TESTERS WANTED! ×

A fond farewell to Charlie Rymer from ‘Morning Drive’

STUDque

A6450706-D5D3-4934-9195-E247FA62346A.jpeg

https://golfweek.com/2018/12/16/the-forecaddie-a-fond-farewell-to-charlie-rymer-from-morning-drive/amp/

Check out that link for a nice little story chronicling Charlie Rymer's last episode with Morning Drive. I remember watching the show when Charlie took over for Greg Cassilias and was astounded to read he'd done 1000 episodes. Rymer got on my nerves but that's still a very impressive run; doesn't matter who you are. 

Wonder who they'll replace him with? Gary Williams makes that show what it is so I'm interested to see who they find as the next "color analyst."

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Sad to see him go. While a little quirky with his wit and takes he is a good piece to the MD puzzle. His personality lights up the screen and usually carries the others on set with him.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Rymer will still be an on-air personality for Golf Channel albeit, with a significantly lighter schedule.  The Rymer's are "empty-nesters" and are moving to Myrtle Beach where he is the unofficial mayor.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of Road Trip: Myrtle Beach reboot in the near future. 

I liked Charlie.  I wonder if it was something to do with the GC budget cuts for this next year.  

MD has had several fill-ins for Charlie this past year, but I wasn't thrilled with any of them.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I enjoy the golf channel but mostly for actually watching golf being played. I started noticing a difference when NBC seemed to start putting various new faces on screen. I just guessed that some of those people weren't that up on golf. Just news reader types. I like ole Charlie and wish him well.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Charlie slightly quirky but I like him.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I liked Charlie, He’ll be missed

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Put me in the like Charlie camp

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I liked him too. I agree that he could be quirky but I enjoyed his interviews.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

As a former Player, Rymer was able to provide a realistic viewpoint on the game. I like Charlie as well, sorry to see him go.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

As a former Player, Rymer was able to provide a realistic viewpoint on the game. I like Charlie as well, sorry to see him go.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I enjoyed him on MD and got to watch him interact with people at Demo Day last year at the PGA.   He was very down to earth and generous with his time in talking to relative strangers.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I had forgotten this back a few years back there was a Charity golf show for I believe Wounded Warriors (could be wrong) and he was one of the hosts and off camera he was a good guy, funny, entertaining and mixed well with the crowd.
Expensive Charity gig War Dept and I paid $200.00 just to get our toes wet. Remember this is a Senior Retirement community and “Free Stuff” is the word of the day.

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 12/17/2018 at 8:56 AM, sixcat said:

Rymer will still be an on-air personality for Golf Channel albeit, with a significantly lighter schedule.  The Rymer's are "empty-nesters" and are moving to Myrtle Beach where he is the unofficial mayor.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of Road Trip: Myrtle Beach reboot in the near future. 

Trust me I live in the area and I have heard nothing about Charlie being the "unofficial mayor" of Myrtle Beach. Nothing against him however. Have never met him in person but like him he is after all one of the good old boys originally being from Fort Mill SC which is in the upstate of SC just over the NC line. Maybe I will get to meet him in person.

BTW this comes from the unofficial mayor of  The Garden City Pancake House. That got pinned on me by one of my WRX buddies that visited us recently and a buddy of mine owns the place and he loves it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

9 hours ago, Rickp said:

I had forgotten this back a few years back there was a Charity golf show for I believe Wounded Warriors (could be wrong) and he was one of the hosts and off camera he was a good guy, funny, entertaining and mixed well with the crowd.
Expensive Charity gig War Dept and I paid $200.00 just to get our toes wet. Remember this is a Senior Retirement community and “Free Stuff” is the word of the day.

😁 Trust me "Free Stuff" is getting to be the word of the day around here too

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I liked Charlie....gonna miss him

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Trust me I live in the area and I have heard nothing about Charlie being the "unofficial mayor" of Myrtle Beach. Nothing against him however. Have never met him in person but like him he is after all one of the good old boys originally being from Fort Mill SC which is in the upstate of SC just over the NC line. Maybe I will get to meet him in person.

