do (more "into" the rhythm of the game) and feel it's the way golf is really meant to be played.

But as Wahoo said - better to be out there in a cart vs not at all.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Remember that I live in Florida - it’s easy to walk now - 9 holes in July? In 110 heat index weather? That’s another matter.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 minutes ago, revkev said:

Remember that I live in Florida - it’s easy to walk now - 9 holes in July? In 110 heat index weather? That’s another matter.

That's our off season.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I only walk, you will enjoy it. I'm not one who says you play better but some might, I think it just depends on the player. Some people don't understand walking while playing and I think..... It's just walking! We do it all day everyday. It's an easy way to get in some exercise. It's a very easy goal to set and accomplish! Good luck

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I'd love to walk. I definitely need the exercise. However, most of the courses I end up playing restrict it.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Serious question: Those of you that walk only.... what do you do for a living?
I'm on my feet for 10 -12 hours a day, and 50% of the year 5 hours on Saturday... on concrete. I'll take the cart, please.

Good point. I'm an old retired fart but when I was working i was in a chair at a desk for waaaaay tooooo many hours per day (so years of accumulated osteoarthritic problems...). So weekends I had to be up and moving!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

I'm old and retired.  Most of my golf life I have done some walking, except for the last couple of years before my knee replacement.  It hurt too much to walk, and I didn't play very good golf.  Now I have other pain issues, but I walk 18 holes once of twice a week all year long.  The other days I play when my wife is with me, we ride.  She said a few weeks ago that she would like to start walking again.  She stopped walking after her knee replacement and never started again.  

Our front nine is a much tougher walk than the back nine; big hills to climb from #3 green to #4 tee and from #8 green to #9 tee.  The problem is that after getting a cart for the front nine, we would have to return it and get the push carts out of the car; change over everything.  Not very convenient when making the turn.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Our front nine is a much tougher walk than the back nine; big hills to climb from #3 green to #4 tee and from #8 green to #9 tee.  The problem is that after getting a cart for the front nine, we would have to return it and get the push carts out of the car; change over everything.  Not very convenient when making the turn.

I play a similarly hilly course, its about 220 feet vertical (based on Google Earth) from our practice tee to the middle of the 3rd fairway.  Its about the same from 9 tee to 13 tee.  This is one reason I ended up with the motorized trolley, I struggled carrying my bag, and even pushing a regular trolley would be quite a strain.  Once I removed the responsibility to propel my clubs to the top, it became manageable.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I much prefer to walk a course with my bag cart.  I have better focus on the game/forthcoming shot and score better than when riding in a cart.  This is particularly the case when riding with someone I've not played/shared a cart with before.  It's often worse when someone else is driving and our games take us to opposing sides of the fairway, etc.  Zigzagging all over the place and grabbing extra clubs when one takes the cart around the approach area just dosen't do it for me.  What say you?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I always ride and see no exceptions for me any time soon. Even while riding, I get very run down by the end of a round, so if I were to be humping my full DLX around all day, my game would suffer a ton. Even when going out as a single, I'll have my own cart since I think it help speed up the game a bit and allow me more flexibility. We always have 2 carts when my scramble group plays and indeed there are times where we zig-zag around or grab extra clubs out to let the other person go, but to me that's just the bed we made.

FYI, I believe there was a thread on this out there, but it is always an interesting subject, thanks!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I like walking an out of sequence* 9 in the spring and fall when it's a bit cooler and less humid. On occasion I'll walk the full 18 same time of year but the issue with our course is that it is spread out and total distance is 8 miles. Otherwise I use my cart especially when playing with my friends.

* I play the holes that are closest to my house - starting on 18 (tee box is adjacent to my house) then going to 10,8, 12, 13,14,15,16 and finish on 17 (the green to close to my house) . FYI I always do this during the week when the course is empty.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

... I have probably mentioned this before but when booking rounds with Golfnow and Teeoff.com I often book a round with a cart but still walk because most times the discount rate with a cart is lower than the walking rate at the course. Additionally when I am forced to ride on a mountain or resort course where green to tee's are very long, I will often ask my pard if they do not mind if I walk on the course. They are usually happy to take the cart, go hit their shot then meet me at my ball where I am usually waiting. When I play with my wife or my son and we are forced to take a cart, we just alternate every hole with one of us walking and the other riding. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I prefer walking as I find it easier to walk directly to the ball instead of for example, following the cart only rule or when you're near the green. And I find that it is more stimulating in the golf sense than riding. Does that make sense? It's like you're more connected to the game than hit, jump on the cart, ride, get out, hit, get in, ride... and so on. I find that walking gives me a chance to analyze the next shot and surroundings as I'm walking up to the ball. Plus, I love music and I love listening to it as I'm walking between shots. 

