TESTERS WANTED! ×

Indoor Golf in Rhode Island

Wedgie

A new indoor golf place opened 20 minutes from my house.  4 trackman bays, lessons, simulated golf, etc...

http://newportindoorgolf.com/

Anyone ever go to a place like this?  If so, was it worth the money and what was your purpose and experience (play, practice)?

Thanks,

Wedgie

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

They had a place like this in Vegas a few years back but they used foresight monitors. 

When I first went I wasnt as serious about getting better with golf and I was just enjoying it. My friends and I would go there on days after work when there wasnt enough daylight left to get in some good practicing or a round. Also went on bad weather days, extreme wind, rain, etc. We also just played top courses that we only ever played in video games so that was awesome. I think this helped just keep your swing more fluid when you're not out playing regularly if the whether doesnt permit. 

Where I wish I had one now:

I'd love to go and get an idea of true distances( obviously a little different being a mat and perfect lie conditions but its better than nothing) of my clubs. Carry vs Total. I'm sure a lot of people would be surprised on the higher end of the handicap spectrum. 

The next thing I'd love to do is setup a flag from closer distances. 25, 40, 55, etc so I can get a good feeling of the swing and speed to get those distances. Half swings, 1/3 swings, etc. Once you get that you can work on doing the same but flying the distance or running the distance and all that. So many things you can try to dial in there that you couldnt do as easily at an outdoor range. 

Overall thoughts:

It's not the same as a driving range so dont go into it thinking that but it is nice have controlled temperatures, being more comfortable, etc. Those prices seem a little high but then again, they have trackman which is probably overkill for most of these places when it's indoors only. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

We had a place like that here in Dartmouth for a few years before it went under. Places like that are tough to maintain year-round with all the great courses around here that golfers head to as soon as the weather permits.

They're fun, and the cost is right if you get a few other players with you. It can feel claustrophobic at first, but you get used to it. Putting is always a joke on those.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Simulator for playing rounds (possibly with friends) - a lot of fun. Gets some swings in when the weather doesn't permit you to do it outside. There is no real punishment for mishits, so enjoy your perfect lies and test out being more aggressive with course management. I'd encourage you to explore the full course list. Sure, playing the greats is fun, but there are some completely made up courses that are great too. Also, TXG did a video or two about it, but for kicks and giggles you can set up the same conditions as some of the more famous shots from the greats and give it a go. After watching the video I was able to confirm I'm not Tiger and should continue to avoid this sort of shot 😉

Hitting bays for practice - The place I use has cameras set up facing you and from behind the ball down the line. As someone who had a lot to work on when I started in an indoor bay, I've made more progress on my swing here than anywhere else. The ability to review from both angles was HUGE in aligning what I wanted to happen vs how I thought the swing felt. It's still hitting off mats, but when grass isn't an option at all it'll do the trick.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Archived