Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Par 5's in 2

Do you guys go for par 5's in two if you think you can make it?

I'm about a 3 handicap and I rarely do, but then again a lot of the courses I play have either no par 5's or dog legs, so it doesn't make much sense.

I do, but then again, I'm a 20's handicap, and for me it's "go big or go home", and I'm not competitive... for me it's all about fun, and enjoying myself...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Depends on certain factors, particularly my confidence in the club I have in my hand.

Usually I go for it because statistics show that golfers are better off going for par 5's in two than laying up. But if you really don't have that shot or think it's a 1 in 10 chance of not going into the hazard, then lay up.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

Yes and no. It all depends on what distance I am sitting at, what the conditions are and how well I have been hitting the ball that day. If I feel confident that I can make a good enough shot to get it there or be around the green then I will go for it, but if I get the gut feeling to lay up and take a wedge in then I'll play that option.

Obviously lots of things come into play (distance, hazards, confidence, etc), but, generally, I go for it. I'm not super long, so the chance to make eagles is pretty rare and I want to give myself as many opportunities as possible. Making an eagle, for me, makes my round and probably my week. I can still recall every shot of my first one. That memory is definitely worth the handful of times I hit my "go for it" shot into some trouble.

Now, if I were on tour, I'd lay up every time. <_>

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Also a 20 here, so yes, I go for it at every chance I can get, and yes, a dozen balls lost on a course is not out of the question either. I have worked pretty hard over the past few years going from the low 100s to the high 80s, but I still go for it every chance I get!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

I want to, but I am doing my best to "play smart". On most of the long par fives I am trying to get to the 100/150 marker in 2. Less doubles that way for me.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I am playing smarter than I ever have before, but sometimes, I just can't help myself, especially if I hit that one in a million shot earlier, the rest of the day is a lesson of what not to do!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I will try to knock it on even if I have absolutely no chance. Unless I am in a tournament, I play for kicks, and laying up sucks.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

You guys are not helping. That and UPS is bringing the new Exotics 3W today. With that I should be able to reach in two, right? Boom it!

Then hopefully not get pissed when I miss long. :D

Volvo Intorqueo

I always have a hard time findig a 3-wood I truly like. But I do like the new Exotics and Nike 3-woods. Let us know how that Exotics works out.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I always have a hard time findig a 3-wood I truly like. But I do like the new Exotics and Nike 3-woods. Let us know how that Exotics works out.

I know how you feel. I've never found the perfect 3-wood. I have a Nike DYMO, and it's OK but not great.

• SPY VIP

3JACK

Very solid on the range today. On course tomorrow. I think that I will be parting with a Mizuno F-60 if anyone is looking. :angry:

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I hope you didn't just jinx yourself. Maybe we'll see the Tour Edge in the classifieds. :P

Exotics was a champ. Only hit it twice. Once from the turf and once from a tee, for fun. Like the sound and I can see myself really getting into using it in numerous situations.

Buddy checked it out where we were getting started. Swung it a bit and his first response was "This feels powerful."

Volvo Intorqueo

ike any other hole u have to figure how ur game will benefit best by playing that way. I played at a course where 3 of the 4 holes were reachable so drivers 4 wood everytime or less to get on but that fourth one was a tru three shot hole so see how driver was doing that good then use if not play 4 wood off tee than another one toa 100 yar lay up or driver then like a5-6 iron to 100 yard lay up so play smart if u been hitting ur 150 club all day close then lay up to that but if it is going to take u 3 shots to get on then play smart and do what u do best basically on that and try to make sure it is one of the shots!!!!!!!!

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

Exotics was a champ. Only hit it twice. Once from the turf and once from a tee, for fun. Like the sound and I can see myself really getting into using it in numerous situations.

Buddy checked it out where we were getting started. Swung it a bit and his first response was "This feels powerful."

Glad to hear it worked out! Did it get you home in 2 when you hit it off the turf?

• SPY VIP

Glad to hear it worked out! Did it get you home in 2 when you hit it off the turf?

Nah, still a bit short. Longer hole though and I know I didn't get all of it. Did feel like it may have been possible though. Especially on warm dry summer days.

Volvo Intorqueo

I always go for two and aim for the middle of the green unless there is water involved and then I lay up.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I always go for two and aim for the middle of the green unless there is water involved and then I lay up.

chicken.... :)

J/K

Smart to layup if you have doubts.. I am not the smartest guy on the golf course, so no need to layup.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

J/K

Smart to layup if you have doubts.. I am not the smartest guy on the golf course, so no need to layup.

I have added this to my goal list. Don't play quite as smart.

Although right now I am Par 5 in 7

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Why? That's a pretty solid club.

New Exotics 3W seems a better fit. I like the slightly larger head and shallower face. that and it's titanium cannonness

Volvo Intorqueo

New Exotics 3W seems a better fit. I like the slightly larger head and shallower face. that and it's titanium cannonness

Cannonness? Making up your own language now?

The Exotics 3W is supposed to be one of the longest (if not THE longest) fairway woods on the market. Caddiesbag put them on sale a few weeks back and I was extremely tempted.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

J/K

Yeah, I know, and I was giving Rickie Fowler crap on my blog the other day for doing the same thing. I'm such a freaking hypocrite.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Cannonness? Making up your own language now?

The Exotics 3W is supposed to be one of the longest (if not THE longest) fairway woods on the market. Caddiesbag put them on sale a few weeks back and I was extremely tempted.

I demoed the Exotics 3W and did not find it to be any longer (certainly not 20 yards longer) than my V Steel. I did think it was a really nice club and it had some good shaft options (Voodoo), but the claims about distance are a little silly IMO.

Archived