Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
Sluggo42

Is golf your main hobby, or just one of many?

In my teens. 20s. and most of my 30s, golf was a hobby that I loved along with fishing, hunting. camping, and a ton of competitive softbsll leagues and tournies. I mostly stopped to raise a kid and got back in to it heavy last year. At 51 Im a much better player. Ive learned that I cpuld be just fine giving up hunting. and limiting the camping and fishing trips each year. Ive  harvested lots of fush and game, but have yet to play Pebble. Bethpage, Streamsong, and so many others. So many courses so little time.

Im all in on making game my main hobby. 

• Like 1

Great topic!  Currently besides golf, during the winter, I participate in a candlepin bowling league.  For those of you outside MA, NH, Maine, and the Canadian Maritime Providences, here’s a peek:  

In my 20s all I did for fun was surf and play video games. Then, surfing started to hurt a lot in my lower back and neck so I started to just play video games. Friends kept bugging me to come and play golf for the first time in 10 years and now it has taken over for surfing and become my main hobby.

Now that I've discovered CBD I should get back in the water and see if it helps. Certainly helps my back the next morning, combined with a few golf-specific yoga stretches.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike Lambert said:

Great topic!  Currently besides golf, during the winter, I participate in a candlepin bowling league.  For those of you outside MA, NH, Maine, and the Canadian Maritime Providences, here’s a peek:  

Also:  

• Like 2

Fly fishing #1 and golf a close #2.  I've been golfing since early childhood and started fly fishing in college.  I find them to be similar in some regards - particularly how tempo in either a swing or cast dictates results.  I use to build custom rods (only occasionally now) and still do lots of fly tying.  Both of these greatly expand aspects of the sport and time spent on it.  We live in fly fishing central, on the Ruby River, and within 30-90 minutes drive to the Madison, Beaverhead, Big Hole, Missouri, and Jefferson Rivers - not to mentions a handful of lakes and many creeks.  At #3 would be our more recent liking to rock-hounding.  My wife and I are starting to progress into those people who walk about looking at their shoes all the time 😁.  Today is her birthday and she's getting a rock polisher 👍.

• Like 3

Golf is definitely#1. Used to fly RC airplanes but the new FAA regs put an end to that, and woodworking just doesn't interest me anymore. All I think about is getting out on the course

Chris

• Like 1

My hobbies are seasonal as I live in Michigan. I golf and fish when the weather is nice, hunt in the fall, woodworking and indoor soccer in the winter.

Provided the correct climate, Golf would probably be my main hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Fly fishing #1 and golf a close #2.  I've been golfing since early childhood and started fly fishing in college.  I find them to be similar in some regards - particularly how tempo in either a swing or cast dictates results.  I use to build custom rods (only occasionally now) and still do lots of fly tying.  Both of these greatly expand aspects of the sport and time spent on it.  We live in fly fishing central, on the Ruby River, and within 30-90 minutes drive to the Madison, Beaverhead, Big Hole, Missouri, and Jefferson Rivers - not to mentions a handful of lakes and many creeks.  At #3 would be our more recent liking to rock-hounding.  My wife and I are starting to progress into those people who walk about looking at their shoes all the time 😁.  Today is her birthday and she's getting a rock polisher 👍.

If you ever need pheasant tail feathers or duck feathers let me know I can send you some for your tying

• Like 2

On 12/17/2018 at 8:39 PM, cnosil said:

Golf is pretty much my only hobby.  Have thought about trying other things,  but never get really motivated to do anything.  

I play once a week and spend a bunch of other time testing for MGS.  I will probably spend more time at the range over the winter and into the spring to try and improve.   I really enjoy learning about new equipment,  how all the tech works, and trying to get better.  

What a crock! Golf gets in the way of your contest entries!😆😆

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

What a crock! Golf gets in the way of your contest entries!😆😆

What contest entries?   I am one of the Most Wanted Testers so I hang out at MGS headquarters and test clubs during the year.  Learning about advances in golf clubs is kind of a hobby.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What contest entries?   I am one of the Most Wanted Testers so I hang out at MGS headquarters and test clubs during the year.  Learning about advances in golf clubs is kind of a hobby.  

My bad!🤷‍♂️ I was looking at your profile pic and looks exactly like our resident lucky contest winner's. I humbly apologize.

• Like 2

I played rugby for 20 years and hung the cleats up a couple years ago and got back into golf as my hobby, really not into much else, practicing indoors during the winter counting the months until golf is back

Sent from my SM-N960W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Its my main hobby.  I do like going to the gun range during the winter months but since Ive stopped fishing, hunting, snowmobiling and riding ATVs/dirtbikes; golf has become my main.

• Like 1

I'm a classic recliner rat.

If it weren't for golf and dog-walking,  walking between car and building would have been my entire outdoor experience.

I didn't have a deck to sleep or read on when I lived in the city.

I do eat meat and a little bit of fish, yes,

but thanks to somebody having mercifully invented supermarkets and restaurants, 

I'm not into doing my own wet work!

• Like 3

Growing up, I tried playing everything, but golf was the only thing that I was even halfway decent at.  And even then, I wasn't really good enough to make anything of it.  I was nowhere near good enough to play where I went to college, and they really weren't all that great.

I started playing USAV volleyball on our college club team.  I kept working at the club during the summers and I'd hit balls a few times a week (I knew I'd pick the game back up at some point), but I'd play fewer than 10 rounds a year.  I'd play beach volleyball on my (few and far between) days off.

Once I graduated, I had no money and no job at a golf course, so if I played three times a year, it was quite a bit.  But I was playing a ton of volleyball.  After working my way up the food chain, I had enough money to start playing a little golf, so it was that and volleyball, pretty equally.  Then I twisted my knee pretty nicely during a match, and as I limped over to the bench, my 8 1/2 month pregnant wife told me I needed to pick one vice and stick to it.  No question that it was going to be golf.

Since the kids came along, golf has varied along with them.  When my oldest was little, it was lots of pitch 'n' putt and short par 3s.  As she got older, the courses would get longer.  And then I started volunteering at The First Tee, which led to even more play.  We'd drag her little sister around, and now she's old enough to play from at least a few hundred yards away on a regulation course.  She wants to be competitive, so it'll be fun to see how good she can get.

Outside of golf, I cook a ton (I've worked in restaurants), and I code as a hobby to keep my skills sharp and maintain some credibility with the guys that work for me.  And I hang out here when I have the time.

• Like 4

Only thing that mattered to me from age 12 to about 30. Played and practiced everyday. Became a decent player, played a bit of college golf, maxing out at 2hdcp and several younger tournament wins. Then got a demanding job, married, kids, etc. Now play only about 10 times a month, but still consider myself a golfaholic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Main hobby of many. Cigars, motorcycle, scotch, and my pistol are all hobbies but none get me as pumped as going to golf. Thankfully golf can include a couple of the other hobbies as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3