GolfSpy Barbajo

A Weekend With the Wilson Staff D7's

Good stuff.

I never understood however a golf company could send someone a set of irons without making sure the specs were the best fit possible.

• Like 4

As mentioned in the Wilson ball thread, I got to spend the weekend in Tampa playing golf with Foz. Brought the demo set of Wilson Staff D7 irons to try - here are a few thoughts.
1. They are long - the lofts are strong (28* 7-iron), but they go long with a nice high flight. 
2. They fly really, really high.
3. The soles are pretty wide - a good bit wider than Foz's Cobra F8 irons. Definitely in the Super Game Improvement category.
4. Top line is thicker as well - Wilson did a decent job of softening the look, but as it says above, it's a Super Game Improvement iron.
5. They're long. Did I mention they're long? They're long.
6. And they fly high. Really high. 
7. How high? So high that I had more plugged shots on the green, fringe and fairway with these irons in 3 rounds than I've had in the past ten years. Yeah, it rained a lot, but these things would drop straight down. Crazy. 
8. The shafts they sent me were regular flex, KBS Tour 80's - not anywhere close to fit for me. I usually play a C-Taper, so these were whippy and very soft in the tip, by comparison, which no doubt played a huge role in how high these flew. I mean high...
9. I'd be very interested to see how these perform in a slightly more stout shaft - maybe a  C-Taper Lite. 
10. Feel-wise, they really felt nice with on-center strikes---similar to the PING G-400. One other thing - you did get enough feedback when you hit it heel or toe, so off-center hits felt noticeably different. Which is good. 
11. I know people may have feelings about the Power Holes, but I gotta tell you. After 54 holes of golf, they never once bothered me at address or during the swing, because they're on the freaking bottom of the club. 
12. You could notice the flange at address, even with the wedges. Not horrible, but noticeable. But then again, if you're the tuype of player who doesn't like to see a flange at address, you're probably not the target market for these clubs. 
13: Who is the target market? Honestly, anyone with a 10 handicap or over who wants a little more distance and doesn't mind the look, it's a solid iron. I'm a 6 (but trending in the wrong direction) and I could see these in my bag until I get my ball striking grooved.  I like the feel (even though they're not forged) and they go far. Can't really talk about precision for two reasons - one is that these were my first rounds in over a month, and the other is those shafts really weren't right for me. Whenever I tried to give it a bit more oomph, nothing good happened. If I went with an easier swing and more club, results were better, although the left was in play a lot. 
14. They go high. Did I mention that?

Any questions?

GSB
How is the “quality” of these irons compared to the rest of the market?
I’m asking because I observed some plate issues on other Wilson clubs that were Demos.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Good stuff.

I never understood however a golf company could send someone a set of irons without making sure the specs were the best fit possible.

I’d cut Wilson a little slack - they get sample sets to us for pictures and initial impressions. They sent me what they had in their same supply. They’re not actually coming out to be in stores until mid January. That’s one of the differences between one of the Big 5 and the challenger brands. They do what they can...

• Like 5

GSB
How is the “quality” of these irons compared to the rest of the market?
I’m asking because I observed some plate issues on other Wilson clubs that were Demos.

As for quality - they seem fine. Several range sessions and three rounds over the weekend and no problems. They’ve gone easy in the badging so I don’t know if these will have any issues. But they held up just fine and the feel of them certainly isn’t cheap.

• Like 3

Well if you don’t like that particular shaft I do know someone whom it would fit. Just saying... :)

• Like 7

As for quality - they seem fine. Several range sessions and three rounds over the weekend and no problems. They’ve gone easy in the badging so I don’t know if these will have any issues. But they held up just fine and the feel of them certainly isn’t cheap.

K, sounds good. Now to find LH to Demo!

• Like 2

JB was correct......the D7’s flew very high. I am the golfer that doesn’t get the height that others get so I would probably be a good candidate.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

13 hours ago, fozcycle said:

JB was correct......the D7’s flew very high. I am the golfer that doesn’t get the height that others get so I would probably be a good candidate.

Great to see you back on the forums Foz!!  

• Like 2

Great to see you back on the forums Foz!!  

The golfathon with GolfSpy_Barbajo was my last untiI I recuperate from eye surgery soIll be ho e surfing the Forum as my vision returns.....still blurry.

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, fozcycle said:

The golfathon with GolfSpy_Barbajo was my last untiI I recuperate from eye surgery soIll be ho e surfing the Forum as my vision returns.....still blurry.

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Great to have spent the weekend with you Foz - really appreciate the friendship and the golf. Hope your surgery went well and that you'll be back better than ever soon!

• Like 3