Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
MattF

Committed for the next 2 years

16 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

Sounds like a great deal alright. At first I thought you meant $200/mo. But now I'm thinking it's $200 total for two years.!! Is that correct? I can't see how that works for the club exactly. I know it would certainly work for me but that's usually not the point of a business if you intend to remain a business. That's essentially free golf.  So for the next 24 months it will cost you $8.33/mo. to play all the golf you desire. What benefit is that for the club? That's chump change.

Don't get me wrong. Unbelievable deal and I'm glad you got it. It's the economics that I don't understand. 🤔

Yes mate, $200 for 2 years, just pay cart fees of $15 for 18 holes.

I would expect, as @MaxEntropy said, that are willing to take a loss for a certain number of memberships to make it up in cart fees and food and drink. They did say that there was a limited number of these memberships available so I don't think they're going to lose their arse on the deal...hell, I might even buy a beer at the end of my round!

Thanks everyone. If you're around this way and want to play, I can make a tee time! 😁

• Like 4

19 hours ago, MattF said:

As I alluded to in the 2019 Golf Objectives thread, here goes:

Got a HELL of a deal for golf for the next 2 years. Windmill Lakes in Ravenna, OH is running a deal for a limited number of memberships at $200 for 2 years unlimited golf, just pay $15 cart fee for 18 or $7.50 for 9. Play any time during the week and on weekends and holidays play after 11am. So, I'm now committed to playing at least once on the weekends once the season starts. 👍

Looks like I'll be buying a push cart. 😀

Chanin asked my last night if I wanted to do it and I initially said no, my reason is it's playing the same course (a tough one) all the time. BUT, after thinking it over last night and this morning I went for it as it now commits me to playing at least once per week (and more time permitting) while costing me pennies. No more hunting for deals, just book a tee time 3 days in advance and play. 🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️

A membership will do your game a lot of good. I know plenty of guys who don't want to feel "stuck" at one course, but the truth is those other courses are still out there for you to play. However, now you have a good deal on a course you enjoy (I'm assuming or why else get a membership) and can play in between the times you play elsewhere. A membership will enable you to better know the course staff and other members - there's also a decent chance you'll inherit some course knowledge you didn't have previously. I'm sure the course won't seem as difficult after 2 years. It will most definitely help your game if you get out there with some regularity.

• Like 3

Wow! Insane deals y’all are sharing here! Holy moly. Our pub-links charges $85 a MONTH and that doesn’t include a range deal, and carts are still $15. It’s not worth it, but $200 for 2 years would be!!!!! Man. I’m jealous....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

23 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

However, now you have a good deal on a course you enjoy (I'm assuming or why else get a membership)

I haven't played the course in a number of years, but I jumped at the deal because it's just too good to pass up. Plus, the course has a reputation of always being in great shape.

12 hours ago, PMookie said:

Man. I’m jealous....

It's such a great deal I'm mad at myself! 🤣

• Like 1

The city owned muni in town offers a walking only membership for $60 a month, which is $720 a year, or $1,440 for two years. $200 for two years is basically giving it away.  I would imagine that their hope is that you ride in a cart every time you play.  10 rounds a month @ $15 a round is $150, easily making up for the loss in greens fees. The ROI for you in this deal is nominal, and I can walk a lot of rounds of golf at that price.

I've looked into several courses locally where memberships are needed to join (private courses) and none of them make sense financially for me.  The one private club where my buddy is a member and we have our Tuesday evening league during the spring and summer starts at about $350 a month, even before you tee it up once.  I couldn't even consider it because even if I walk they charge a trail fee just for that.  And if you get a cart it's like $25 every time.  Heck, my buddy bought his own cart to avoid the cart fees, but his club is still charging him a monthly fee (I forget what he told me it was) even when he has his own cart.

$200 for two years of golf, if you can walk for free is a steal in my mind.  But again, I am sure they are hoping you play enough with a cart to make this deal profitable for them.  

• Like 1

That's an insane deal .. ENJOY IT!! Literally unheard of around here on Long Island where it can cost me $200 for *one* round for my wife and I (though we typically play much more reasonably priced places!)...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GSwag said:

$200 for two years of golf, if you can walk for free is a steal in my mind.  But again, I am sure they are hoping you play enough with a cart to make this deal profitable for them. 

