Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Interesting section in this book when they basically lay out the statistics on tour pros from about 8 feet out. According to the book, as I recall, a tour pro will only make an eight footer a quarter of the time. What they are trying to get at is that it is much more valuable to work on lag putting - to prepare your mind and become cumfy with those types of putts.

I would follow that advice, but I can't help but stick it within 8 feet of the pin 99% of the time ;)

Well, lag putting is definitely is important - especially if you're not an exceptionally gifted ball striker who can stick it close to the pin every time. Even if you are, being good in that phase takes pressure off other parts of your game if you feel confident that you can drain it from anywhere or at least eliminate three putts.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Well, lag putting is definitely is important - especially if you're not an exceptionally gifted ball striker who can stick it close to the pin every time. Even if you are, being good in that phase takes pressure off other parts of your game if you feel confident that you can drain it from anywhere or at least eliminate three putts.

I tend to do just this. Irons are still a mess, chipping is progressing, but after spending a ton of time on the practice greens, my lags are pretty good. 8 ft or less. Can't always stick the 2nd, but many poor approaches have been salvaged by a good lag. I found that going to the range at unpopular times was key for this. Can use the whole practice green. I set it up sort of like the circle of balls around the cup at 3 feet drill, but I circled the green and putted at different a target from the different locations. Really helped the long touch.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I tend to do just this. Irons are still a mess, chipping is progressing, but after spending a ton of time on the practice greens, my lags are pretty good. 8 ft or less. Can't always stick the 2nd, but many poor approaches have been salvaged by a good lag. I found that going to the range at unpopular times was key for this. Can use the whole practice green. I set it up sort of like the circle of balls around the cup at 3 feet drill, but I circled the green and putted at different a target from the different locations. Really helped the long touch.

So, when you lag, are you going for the hole or an area around the hole? I found my lag putting improved when I started to not worry about making it as much and just focused on putting to a 3-foot circle around the hole. Sounds weird, I know. But I'm just trying to avoid a three putt when I'm that far out.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

So, when you lag, are you going for the hole or an area around the hole? I found my lag putting improved when I started to not worry about making it as much and just focused on putting to a 3-foot circle around the hole. Sounds weird, I know. But I'm just trying to avoid a three putt when I'm that far out.

Bob Rotella wags his finger at you! You putt to make it!

Just kidding, of course. I think it's interesting how some people will putt better trying to make everything and others use your system of lagging it close. I think Pelz is a lag guy, if I remember "The Bible" correctly. The one thing I like about trying to make it is that I know I won't leave a putt 6 feet short.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 10 months later...

When I watch Golf Channel, the pros also have tonnes of lag putts to deal with in any round. But what sets them apart is their ability to lag the ball very close to the hole, and even occasionally holing out from long distances.

The whole key here is to lag it really close, so that the second putt is pretty much a gimme. This plus occasional holing out from long distance, approach shots that land very near to the hole, anyone can score below par :)

Alas, many things in golf is easier said than done. :D

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Archived