Edited by Har in the Hat
Additional info

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

On 12/14/2018 at 6:42 PM, silver & black said:

Serious question: Those of you that walk only.... what do you do for a living?

I'm on my feet for 10 -12 hours a day, and 50% of the year 5 hours on Saturday... on concrete. I'll take the cart, please.

I'm the exact opposite!  My typical work week consists of sitting at a computer 95% of the time.  I began walking many years ago as a result.  I'm not a big "work-out" guy.  My body is pretty banged up from growing up helping my grandfather run a farm and spending 8 years in the military.  That level of impact on the body takes a toll as you age.

Walking allows me to get regular exercise doing something I enjoy while being relatively low-impact.  

10 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

I prefer walking as I find it easier to walk directly to the ball instead of for example, following the cart only rule or when you're near the green. And I find that it is more stimulating in the golf sense than riding. Does that make sense? It's like you're more connected to the game than hit, jump on the cart, ride, get out, hit, get in, ride... and so on. I find that walking gives me a chance to analyze the next shot and surroundings as I'm walking up to the ball. Plus, I love music and I love listening to it as I'm walking between shots. 

Exactly.  Hopefully one or more of the courses we next July will allow walking 👍.

I'm walking with my push cart every chance I get for as long as I can.  Keep moving or start rusting!

I used to walk much more, and got out of the habit this year.  My home club has a LOT of up and down, and some long walks from green to tee, and I just wasn't enjoying walking and carrying my bag.  So I bought myself a motorized trolley, a QOD, and since about September have walked almost every round.  The QOD isn't cheap, but it'll pay off over less than a year of cart fees.  I'm really happy I've made the change, gotta make sure I get back to it when golf starts up again in the spring.
FYI, and also posted this in "Deals", today 12-17 you can get a QOD for $997 (full price $1,599)...
https://qodgolfusa.com/products/electric-golf-caddy-2018

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

9 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

FYI, and also posted this in "Deals", today 12-17 you can get a QOD for $997 (full price $1,599)...

... Great deal. I have a remote cart and it is almost like having a caddy. I have had a remote cart since 95 after my first back surgery but unfortunately early in their development QC was pretty bad, and all of them fell apart sooner rather than later with 3 of the companies going out of business. I bought a non remote Mottocaddy S1 several years ago and after a season of use I was very pleased with their quality so I bought a remote S7 and gave the S1 to the Mrs. Last year she bought me a Navigator Gyro for Christmas and while it is expensive, it holds its line no mater the terrain. This was alway a pet peeve of mine that remote carts usually needed constant adjustments as they tended to wander to either side but the Gyro is very straight. And when you play 150-200 rounds a year, it pays for itself in less than one season. 

I always walk for the exercise but always use a push cart to avoid back problems down the road. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Thanks for the link, although when I went there I got a price of $1247, which I think is what I paid.  At that time, the price included three of the accessories, a list-price value of up to about $100.  At that price, I think its a reasonably good value, at $997 its an amazing value.  As for its durability, ask me in a cople of years.  I'm just happy to be back walking.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I generally try to walk, I enjoy the exercise. That said, there are definitely some resort courses where it isn't even a remotely feasible endeavor to attempt. I remember a Golf Digest article from the late 90s (98 or 99 probably) that stated that they had reviewed the scoring averages for a set of golfers for 3 different types of rounds.

1. Rounds walking

2. Rounds riding in a cart

3. Rounds with a Caddie

From what I remember(from an article 20 years ago) was that walking was in general 1-2 strokes better for your score (hdcp depending) than riding in a cart, and having a caddie made it another stroke or so better from that. For that reason, I have always tried to walk when in a tournament. 

But* if my cardio wasn't up to it I am sure walking would definitely add strokes. So with all things in life, I guess the answer just depends on the person as to what helps them play.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Thanks for the link, although when I went there I got a price of $1247, which I think is what I paid.  At that time, the price included three of the accessories, a list-price value of up to about $100.  At that price, I think its a reasonably good value, at $997 its an amazing value.  As for its durability, ask me in a cople of years.  I'm just happy to be back walking.
Supposedly discount was applied at checkout, or you could enter code "Santa18". Anyway, I hesitated / procrastinated ... Gonna do more research into different models before investing (plus my wife thinks I should keep pushing my own cart until I'm 70!).

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

5 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:
19 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Supposedly discount was applied at checkout, or you could enter code "Santa18". Anyway, I hesitated / procrastinated ... Gonna do more research into different models before investing (plus my wife thinks I should keep pushing my own cart until I'm 70!).

... Sounds like my wife LOL. When I bought another remote controlled cart and gave her my non remote Mottocaddy S1, she did not want to use it saying she would rather push because she is a fitness nut. But after several rounds with the S1, I could not pry it away from her as she still gets the benefits of walking without the strain on her shoulders from pushing. Duh, why didn't I think of that. 😂