Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Let’s be honest.Who is golf really for?

Big money

Golf is for all.

There are different levels of enjoyment and obsession just like in any hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

On 12/21/2018 at 6:36 PM, revkev said:

This is the 4th year we've had our staff party at the club.  They take great care of us.  The wine flows, no one is counting the actual number of drinks and the food is outstanding.  The venue is beautiful, the room well appointed, overlooks 18 and 9 and the wedding lawn where I once had a bride blow away on me (almost into a pond.)  I've posted pics of that view in pics from the course on several occasions.

I must say that our new event's director did not make a great first impression though.  Our last one was Aces.  She is pregnant with her first child, very happy for her, this one will not last unless she learns that personality counts.  And I'm pretty forgiving and gracious, she's going to fare far worse with many of the other members and other groups that come in.

She was visibly upset that we had the audacity to bring four extra people with us (we had tried to reach her yesterday to let her know and she didn't return our calls) and was not at all visible during the party itself, didn't check in on us once and never with me at all until the end when she was concerned about payment.  Of course I had already settled up with the girls because I wanted to make sure that they got tipped properly for their efforts - over and above the 19 percent on the tab - that means that she didn't communicate with them.  Very poor form to ask a long standing member who is a pastor about the tab when he has already paid it - I bring the club at least 10K in business every year - this party is always between 1500 and 2000 and I'm good for at least one wedding reception, sometimes more.

My wife was an events and activities coordinator and later, director for about 12 years before transitioning into business and economic development.  Once we had children, working late nights and virtually every weekend became something she no longer cared to do.

She often says in the events field, personality is 85% of the job.  It comes naturally to some, other have to work at it.  Those who don't learn the distinction between the two will be doing something different in short order.

This is the 4th year we've had our staff party at the club.  They take great care of us.  The wine flows, no one is counting the actual number of drinks and the food is outstanding.  The venue is beautiful, the room well appointed, overlooks 18 and 9 and the wedding lawn where I once had a bride blow away on me (almost into a pond.)  I've posted pics of that view in pics from the course on several occasions.
I must say that our new event's director did not make a great first impression though.  Our last one was Aces.  She is pregnant with her first child, very happy for her, this one will not last unless she learns that personality counts.  And I'm pretty forgiving and gracious, she's going to fare far worse with many of the other members and other groups that come in.
She was visibly upset that we had the audacity to bring four extra people with us (we had tried to reach her yesterday to let her know and she didn't return our calls) and was not at all visible during the party itself, didn't check in on us once and never with me at all until the end when she was concerned about payment.  Of course I had already settled up with the girls because I wanted to make sure that they got tipped properly for their efforts - over and above the 19 percent on the tab - that means that she didn't communicate with them.  Very poor form to ask a long standing member who is a pastor about the tab when he has already paid it - I bring the club at least 10K in business every year - this party is always between 1500 and 2000 and I'm good for at least one wedding reception, sometimes more.

Unfortunately they made a bad hire probably a daughter or daughter in law of a member. If there is enough problems they will ease her out, Martorelli a position better suited for her.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, Twofer said:

What segment or social class is golf really meant for?What would be some of the bare economic standards needed 

This is starting to sound like a grad student putting together their final thesis.  Since you are so new to MGS, TWOFER, I think you need to give us a bit more reason to keep this game going.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

38 minutes ago, kardboard.kid said:

This is starting to sound like a grad student putting together their final thesis.  Since you are so new to MGS, TWOFER, I think you need to give us a bit more reason to keep this game going.

Yeah this is kind of looking like someone researching.  It’s a hobby for the large majority of society each one does it fit different reasons and goes about the season differently. Like any hobby it can be enjoyed by all and for a long time

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Id say its probably for middle middle class or higher.  It takes someone who both has the disposable income for golf and has the time to practice and play.

Golf doesnt have to be expensive but it does take time and dedication to play golf at a level where its actually enjoyable.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, Zengolfer said:

Id say its probably for middle middle class or higher.  It takes someone who both has the disposable income for golf and has the time to practice and play.

Golf doesnt have to be expensive but it does take time and dedication to play golf at a level where its actually enjoyable.

Do you think the guy or girl that goes out with his buddies every weekend to spend time with them and doesn’t care if he scores high or low doesn’t enjoy golf?  

Imo everyone plays for different reasons and gets enjoyment from it in different ways. Sure some may get upset at a bad round but at the end of the day they still had fun and enjoyed the round 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

So many good takes here... it's tough to add to them.  So let me just mix this in... it's possible to play golf for free if you want it badly enough.  Get a part-time job at a course, or volunteer at a First Tee facility with a course.  Hell, they'll probably have an old set they'll lend you if you don't have any equipment.  So if you're really looking to control costs, you can probably get away with playing for the cost of balls and gas to/from the course.  That's about as accessible as it gets.

