Sign in to follow this  
GolfSpy STUDque

Forrest Fezler, remembered for protesting USGA by playing 18th hole of 1983 U.S. Open wearing shorts, has died

6D029FA5-48A4-4A36-95A0-B662E4ED8529.jpeg

From the news feed today.

It's sad that the first time I've heard this story was for Forest Fezler's passing but I'm glad to have read it nonetheless (I'm actually younger than the event itself 😊). Besides the fact that he had a hell of a golfer name, I think it's so awesome he had the guts to publicly throw a middle finger to the USGA in its biggest event. It's one thing to do it before missing the cut, it's another to do en route to a runner up finish on the 72nd hole. 

I'm sure this was quite controversial when it happened but could you imagine how bad it would be if someone did it now??? Social media would explode.

Check out the full story here: CLICK HERE

Forrest Fezler won a PGA Tour event and worked alongside renowned course architect Mike Strantz on many of his most notable projects, including his last, the renovation of the Shore Course at Monterey Peninsula Country Club.

Yet Fezler was best known and will forever be remembered for changing into “Larry Bird-length” shorts in a port-a-john between the 17th green and 18th tee in the 1983 U.S. Open at Oakmont Country Club.

“I went brain dead for a few minutes of my life and it brought me publicity for 30-some years,” he said in 2016. “I’m glad I did it.”

Fezler, 69, died on Friday. He had been battling brain cancer, his son Jordan noted earlier this week on Twitter.

In 1974, Fezler won the Southern Open and finished second in the U.S. Open at Winged Foot.

Fezler intended to make the 1983 season his last playing full-time on the PGA Tour. Two years earlier, in the U.S. Open at Merion, he and John Schroeder were both penalized for slow play. They argued their case and the penalties were rescinded, but Fezler’s anger lingered.

“What could I do to protest what happened a couple of years earlier and not get in trouble for?” he wrote on his website. “I figured shorts was the answer. It was not against the USGA dress policy and it was hot so why not.”

He wrote the temperature inside the cramped Port-a-John “was about 2000 degrees,” but he managed to change into Bermuda shorts.

“I ran up to the 18th tee barely able to breathe, eyes were watering, couldn’t see the ball. I was shaking and more scared than any time in my life. My heart was beating so fast. Thought I could pass out.”

He received perhaps the biggest ovation of his career approaching the 18th green.

Two years ago, Fezler ran into Brooks Koepka in Tallahassee, Fla., where Fezler Golf Services is located.

“We hadn’t met before,” Fezler told said in a telephone interview. “I was introduced to him and he says, ‘I know you. You’re the guy who wore the shorts.’

“Who finished second in the U.S. Open two years ago? Nobody remembers. I came in second in the U.S. Open. Nobody remembers that. But Brooks Koepka, he’s 25-years old. Thirty-two years ago, seven years before he was born, I wore shorts, and the first thing he says is, ‘I know you. You’re the guy who wore the shorts.’ On my tombstone that’s probably what it’s going to say.”

It ought to make room for his design work, too. When he left the tour, he had an opportunity to own a golf course, Golden Eagle Golf Club in Tallahassee.

“I had great fortune in having Tom Fazio and his design associate Mike Strantz design Golden Eagle…for me,” he wrote. “That was my first step in partaking in designing and building. Well, excuse the pun but I was ‘hooked.’

“A new love for me in golf grew and eventually Mike Strantz and I became partners in designing and building some of the greatest most respected courses in the country.”

• Like 1

Way too young - very sad news.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    RoyBoy44

• By Golfspy_CG2
      So there was a US Amateur Qualifer at a local club today that I used to belong to.   A young acquaintance of mine was playing and a good friend caddying for him.  So I decided to go walk their first 9 this morning with them before heading into work. 
      It was an eye opening experience.   I got to see a lot on the range.  It was filled with a bunch of "flat bellies" who all had the Jordan Spieth, Matthew Wolff, Collin Morikawa, Wyndham Clark etc look. 
      In other words, young athletic and tour looking swings.  It was impressive to see. 
      Even more impressive.  Having played this course dozens of times previously, I was able to see where I used to hit it too, and I couldn't sniff where these kids were landing.  And in many cases a tee box closer than I used to play. 
      Here is a picture I just happened to snap.  My friends player is the one walking without a bag.  His ball is ahead of him to the left, the furthest one out there.   He was routinely 30 yards ahead of the other two.   He stumbled to a bogey bogey finish for the day to shoot +1. He made the cut to the final round tomorrow.  He is 4 shots out if 4th place but about 28 players ahead of him. 
      Anyway it was a fun morning and a chance to see just how good a lot of these "kids" in college are.   I saw a couple of guys who looked to be in their 40's and 50's out there, that was good to see.  One of them on the range looked like he was swinging in slow motion compared to the young guys, but was getting it out there.  Just had a very smooth and efficient move that got it done. 

• By downlowkey
      Colorado Springs, CO - The Broadmoor is hosting the 39th U.S. Senior Open this week.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2018/u-s--senior-open.html#!Latest

The Broadmoor is celebrating its centennial this year. Over a rich 100 year history, the resort has hosted 8 USGA Championships (6 on the East Course). The 2018 US Senior Open is shaping up to be yet another feather in the cap of this 'AAA Five Diamond' facility's impressive list of successful USGA Championships beginning with Jack Nicklaus' victory in the 1959 U.S. Amateur.

Playing at ~6000 feet of altitude, the old farts are hitting the ball comparable distances to their younger counterparts on the PGA Tour. A looming front range uplift (Cheyenne Mountain) often makes the most experienced green readers appear illiterate. And as is typical of USGA Championships, firm and fast pre-cut conditions seem to be setting the field up for a 'War of Attrition' over the weekend.

Who among my fellow Spies is following the tourney this week? Will the USGA let another property "get away" from them over the weekend? Who will take home the hardware? Anyone else planning to attend the event this week?
    • By ronin1120
      Phil had a presser the other day and said that the USGA should use a "halfer" instead of the Stimpmeter to measure green speed. Anyone have any idea what a "halfer" is and how it works. Or, is Phil trolling every golfer in the world? 

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/phil-shinnecock-no-7-great-hole-until-usga-gets-hold-it/

thanks,

Charlie
    • By MGoBlue100
      Got a little inside info from a friend working with the maintenance boys at Shinnecock; cutting the fairways at .350", and the greens at .095   Except....  two greens will be cut at .105    One of those is almost certainly the seventh, site of the debacle in the last US Open held here.  Don't know which other green is getting this treatment.
    • By mwsb1998
      I was lucky enough to win the grand prize for the Masters round of the #SpyStaffSlam year long contest.  The prize was ANY set of Wilson irons custom built to my specs.  This probably won't be a great review, for that I apologize.  The "challenge" I had was last fall I was custom fit for a set of Mizuno JPX 900 forged irons, so I wasn't in the market for a new set of irons.  However, I needed to get my 12 year old son a new set as he's outgrown his junior set.  I was trying to figure this out for some time in terms of what to get him, senior/ladies/reg flex, a teen set, length and all of those things that had to be figured out with a pre-teen, not to mention that he's a lefty.  So I opted to use this chance to get him his irons (yes, I was very jealous - my first real set came from Kmart).  After looking at all the incredible choices Wilson offers I settled on the C300. These are beautiful irons for sure, and I elected not to get him the forged as the regular ones, as far as I researched, seemed to have some more forgiveness.  The challenge now is what to do with length, lie and flex.  I do not live close to a fitter so I had to take the static measurements, and research online.  I decided to go with the XP90 regular flex shaft as it seemed to be on the lighter side for, but also a regular flex so he can continue to grow into them.  The stock length of these irons is long (7 iron is 37.5" compared to my standard length of my JPX 900 which is 36.75"). So I had them cut .75" short, which made them just .25" shorter than my set.  He still needs to choke down on them, but they're more manageable.  To compensate for his height and the length of the clubs, I had them set at 1* flat.  For grips I got him the standard wilson grip.  These are beautiful clubs!  He was ready to go hit them right away and so we went out.  It will take some getting used to for sure, but it will come.  So while I cannot give you a full review of performance, the process was simple and they were shipped quickly and to spec. He is now set for this year and many to come and I am so looking forward to playing golf with him and my daughter for many years. Thank you My Golf Spy and Wilson for the amazing prize! It's the closest thing to winning the lottery as I'll ever get.

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!