Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Need a higher Launching Shaft

So I hit my R9 Supertri way to low. It would be great for summer becasue I'd get a ton of roll but in the winter that doesn't cut it. When I was on a LM at my local pro shop I had a SS of 107-109, Ball Speed of 150-155, Launch angle of about 12-13*, and my Spin was about 2900-3200 rpm. I launched my 909D2 higher and had more spin but I lost distance compared to the R9 Supertri. I need a shaft that launches higher than the stock Motore 60. Any suggestions?

I know I should be fitted but the closest quality club fitter is about 2 hours away.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

What is the loft and setting of your current driver??

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

What's wrong with those numbers? The optimum launch angle for a 108 MPH swing is 13.4 degrees with 2600 RPM's backspin. If anything, I'd find a lower spinning, not higher launching shaft. That'd be solved by going up in weight, as that'd bring spin down. Nothing at all, however, is wrong with the launch angle, IMO and in any physics calculation or launch simulator I can find.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Driver loft is 9.5 and set to neutral and weights are 1-16-1. The guy at the pro shop said my LM numbers where great but I just notice I launched it so much lower than my 909D2.

Driver loft is 9.5 and set to neutral and weights are 1-16-1. The guy at the pro shop said my LM numbers where great but I just notice I launched it so much lower than my 909D2.

I think that just looking at your LM #'s, I would suggest a lower spinning shaft as well. Your LA seems about perfect. If you want to launch it higher, then I have no issues with that, you just really need you cut down on the spin. Perhaps try a 10.5 head with a really low spinning shaft, like Whiteboard, Devotion, Rip.... ect. Otherwise, consider Fubuki 63? Mid launch, lower torque, and similar live feel.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

I think that just looking at your LM #'s, I would suggest a lower spinning shaft as well. Your LA seems about perfect. If you want to launch it higher, then I have no issues with that, you just really need you cut down on the spin. Perhaps try a 10.5 head with a really low spinning shaft, like Whiteboard, Devotion, Rip.... ect. Otherwise, consider Fubuki 63? Mid launch, lower torque, and similar live feel.

Trying a 10.5 head went through my mind but I wasn't sure. I did think about trying to find a Fubuki 63 also. This morning I looked at the Supertri and I actually had forgot to get it back to neutral after my buddy set it to 1* open. Could the 1* open make me launch the ball lower?

Trying a 10.5 head went through my mind but I wasn't sure. I did think about trying to find a Fubuki 63 also. This morning I looked at the Supertri and I actually had forgot to get it back to neutral after my buddy set it to 1* open. Could the 1* open make me launch the ball lower?

Yep. Opening the club lowers the loft. Where in NorCal are you??

Ok well I'll set the club back to neutral and take it out to the range, hopefully I'll see and improvement over my last range session. I'm south of Sacramento in the Modesto area.

Take it up to Haggin Oaks and play around with their fitting shafts.. I am guessing that they have just about everything....

Or you could come and see me. I am only 562 miles away.

Yeah I've been to Haggin Oaks plenty of times but I just haven't had the time to drive up there recently. I read where as a NCGA (northern californa golf association) member I get a discounted fitting rate which is regularly like $50 I think.

Yeah I've been to Haggin Oaks plenty of times but I just haven't had the time to drive up there recently. I read where as a NCGA (northern californa golf association) member I get a discounted fitting rate which is regularly like $50 I think.

Good Gravy!!! $50 to get fit? Nuts!!! We don't charge a thing. Ever. To anyone. Come on up.

Yeah to charge for a fitting is kinda crazy unless its like a Titleist Tour Van but I know they also credit the $50 towards store credit so it's really nothing. If Oregon wasn't so far I'd make the drive but Sacramento is a whole lot closer :lol:

Yeah to charge for a fitting is kinda crazy unless its like a Titleist Tour Van but I know they also credit the $50 towards store credit so it's really nothing. If Oregon wasn't so far I'd make the drive but Sacramento is a whole lot closer :lol:

True story. :lol:

Nic what would be the difference between a lighter and heavier shaft? I ask because I launch my 909D2 with the stock voodoo higher and its a 72g shaft as opposed to the stock Motore which is 59g.

All things equal, A heavier shaft will typically go lower than a lighter shaft.. You are comparing 2 different heads and 2 different shafts. I really think that you should look into trying to lower your spin #'s... LA looks really good to me.

So what "should" a lower spinning shaft do differently?

VooDoo for Titleist is mid/high launch where the TM Motore is low/mid. The TM Motore is designed to launch lower than the VooDoo is designed to launch. Nic can give more input, but that's how the shafts are made, the weight has nothing to do with why you launch them differently, it's in their flex points, the VooDoo's being more toward the tip and the Motore's being more toward the butt. Butt being stiffer means lower launching.

The only time weight means anything is when you're comparing the same shaft at different weights. Example, you have X shaft at 60 grams and an identical one at 80 grams, all things being equal, the heavier one of the same shaft will launch lower.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

So what "should" a lower spinning shaft do differently?

Bring the backspin down and keep it from ballooning and fighting ball flight laws. You'll see a little more carry and a lot more roll because the ball won't fight itself at the end of it's flight. Reason I said a heavier shaft earlier was because the same shaft at a heavier weight would keep launch virtually the same but cut down backspin.

