TESTERS WANTED! ×

Par 5's in 2

• SPY VIP

Cannonness? Making up your own language now?

The Exotics 3W is supposed to be one of the longest (if not THE longest) fairway woods on the market. Caddiesbag put them on sale a few weeks back and I was extremely tempted.

130 shipped, got here in 2 days. Not the Voodoo. DVS though.

It's the one in the deal thread...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I demoed the Exotics 3W and did not find it to be any longer (certainly not 20 yards longer) than my V Steel. I did think it was a really nice club and it had some good shaft options (Voodoo), but the claims about distance are a little silly IMO.

No, I agree with you. Twenty yards is pushing it. Just like when somebody claims they got a 50 yard gain due to a ball switch (which is something I think I read in one of the other threads).

I've just heard feedback from a few guys that play that club that believe its a beast.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

130 shipped, got here in 2 days. Not the Voodoo. DVS though.

It's the one in the deal thread...

Yeah, on sale again right now on Caddiesbag for the same price. That's a really good deal on that club.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

No, I agree with you. Twenty yards is pushing it. Just like when somebody claims they got a 50 yard gain due to a ball switch (which is something I think I read in one of the other threads).

I've just heard feedback from a few guys that play that club that believe its a beast.

Ball gain I buy. I did the bridgestone fitting last summer and the 330rx was about 12 yards longer than the iX for me.

Volvo Intorqueo

Ball gain I buy. I did the bridgestone fitting last summer and the 330rx was about 12 yards longer than the iX for me.

My father gets great distance from Bridgestones too, though I do not, weird.

• SPY VIP

12 yards is really substantial. I'd be interested to try that out, will need to check out the B'stone website.

If you can, find a place where they are doing the ball fitting with the launch monitor. They give you a printout of your ball vs theirs and a 2 ball sleeve of their recommended ball.

At 104 measured SS, I was right about at the 330RX/330S line. Went RX and loved them.

Volvo Intorqueo

I've picked up a few RXs and I think it's a good ball. The thing that I'm amazed by is the fact that they sell so well. I was convinced when I first heard, about the concept, that people's ego would not allow them to buy that ball. I assumed that if they were buying ProVs and the like, they had convinced themselves that they had tour caliber swing speed and needed the performance. Guess I was wrong. Kudos to Bridgestone for taking a chance with something different and succeeding.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 2 weeks later...

I have a really hard time hitting fairway woods off the turf when the fairways aren't plush (dead, wilted, barren, etc)

I usually pull my Cobra 2H and try to get a ball as close as possible to the green. I get about 220 out of the Cobra. Which is usually enough to get on or close to most of the par 5s I play from the blue (mid tees) If I'm playing a 500+ yd par 5, it puts me in the 50-85 yd range and the strength of my game is my wedges. So I pretty much always step on the gas on par 5s.

If it's an iron, yep, always. Any further depends on how I'm hitting it, and what I'm having to hit over and around. If forced to I try to lay up to 90 short, my fav yardage. I'll back myself to get up and down for birdie anyway.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

• 2 weeks later...

I will go for the green in two whenever I have the chance to, I feel more comfortable from 50-70 yards out than I do laying up to 100-110. So I always try and get the ball as close to the green as possible in two shots.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

• 1 month later...

I'm a pretty long hitter, so I can pretty much reach any par 5 in 2, as long as it's under 615yds (longest par 5 I've reached in 2). This is my thought process....I look at pin position, undulation of the green, and what I call the 50yd zone, meaning that if there is any "trouble" within a 50yd radius of the green, I'm laying up. I feel that if I put the ball anywhere between 100-145 and have a sand, gap, or pitching wedge in my hand I'll stick it within 12', so pin placement and undulation usually make my decision; no sense in hitting the green in 2 if I'm going to have an 80' put with 6' of break (which 95% of the time is going to be a 3 putt for me).

Actually have changed my mind, since I am not that great or long of a player, I am using course management now, playing for par, and the birdie oppertunities present themselves.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Actually have changed my mind, since I am not that great or long of a player, I am using course management now, playing for par, and the birdie oppertunities present themselves.

I've started playing this way this season. I used to hit driver every chance possible, but now I've been hitting a lot of hybrid and irons off tees. My scores haven't gotten any better, because my putting is horrible, but my fairway and GIR percentages have went way up.

My last two rounds, I've put away the hybrid for the second shot and hit a mid iron. The scores have not necessarily been great, but the results are better. What I mean is: I have not hit any duffs with the irons the way I occasionally mishit the hybrid, thus the third shot is easier and, on average, closer, than it used to be. This makes the 4th shot easier, etc. Now the key is to hit the third shot consistently on the green and close to the flag.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

When I know I can't reach from the fairway with the 3 iron, I have been dividing the distance in 1/2 and hitting two 8s or 7s, helped me a ton

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I go for it most of the time, depending on if there's trouble in front of the green or not and my position off the tee. I feel its to my advantage to get a short wedge in my hands as soon as possible, I'd prefer that shot to my "favorite" iron distance so unless there's trouble short of the green I try to get as close as I can and have a chance to be on in 2.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• 3 weeks later...

Sure I go for it, I'm usually lucky to be under 240 out, so my 4 wood puts me in the range. I also go for the green off the tee on the 2 short par 4's we have (299 & 279), ussually need a good westerly wind to help !

• 3 months later...

If the 2nd shot is under 195 (which is the distance for my 4 iron) I'll try it, if it's over that I'll lay it up. I just can't hit hybrids nor woods with that accuracy.

Speaking of which, I just realized my 3W, 5W and 2H go the same distance as my 4 iron.

Boy I must be doing something wrong :(

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 3 months later...

I do what is better for my game that day. Meaning if i am playing bad and not playing for money I will go for it. But leaving a 60 plus footer is not good. If i am playing and hitting the ball good I lay up to 105-115, nothing like hitting a wedge to 5 feet or closer.

Do you guys go for par 5's in two if you think you can make it?

I'm about a 3 handicap and I rarely do, but then again a lot of the courses I play have either no par 5's or dog legs, so it doesn't make much sense.

My home course is a very unfair link style course. The par 5 either play long into the wind, another one has no direct short from the fairway. The hardest is the 18th which has water just before the green, water on the most of 150 yards leading to the green, and a few "well placed" pot bunkers on the fairway. I really wish I could reach the green in 2, I have tried but never succeeded.

The only hole where there's a fair chance of reaching in 2, but the 2nd shot is a downhill lie, and I have never been able to hit a 3 wood on downhill lies.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Archived