You can bet your house that I'm going to walk 90% of my rounds. I'm starting to look at push carts now and have it narrowed down to 2. Funnily enough, one's a 3 wheeler and the other is a 4 wheeler.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MattF said:

You can bet your house that I'm going to walk 90% of my rounds. I'm starting to look at push carts now and have it narrowed down to 2. Funnily enough, one's a 3 wheeler and the other is a 4 wheeler.

Matt, which ones are you looking at? I have a 4 wheel so could give you some input, especially on some of the less obvious characteristics.. 

• Like 2

Matt, which ones are you looking at? I have a 4 wheel so could give you some input, especially on some of the less obvious characteristics.. 
Second that. I have a Bag Boy Quad XL that I am really happy with!
  • Like 1

Make sure you try your bag on both before you buy, some cart bags are a bit awkward on some push carts

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Thanks mate, I'm looking at the CaddyTek Caddycruiser because there's a couple of features it has that most others have as extra accessories.

16 minutes ago, MattF said:

Thanks mate, I'm looking at the CaddyTek Caddycruiser because there's a couple of features it has that most others have as extra accessories.

I've got a Caddytek 4 wheel that my wife bought me for Christmas last year. A friend of mine has a 3 wheel Caddytek. Also I've got a Sun Mountain cart bag. The positives on the 4 wheel are a bit more stable, also the front wheels will extend out a bit (2 wheel settings on each side) so you don't have to worry about the bag fitting. The 3 wheel is a bit more maneuverable - but I just press down on the handle (lifting the front wheels when I'm walking.  The only fussy thing that annoys me between the 3 vs.4 wheel is that since the bag on the 3 wheel sits higher the bag is less likely to get muddy. Our course doesn't drain well so in the spring and fall, it gets a bit muddy and the front wheels splash some of that onto the bag.

Otherwise I really like the Caddytek and it does have a great price point. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MattF said:

As long as it has storage for vape juice and batteries, you are good, right?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I've got a Caddytek 4 wheel that my wife bought me for Christmas last year. A friend of mine has a 3 wheel Caddytek. Also I've got a Sun Mountain cart bag. The positives on the 4 wheel are a bit more stable, also the front wheels will extend out a bit (2 wheel settings on each side) so you don't have to worry about the bag fitting. The 3 wheel is a bit more maneuverable - but I just press down on the handle (lifting the front wheels when I'm walking.  The only fussy thing that annoys me between the 3 vs.4 wheel is that since the bag on the 3 wheel sits higher the bag is less likely to get muddy. Our course doesn't drain well so in the spring and fall, it gets a bit muddy and the front wheels splash some of that onto the bag.

Otherwise I really like the Caddytek and it does have a great price point. 

Thank you sir! Actually, I think I'm going to go with the 3 wheel CaddyTek because it has the same features at the 4 wheel, but the front wheel swivels.

4 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

As long as it has storage for vape juice and batteries, you are good, right?

Damn right!

1 hour ago, Mr_Theoo said:

So it’s safe to say we will be meeting there at least once right @MaxEntropy

Absolutely mate.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MattF said:

Thank you sir! Actually, I think I'm going to go with the 3 wheel CaddyTek because it has the same features at the 4 wheel, but the front wheel swivels.

Damn right!

Absolutely mate.

Good choice! 

• Like 1

Damn jealous of the pricing on some of the memberships in here. 1) I don't think courses by even do yearly memberships 2) in NJ I doubt it would anywhere that cheap

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Matt - That's an unbelievable price.  I paid more than that per month for a fairly cheap club here in Richmond 10 years ago.  I'd jump on that in a second and not feel the least bit guilty if I played somewhere else.

I'm guessing that their marginal cost for a walking round of golf is somewhere in the neighborhood of zero.  That being the case, if they get anything out of you, it's at least a little bit of positive contribution margin.  Then if you take carts, eat, buy balls, bring friends, etc., that's more business that they wouldn't have gotten from you if you hadn't bought the membership.  

• Like 1