In The Bag

VooDoo for Titleist is mid/high launch where the TM Motore is low/mid. The TM Motore is designed to launch lower than the VooDoo is designed to launch. Nic can give more input, but that's how the shafts are made, the weight has nothing to do with why you launch them differently, it's in their flex points, the VooDoo's being more toward the tip and the Motore's being more toward the butt. Butt being stiffer means lower launching.

The only time weight means anything is when you're comparing the same shaft at different weights. Example, you have X shaft at 60 grams and an identical one at 80 grams, all things being equal, the heavier one of the same shaft will launch lower.

Bring the backspin down and keep it from ballooning and fighting ball flight laws. You'll see a little more carry and a lot more roll because the ball won't fight itself at the end of it's flight. Reason I said a heavier shaft earlier was because the same shaft at a heavier weight would keep launch virtually the same but cut down backspin.

well said sir.

Gotta compare apples and apples, not apples and bananas.

I really hate trying to "fit" a shaft without actually seeing the ballflight and swing in person. There is so much art in the process of picking the correct shaft, that I would hate to make a recommendation based on what I have read, and have it be not even close.

That being said, Based on your Launch #'s, I would recommend a lower spinning shaft, as the launch angle is nearly perfect. If you want to launch the ball higher, and keep the lower spin #'s, it will mean changing heads.

Another alternative to launching the ball higher at the same loft but cutting spin is to go to a lower spinning head than your current driver. If you want to experiment with a lower spinning head at the same loft, a few good ones that can be had cheap are the Adams 9015d, Bridgestone J33R, Geek DCT, Cally FT-3 Tour. Those can all be had pretty cheap and they spin less than your Super-Tri.

If you want to use that head and want to slightly raise the launch angle while keeping the spin the same or a little less, you have very few alternatives. (High launch, low spin is a tricky proposition for finding a shaft as practically nothing exists in the profile). One that launches a little higher and spins about the same (maybe less depending on your angle of attack) the Harrison Saga would fit the bill as would the Grafalloy ProLaunch Red. The Fubuki is another alternative, as is the Diamana Red Board, UST Attas, Graphite Designs DI, Diamana Kai'Li, UST AXIVcore Tour Black, Graphite Designs YSQ 75, Motore F3, Diamana Blueboard (this one would actually launch close to the same angle but with less spin).

That said, like Nic said, it's kind of hard to do anything except throw out names based on shaft profiles though, as your particular swing has an effect on what shaft will work for you and we can't see your swing in written text. A lot is dependent upon your angle of attack. One way to raise launch angle with the same head and shaft would be to increase your angle of attack positive, in other words, hit up more on the ball. What's your normal ball position for your driver? Try moving it a ball forward of where you normally play it(for example if it's just inside your target side toe, put it in line with the tip of your toe). This will increase the angle of attack, raising launch angle while everything else as far as variables will stay the same. That's one thing Bubba Watson does so well that allows him to play a low lofted head with a low launch low spin shaft, he increased his launch angle by increasing the angle of attack. He still has the low spin because of the shaft/head combo, but the launch angle is increased slightly due to a more positive angle of attack. The only other option other than varying the angle of attack to get launch up while keeping spin down or the same id to keep the same head and shaft but go up in loft.

I went up 2 degrees of loft this past season, personally. My old driver and drivers I'd played for years were all 8.5 degrees of loft. Late last season and the first month of this one, I went to a 9.5 with a blueboard. It helped some, but I still wasn't happy. I now play a 10.5 loft driver with a low launch, low spin shaft. I also have a positive angle of attack. THe reasoning behind going up in loft but down in launch and spin profiles in shaft? The higher loft cut sidespin, thus meaning straighter ball flight. The shaft and head cut spin, as both are low spin. The club? Adams 9032ls with a Tour Issued Gold Matrix F7M2 LTD. The only lower launching shaft Matrix offers is the TP7HD, and since I got the F7M2 LTD for free and the TP7HD is a $1,000 shaft, I decided that I'd save the money. It has lengthened and straightened the driver out a ton for me.

In The Bag

Dang you guys really gave me a lot of info here, Thanks a lot I mean it. I don't really want spend the money for another SuperTri head and most of the High Launch / Low Spin shafts, if there really is such a thing, are rather expensive. So would going to a 10.5 low spin head like the 9015D and a low spin shaft "possibly" be a good combo to try out based on my numbers and the desire to increase my ball flight?

There are several great options out there that are a season or two old that are on closeout that might fit the bill without breaking the bank. I have found that chasing a shaft around can be an expensive proposition. Look at the 9015D. There are tons of these available out there that can be had for a song. There are probably 3 guys at my shop who still game this head. Perhaps a SuperDeep head?? I thought that TM had discontinued this club, so that means that fitting accounts should be clearing out fitting components. just a thought.

Yeah every where I look I see guys talking about the 9015D and I have found some rather cheap, I'll be keeping my eye out for one. I really should give this SuperTri a little more time as it is new to me but I'd like to try a 10.5 9015D with a lower launching shaft just as an experiment.

Archived