Now, what I'd love to see is big-name private clubs raffle off tee times to raise money for a grow-the-game initiative.  Please tell me that if ANGC, Shinnecock Hills, Cypress Point and the like did such a thing that they wouldn't raise a fortune.  And generate some goodwill in the process.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

18 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Do you think the guy or girl that goes out with his buddies every weekend to spend time with them and doesn’t care if he scores high or low doesn’t enjoy golf?  

Imo everyone plays for different reasons and gets enjoyment from it in different ways. Sure some may get upset at a bad round but at the end of the day they still had fun and enjoyed the round 

I can tell you from personal experience that most of them probably dont enjoy it all that much.  I see a lot of fear, anxiety and self-loathing in the random groups that I get places with when I show up as a single.

Golf is something that takes time, dedication and practice to play at a level where its fun.  Anything other than that, even in people who say they dont care what they shoot, is little more than someone being a good sport, IMO.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, Zengolfer said:

I can tell you from personal experience that most of them probably dont enjoy it all that much.  I see a lot of fear, anxiety and self-loathing in the random groups that I get places with when I show up as a single.

Golf is something that takes time, dedication and practice to play at a level where its fun.  Anything other than that, even in people who say they dont care what they shoot, is little more than someone being a good sport, IMO.

Have you gone to talk to any of them to see if what you perceived as them not enjoying themselves is true.  When I first started playing I would have done very high scores and would be frustrated. I would throw clubs, get ticked off, etc. but at the end of the day I still enjoyed myself and the round. 

To say those fandoms you see or to say it takes time and practice to get to a level of enjoyment is painting with a petty big brush and a very broad geverailztion that imo isn’t really true.

i play a lot of golf with random pairings of all skill levels and there hasn’t been one person who I met that walked off the course and didn’t have some enjoyment from playing the game. I recently played with an older couple who played from the same tees I did an they never reached the fairway off the tee and rarely had a chance to make par. They play 3-5 times a week because they enjoy being on the course and playing g the game. Could they enjoy it more by moving up a tee box or two? Probably but they choose not too and never complained once about not hitting the fairway or getting on/near the green in regulation 

What segment or social class is golf really meant for?What would be some of the bare economic standards needed 

I think that golf is for anyone that wants to play. I think "most" people could/can play at an expense that is in their comfort zone.

I might be wrong, but I took this question as: who is/was  golf "originally" meant for? 

I don't think golf was originally meant for people like me... working class, moderate  income, considered "uneducated", raw/rough around the edges and common. To some extent, I think golf is still perceived that way. I also think there is a large segment out there that wishes it was this way.

So many good takes here... it's tough to add to them.  So let me just mix this in... it's possible to play golf for free if you want it badly enough.  Get a part-time job at a course, or volunteer at a First Tee facility with a course.  Hell, they'll probably have an old set they'll lend you if you don't have any equipment.  So if you're really looking to control costs, you can probably get away with playing for the cost of balls and gas to/from the course.  That's about as accessible as it gets.
Now, what I'd love to see is big-name private clubs raffle off tee times to raise money for a grow-the-game initiative.  Please tell me that if ANGC, Shinnecock Hills, Cypress Point and the like did such a thing that they wouldn't raise a fortune.  And generate some goodwill in the process.

Our club participates in a number of auctions; Red Cross, local Symphony, etc and raffles off weekend getaways (room and fees) pretty popular with non members.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 hours ago, silver & black said:

I think that golf is for anyone that wants to play. I think "most" people could/can play at an expense that is in their comfort zone.

I might be wrong, but I took this question as: who is/was  golf "originally" meant for? 

I don't think golf was originally meant for people like me... working class, moderate  income, considered "uneducated", raw/rough around the edges and common. To some extent, I think golf is still perceived that way. I also think there is a large segment out there that wishes it was this way.

Given that the Scottish parliament banned the game back in the 15th century so men could spend more time training for archery, I like to think that golf started as a game of the people.  Obviously, that changed with the formation of private clubs.

But there's always been working-class heroes in the game, from Old and Young Tom Morris to Francis Ouimet to Arnold Palmer to Lee Trevino.  I really hope Tony Finau makes it big, because I think he could be this generation's Trevino.

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Our club participates in a number of auctions; Red Cross, local Symphony, etc and raffles off weekend getaways (room and fees) pretty popular with non members.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Awesome.  That's a great way to raise money for a good cause and provide access to the game.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived