TESTERS WANTED! ×

Blind buys

RickyBobby_PR

Do you ever blind buy equipment? If so what was your best and worse blind buy?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I rarely blind buy. I’ll usually hit something st least once before ordering it or buying if my specs are in stock.

my best blind buy was a seemore putter. It helped me with alignment and my stroke.

worst blind buy was TM RBZ 3w. As hot as it was I struggled hitting it off the deck and reminded me I need to stay away from 15* woods

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I used to buy blind a lot. I consider blind never trying the club but also the taking the club into the hitting bay and taking a couple of swings or rolling a few putts just judging feel.

I am more knowledgeable now and now evaluate performance of a club before purchase and try to understand how it will impact my game.

I still buy without actually trying the actual club I will own, but I will have done testing with a demo of the same model/shaft

Best Buy was a xenon putter that matched my specs. Never tried a xenon putter but it was perfect in every way. Unfortunately I was stupid and sold it.

Worst - there are lots of worst. But I would say Adams speedline 5 wood. Could never strike it consistently, Hybrids work so much better with my swing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I generally have a decent idea if something will work going in to a purchase, even if it's a blind buy.

Worst - Seemore Big FGP belly putter.  I was absolutely terrible with it.

Best - There have been quite a few that worked out well but probably my M2 3-wood I put together

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have bought blind a few times, but never will again. After being on MGS for a while, I am much more knowledgable, and realize how important fittings are. 

Best- I'd go with my PING Glide wedges, I bought them 3 years ago off DSG.com and still bag them today. I have hit tons of other wedges trying to replace them, and just can't. 

Worst- I have quite a few that would fit in this category but I'll say these 2 are tied for worst. 

One is a Taylormade Aeroburner 3 hybrid. That thing was setup probably 4° closed and it was a hook machine. I hated that club from the day I got it, to the day I sold it. 

The other was a Odyssey putter that was poorly fit to me. I couldn't find the broadside of a barn with that putter, let alone a tiny hole. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I’ve only done it a few times and thankfully they’ve came out well for me. The Tmag CB 3i I bought has been huge for me. As well as the cobra baffler 4w i got from GolfSmith before they closed

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Being fairly new to golf and not knowing anything everything I've had until the last month was a blind buy lol This is over the last 3ish years. 

Drivers- 

TM Aeroburner HL- Blind Buy  ( Worked well for just beginning) Sold Now. 

TM R15 12.5*- Blind Buy (Worked decent after developing a better swing) Need to Sell. 

TM 2016 M2- Blind Buy (Worked well but very inconsistent) Need to Sell.

3 Woods- 

TM RBZ Stage 2 15*- Blind Buy (Could never hit it) 

TM 2017 M1 HL- Blind Buy (Could never hit it) Sold

Hybrids-

Cobra F8 4H 22*- Blind Buy (Love this club and still game it)

Cobra F8 3H19* (Liked it but didnt perform much different than the 4H at 22*) Sold

Irons- 

TM RBZ 4-PW- Blind Buy (Worked great beginning) Sold

Cobra F7 One Length 5-GW- Blind Buy (Still gaming but looking to get fit for irons whether it be these or variable length)

Wedges- 

Cleveland 588 2.0 CB 50, 54, 58- Blind Buy (Still gaming 54, 50 was replaced by iron set GW)

Cleveland 588 2.0 Blade 58* (Love this club and probably my best as far as strokes gained when using it. Dont even know the bounce haha)

Clubs I have actually hit and been somewhat fitted for:

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Stiff  ( Love this thing)

Ping G400 5 wood Stiff (Love this as well. First fairway wood i've been able to hit well)

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

When I came back to golf 18 months ago, I blindly bought the Nike Vapor Pro irons I was gaming before MGS blessed me with the JPX 900 test. Heads were good but the shafts were fighting me, a little too soft.

Best blind buy was my 3W. Callaway CPO like new, came in the wrapper still with headcover for like $120 shipped to the rock. It's going to be hard to get that out of my bag, I don't even know if the TS line could do it, but I'm open to try (I'm a *****).

Now that I've seen what a fitting can do for me, I'll never buy blind again.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I have bought a few in my time....

Best was Ping Ketsch putter....original that was recalled due to Guerin Rife copyright infringement.

Worst was Bombtech 3W 4H and wedge set.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Worst for me was definitely an SLDR Mini. I couldn't hit that thing for crap. Just terrible for me.

Best was my Callaway Heavenwood. It's my security blanket, if my driver is off there's rounds where I'll pull it on every tee shot that's not a par 3. It's the V-series release and I'm terrified to move to a newer model in fear that it won't perform anywhere near as good for me.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I buy blind all the time haha. Word had to be the ping g20 hybrid. Thing was awful and I couldn’t hit it to save my life.

Best would have to be either the Heavenwood or my ER2.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Worst for me was definitely an SLDR Mini. I couldn't hit that thing for crap. Just terrible for me.
Best was my Callaway Heavenwood. It's my security blanket, if my driver is off there's rounds where I'll pull it on every tee shot that's not a par 3. It's the V-series release and I'm terrified to move to a newer model in fear that it won't perform anywhere near as good for me.

I have the great big Bertha model and feel the same way. Easiest club I’ve ever hit

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

1 minute ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

I have the great big Bertha model and feel the same way. Easiest club I’ve ever hit

I have the GBB 3w and I almost listed that! I have it lofted up to 4w territory and it's just a fairway finder. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

You mean like walking into a golf store at lunch to buy a bag of tees for Saturdays round and walking out with a driver you hadn't heard more than 20 minutes prior?  If so ....then possibly 😜

Worst blind buy was buying 16 degree driving iron I think it was one of the Cleveland models about 12 years ago or so.  This was before the hollow body models of today we're out.   Man that thing was impossible to hit.  And back the. I had a SS about 12 mph faster than now.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

My worst blind buy have to be a Cobra Speed LD driver and 3 wood, I think I could have thrown them better than I hit those things.

Best would probably be my Maltby DBMs, before I got the Bridgies I didn't think any club would replace them.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

2 hours ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

I buy blind all the time haha. Word had to be the ping g20 hybrid. Thing was awful and I couldn’t hit it to save my life.

Best would have to be either the Heavenwood or my ER2.

The g20 was my favorite hybrid until the titleist 816s. 

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You mean like walking into a golf store at lunch to buy a bag of tees for Saturdays round and walking out with a driver you hadn't heard more than 20 minutes prior?  If so ....then possibly 😜

Worst blind buy was buying 16 degree driving iron I think it was one of the Cleveland models about 12 years ago or so.  This was before the hollow body models of today we're out.   Man that thing was impossible to hit.  And back the. I had a SS about 12 mph faster than now.  

Maybe something like that. I almost bought a 4wood somewhat blind the other day but they didn’t have the loft I wanted so I looked around to see if there was anything else to buy but it’s their time of year to clear out stock so not much in there and they don’t buy a lot of the fall release stuff this time of year, do guess I’ll just have to wait and try everything in March 

Archived