deejaid

Riding vs. Walking

Riding vs. Walking  

50 members have voted

1. 1. When allowed, do you prefer riding or walking the course?

• riding
    • walking

Prefer to walk no matter what but push cart is a necessity. Too much strain on the back carrying unless the track is flat

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Serious question: Those of you that walk only.... what do you do for a living?
I'm on my feet for 10 -12 hours a day, and 50% of the year 5 hours on Saturday... on concrete. I'll take the cart, please.

Good point. I'm an old retired fart but when I was working i was in a chair at a desk for waaaaay tooooo many hours per day (so years of accumulated osteoarthritic problems...). So weekends I had to be up and moving!
  • Like 3

I'm old and retired.  Most of my golf life I have done some walking, except for the last couple of years before my knee replacement.  It hurt too much to walk, and I didn't play very good golf.  Now I have other pain issues, but I walk 18 holes once of twice a week all year long.  The other days I play when my wife is with me, we ride.  She said a few weeks ago that she would like to start walking again.  She stopped walking after her knee replacement and never started again.  

Our front nine is a much tougher walk than the back nine; big hills to climb from #3 green to #4 tee and from #8 green to #9 tee.  The problem is that after getting a cart for the front nine, we would have to return it and get the push carts out of the car; change over everything.  Not very convenient when making the turn.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Our front nine is a much tougher walk than the back nine; big hills to climb from #3 green to #4 tee and from #8 green to #9 tee.  The problem is that after getting a cart for the front nine, we would have to return it and get the push carts out of the car; change over everything.  Not very convenient when making the turn.

I play a similarly hilly course, its about 220 feet vertical (based on Google Earth) from our practice tee to the middle of the 3rd fairway.  Its about the same from 9 tee to 13 tee.  This is one reason I ended up with the motorized trolley, I struggled carrying my bag, and even pushing a regular trolley would be quite a strain.  Once I removed the responsibility to propel my clubs to the top, it became manageable.

• Like 3

I much prefer to walk a course with my bag cart.  I have better focus on the game/forthcoming shot and score better than when riding in a cart.  This is particularly the case when riding with someone I've not played/shared a cart with before.  It's often worse when someone else is driving and our games take us to opposing sides of the fairway, etc.  Zigzagging all over the place and grabbing extra clubs when one takes the cart around the approach area just dosen't do it for me.  What say you?

• Like 3

I always ride and see no exceptions for me any time soon. Even while riding, I get very run down by the end of a round, so if I were to be humping my full DLX around all day, my game would suffer a ton. Even when going out as a single, I'll have my own cart since I think it help speed up the game a bit and allow me more flexibility. We always have 2 carts when my scramble group plays and indeed there are times where we zig-zag around or grab extra clubs out to let the other person go, but to me that's just the bed we made.

FYI, I believe there was a thread on this out there, but it is always an interesting subject, thanks!

• Like 1

I like walking an out of sequence* 9 in the spring and fall when it's a bit cooler and less humid. On occasion I'll walk the full 18 same time of year but the issue with our course is that it is spread out and total distance is 8 miles. Otherwise I use my cart especially when playing with my friends.

* I play the holes that are closest to my house - starting on 18 (tee box is adjacent to my house) then going to 10,8, 12, 13,14,15,16 and finish on 17 (the green to close to my house) . FYI I always do this during the week when the course is empty.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

... I have probably mentioned this before but when booking rounds with Golfnow and Teeoff.com I often book a round with a cart but still walk because most times the discount rate with a cart is lower than the walking rate at the course. Additionally when I am forced to ride on a mountain or resort course where green to tee's are very long, I will often ask my pard if they do not mind if I walk on the course. They are usually happy to take the cart, go hit their shot then meet me at my ball where I am usually waiting. When I play with my wife or my son and we are forced to take a cart, we just alternate every hole with one of us walking and the other riding. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 7

I prefer walking as I find it easier to walk directly to the ball instead of for example, following the cart only rule or when you're near the green. And I find that it is more stimulating in the golf sense than riding. Does that make sense? It's like you're more connected to the game than hit, jump on the cart, ride, get out, hit, get in, ride... and so on. I find that walking gives me a chance to analyze the next shot and surroundings as I'm walking up to the ball. Plus, I love music and I love listening to it as I'm walking between shots. 

Edited by Har in the Hat
Additional info
  • Like 2

On 12/14/2018 at 6:42 PM, silver & black said:

Serious question: Those of you that walk only.... what do you do for a living?

I'm on my feet for 10 -12 hours a day, and 50% of the year 5 hours on Saturday... on concrete. I'll take the cart, please.