BTW this comes from the unofficial mayor of  The Garden City Pancake House. That got pinned on me by one of my WRX buddies that visited us recently and a buddy of mine owns the place and he loves it

The “unofficial mayor” comment was a reference to the old Golf Channel show “Road Trip: Myrtle Beach” hosted by Charlie. I envision GC resurrecting a version of that show.

Charlie has also been working with Kelly Tilghman hosting children’s charitable golf events in Myrtle Beach area for a while now.

13 hours ago, sixcat said:

The “unofficial mayor” comment was a reference to the old Golf Channel show “Road Trip: Myrtle Beach” hosted by Charlie. I envision GC resurrecting a version of that show.

Charlie has also been working with Kelly Tilghman hosting children’s charitable golf events in Myrtle Beach area for a while now.

Those charity events with Kelly must be going on up on the North end because I have heard absolutely nothing from Kelly since she left GC. I knew her Dad and met her when she was a kid. But then I will concede I am not really in the mainstream of the golf business here on the beach since we closed the golf shop and I retired from comps etc. The golf business has really changed here in the last 3 years or so. I hardly know anyone in the business anymore. But I would have thought a high profile person like Kelly I would have heard about the events on local media. But then again here when you live here the opposite sides of the beach can be as far apart as Tasmania. I am one of the "southenders" so to speak and Kelly and her family are from North Myrtle Beach. 

But then again knowing the media here they do not tend to promote things golf related unless Dustin Johnson does well in a tournament. LOL if he does not do good you do not hear a peep from the media here. Case in fact I do remember when he opened up his golf school at TPC the GC and Charlie covered it well and not a peep from our local media. And BTW TPC Myrtle Beach is not in Myrtle it is right around the corner from me in Murrells Inlet SC. That is a real sore point amongst us local Southenders. For us to be the self proclaimed golf capital of the world golf sure has some sorry local media support

G

Those charity events with Kelly must be going on up on the North end because I have heard absolutely nothing from Kelly since she left GC. I knew her Dad and met her when she was a kid. But then I will concede I am not really in the mainstream of the golf business here on the beach since we closed the golf shop and I retired from comps etc. The golf business has really changed here in the last 3 years or so. I hardly know anyone in the business anymore. But I would have thought a high profile person like Kelly I would have heard about the events on local media. But then again here when you live here the opposite sides of the beach can be as far apart as Tasmania. I am one of the "southenders" so to speak and Kelly and her family are from North Myrtle Beach. 
But then again knowing the media here they do not tend to promote things golf related unless Dustin Johnson does well in a tournament. LOL if he does not do good you do not hear a peep from the media here. Case in fact I do remember when he opened up his golf school at TPC the GC and Charlie covered it well and not a peep from our local media. And BTW TPC Myrtle Beach is not in Myrtle it is right around the corner from me in Murrells Inlet SC. That is a real sore point amongst us local Southenders. For us to be the self proclaimed golf capital of the world golf sure has some sorry local media support

It’s called the “Mentor Cup” and is a part of Gene’s Dream Foundation. Tidewater Golf Club hosted the inaugural event.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/golf/article220798490.html

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/golf/article223245825.html

2 minutes ago, sixcat said:

It’s called the “Mentor Cup” and is a part of Gene’s Dream Foundation. Tidewater Golf Club hosted the inaugural event.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/golf/article220798490.html

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/golf/article223245825.html

Thanks for the info ----- Honestly I never heard anything about it---- BTW Tidewater is a great course

G

Thanks for the info ----- Honestly I never heard anything about it---- BTW Tidewater is a great course

Your correct about Tidewater, very nice track. When we had our Condo in MB (Surfside Beach) it was one of my favorites.

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 2 weeks later...

I gave Morning Drive a shot this morning for the first time in a very long time. The first thing I heard was Jaime Diaz say “What Tiger is doing is the greatest comeback in golf history, maybe all of sports.”

Look, I get the buzz surrounding Tiger but come on! Ben Hogan came back from near death to win 6 majors! It’s not comparable.

Archived