Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Playing ball back = shorter irons ?

rk100

Hello MGS,

First-time poster to the forum!  At the range (hitting off mats) I started playing my ball one golfball length back and I've been making solid contact. When I played the ball from the middle of my stance I felt like I hit the mat first prior to hitting the ball.  I understanding this could be due to a host of other factors but is one of the factors that I'm playing with irons that need to be shortened?  I'm a 5'6' guy this 32' arms.   

Thanks,

R

IMG_7960 (1).jpg

It's likely that you are hanging back and flipping at impact, and thus moving the ball back in your stance moves the ball closer to the bottom of your swing arc and results in better contact.

Shorter irons wouldn't be the answer.  Getting lessons to improve your weight transfer and eliminate your hang back and hand flip would be the much better solution.

Edit: My advice is based on personal experience.  I, too, was finding that I did better with the ball back in my stance and that my punch shots were more consistent and flying better than my standard shots.  However playing the ball back on every shot severely limited me in terms of the ability to hit different shots and all of my clubs.

Getting lessons and working on my swing to get a proper weight shift and release is what helped me.

Hello MGS,
First-time poster to the forum!  At the range (hitting off mats) I started playing my ball one golfball length back and I've been making solid contact. When I played the ball from the middle of my stance I felt like I hit the mat first prior to hitting the ball.  I understanding this could be due to a host of other factors but is one of the factors that I'm playing with irons that need to be shortened?  I'm a 5'6' guy this 32' arms.   
Thanks,
R
898525872_IMG_7960(1).thumb.jpg.089d553a86d50d73886aac143ff413ce.jpg

You'll get some great feedback on this forum. But in the meantime welcome!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Jlukes, pretty much summed it up. I'd be 99.9999% sure you are flipping you hands and that's why moving the ball back helps. Shorter irons probably won't do it.

If you don't have access to a lesson, feel free to post a video of your swing, and we'lol do out best to help you! 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

11 minutes ago, jlukes said:

It's likely that you are hanging back and flipping at impact, and thus moving the ball back in your stance moves the ball closer to the bottom of your swing arc and results in better contact.

Shorter irons wouldn't be the answer.  Getting lessons to improve your weight transfer and eliminate your hang back and hand flip would be the much better solution.

Edit: My advice is based on personal experience.  I, too, was finding that I did better with the ball back in my stance and that my punch shots were more consistent and flying better than my standard shots.  However playing the ball back on every shot severely limited me in terms of the ability to hit different shots and all of my clubs.

Getting lessons and working on my swing to get a proper weight shift and release is what helped me.

@jlukes Thanks for the help, can you explain what your mean by "hanging back and flipping at impact".  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, rk100 said:

@jlukes Thanks for the help, can you explain what your mean by "hanging back and flipping at impact".  Thanks!

Absolutely.  Here are two good videos that talk about flipping and managing the face/path better.  The key is diagnosing the cause (is it poor turn or weight shift? Bad wrist angles? Bad movements from the top of the backswing?

Also, at 5' 6", assuming you play standard length irons, your iron length should be perfect. I don't know if you have been fitted, but the lie angle on your irons should be a little flatter than standard. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I'm sorry but I think everyone is spot on saying that there may be a slight flip to your movement.

For this I would maybe suggest the drill of putting one of your alignment rods against your iron grip so that it comes up by your left ribs at address. Take small controlled swings without having the rod hit you in the ribs. This will get you rotating more through impact

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

7 hours ago, rk100 said:

Hello MGS,

Thanks,

R

IMG_7960 (1).jpg

Welcome RK!  So, the bottom line is that you moved the ball back in your stance because you were hitting it fat?  

Sounds like a swing issue, not a club length issue but it would be a good idea to have the clubs checked out anyway, certainly for lie angle.  It's difficult to say why you tend to hit fat, since there are many ways to do that.  The suggestions provided are good if you don't have a good weight shift.  It could also be your swing plane; too steep or too flat.  Likely, at 5'6" I would guess too flat, but it's only a guess.  

You need to see a professional.  Trying to fix a swing issue with advice that doesn't apply to your swing is a recipe for disaster.  Yes, you could play the ball back in your stance and get around the course hitting low driving shots, but as @jlukes said, it limits your ability to play different shots.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks, everyone for the advice....I'll def check out the videos.  I plan on continuing to get lessons this spring and want to get an iron fitting this winter.  @Kenny B that's correct I moved the ball back before I felt like I was hitting it slightly fat and not pure.

I used to not be much of a ball position guy with my irons. I played the ball where I thought it felt and looked good; but usually too far back in my stance. Now days and after my instructor/coach showed me.... I play the ball further up in my stance depending on the iron. The only time I really play a ball "back" anymore is when I'm attempting a low punch-rescue or a knock-down into the green. The school of ball position is all over the map IMO.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Welcome, I might give a bit of an alternate answer.

If you are hitting on that surface I would suggest hitting off the other surface near the tee. Thin mats give false positives, cause joint discomfort and wear out the area you are standing for us lefties 🙂 

Secondly, It could be in the set up meaning if the club is set where the shaft is straight into the bottom of the club not soled, you could be adding loft and hitting into the back of the sole i.e. the same as a flip. Where setting the club back a ball diameter puts the club into the position it was designed for allowing for a great shot.

finally, yes have your proper length tested, just to make sure, one less thing in the mind to worry about when practicing or playing.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Thanks, everyone for the advice....I'll def check out the videos.  I plan on continuing to get lessons this spring and want to get an iron fitting this winter.  [mention=42521]Kenny B[/mention] that's correct I moved the ball back before I felt like I was hitting it slightly fat and not pure.
This video was just posted today. Great explanation of a top fitter suggesting someone with your issues fixing the swing before moving to something like shorter irons.

Archived