I'm the exact opposite!  My typical work week consists of sitting at a computer 95% of the time.  I began walking many years ago as a result.  I'm not a big "work-out" guy.  My body is pretty banged up from growing up helping my grandfather run a farm and spending 8 years in the military.  That level of impact on the body takes a toll as you age.

Walking allows me to get regular exercise doing something I enjoy while being relatively low-impact.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

I prefer walking as I find it easier to walk directly to the ball instead of for example, following the cart only rule or when you're near the green. And I find that it is more stimulating in the golf sense than riding. Does that make sense? It's like you're more connected to the game than hit, jump on the cart, ride, get out, hit, get in, ride... and so on. I find that walking gives me a chance to analyze the next shot and surroundings as I'm walking up to the ball. Plus, I love music and I love listening to it as I'm walking between shots. 

Exactly.  Hopefully one or more of the courses we next July will allow walking 👍.

I used to walk much more, and got out of the habit this year.  My home club has a LOT of up and down, and some long walks from green to tee, and I just wasn't enjoying walking and carrying my bag.  So I bought myself a motorized trolley, a QOD, and since about September have walked almost every round.  The QOD isn't cheap, but it'll pay off over less than a year of cart fees.  I'm really happy I've made the change, gotta make sure I get back to it when golf starts up again in the spring.
FYI, and also posted this in "Deals", today 12-17 you can get a QOD for $997 (full price $1,599)...
https://qodgolfusa.com/products/electric-golf-caddy-2018
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

FYI, and also posted this in "Deals", today 12-17 you can get a QOD for $997 (full price $1,599)...

... Great deal. I have a remote cart and it is almost like having a caddy. I have had a remote cart since 95 after my first back surgery but unfortunately early in their development QC was pretty bad, and all of them fell apart sooner rather than later with 3 of the companies going out of business. I bought a non remote Mottocaddy S1 several years ago and after a season of use I was very pleased with their quality so I bought a remote S7 and gave the S1 to the Mrs. Last year she bought me a Navigator Gyro for Christmas and while it is expensive, it holds its line no mater the terrain. This was alway a pet peeve of mine that remote carts usually needed constant adjustments as they tended to wander to either side but the Gyro is very straight. And when you play 150-200 rounds a year, it pays for itself in less than one season. 

• Like 3

I always walk for the exercise but always use a push cart to avoid back problems down the road. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Thanks for the link, although when I went there I got a price of $1247, which I think is what I paid.  At that time, the price included three of the accessories, a list-price value of up to about $100.  At that price, I think its a reasonably good value, at $997 its an amazing value.  As for its durability, ask me in a cople of years.  I'm just happy to be back walking.

• Like 2

I generally try to walk, I enjoy the exercise. That said, there are definitely some resort courses where it isn't even a remotely feasible endeavor to attempt. I remember a Golf Digest article from the late 90s (98 or 99 probably) that stated that they had reviewed the scoring averages for a set of golfers for 3 different types of rounds.

1. Rounds walking

2. Rounds riding in a cart

3. Rounds with a Caddie

From what I remember(from an article 20 years ago) was that walking was in general 1-2 strokes better for your score (hdcp depending) than riding in a cart, and having a caddie made it another stroke or so better from that. For that reason, I have always tried to walk when in a tournament. 

But* if my cardio wasn't up to it I am sure walking would definitely add strokes. So with all things in life, I guess the answer just depends on the person as to what helps them play.

• Like 4

Thanks for the link, although when I went there I got a price of $1247, which I think is what I paid.  At that time, the price included three of the accessories, a list-price value of up to about $100.  At that price, I think its a reasonably good value, at $997 its an amazing value.  As for its durability, ask me in a cople of years.  I'm just happy to be back walking.
Supposedly discount was applied at checkout, or you could enter code "Santa18". Anyway, I hesitated / procrastinated ... Gonna do more research into different models before investing (plus my wife thinks I should keep pushing my own cart until I'm 70!).

5 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:
19 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Supposedly discount was applied at checkout, or you could enter code "Santa18". Anyway, I hesitated / procrastinated ... Gonna do more research into different models before investing (plus my wife thinks I should keep pushing my own cart until I'm 70!).

... Sounds like my wife LOL. When I bought another remote controlled cart and gave her my non remote Mottocaddy S1, she did not want to use it saying she would rather push because she is a fitness nut. But after several rounds with the S1, I could not pry it away from her as she still gets the benefits of walking without the strain on her shoulders from pushing. Duh, why didn't I think of that. 😂

• Like 2